February 4th, 2008

Clinton chairman: Obama would be good running mate

(CNN) - One of Hillary Clinton's top advisers said Monday Barack Obama could make a good running mate if the New York senator is the Democratic Party's nominee.

Appearing on NY1's "Inside City Hall," Clinton Campaign Chairman Terry McAuliffe praised Barack Obama’s ability to “excite people,” adding that Clinton “needs to make sure the next, whoever the next vice president is, could take over if anything happened to her” - though he said it was too early to seriously discuss potential vice presidential picks.

When he was asked directly whether adding Obama to a Clinton ticket would be a good idea, he responded: “Sure it would. Absolutely. How could you deny consideration of someone who has excited so many people?”

NY1 is owned by Time Warner, the parent company of CNN.

At CNN's debate in Los Angeles Thursday, both candidates were asked about the possibility of a joint ticket, regardless of who held the top spot – a suggestion that prompted cheering from the audience. Both suggested it was too early to discuss potential running mates.

CNN's Alexander Mooney

1. Please.

Obama better do it....or.....well.....she'll cry real hard, darn it.

I wonder if she does like Joey on the Friends episode where he said if he needs to cry in an acting scene, he cuts a hole in his pocket ahead of time & then pulls a hair from his leg - instant tears!

February 5, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  2. AJ

It would be a dream come true to get Bill along with Hillary. Finally, a way to get Bill back in office. Obama would just be the icing on the cake! Either way we win. It's time the democrats took the country back and straightened it out.

February 5, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  3. Steve

Shut up, McAuliffe. This is pure spin. I'm sure after constantly attacking Obama as inexperienced, Clinton is now going to do a 180 and say he's ready to take over on Day One when she drops dead or (more likely) is forced to resign because of some Bill-created scandal.

Obama would make a good nominee at the top of the ticket AND WITHOUT BILL ND HILLARY ON THE TICKET AT ALL!

February 5, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  4. Adam

Trusting any politician's words while running for President is moronic.

Look at their respective records, the decisions they've made and why.

Barack Obama's is far superior in every way.

I just read that Clinton's calling for one debate per week after Super Tuesday. The latest poll shows Obama with a 13-point lead in California...

GETTING SCARED, ARE YA, HIL?

February 5, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. Frank

Exactly what is this big change Obama is touting? I've visited his website and I've read his press releases and aside from the use of the word change; there is no evidence of any real change. He claims he will limit the power of lobbyists? How? He claims he will return our troops faster than the other candidates? How? He cliams to be able to support a health care program for our nations chidren? How. Can we stop asking who is the better candidate by first answering WHO HAS THE BETTER answers? I am not saying Hillary or Obama is a good candidate till they get their heads out of the "sound bites" and finally answer some of the hard questions.

February 5, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  6. Jessie

CNN will probably not post this. They post very few Obama negative comments and more than willing to post every single hateful anti-Hillary comment. CNN WILL MAKE A POINT NOT TO POST ANY COMMENT THAT CHALLENGES OBAMA'S RECORD. But I'm going to try anyway LEAVING OUT THE PART ABOUT OBAMA'S RECORD. You Obama supporters are mean-spirited and giving your candidate a bad name. I wouldn't be surprised if you are actually republicans making these hateful comments about Hillary Clinton.

February 5, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  7. patriotic

I'm excited about the possibilities of a Barack and Hil ticket: An empty skirt and an empty suit should guarantee a Republican victory over these Dhimmicrats.

February 5, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  8. Frank

Lobbyists aim their efforts at congressmen so any action on Baracks part to hinder lobbyists would have to be approved by the Senate and Congress. The troops withdrawals have to work in a way that would not imperil the troops as they withdrew requiring a strategic withdrawal and not a haphazard troop movement that would allow opportunistic attacks at the men and women leaving their posts and encampments. Finally, unless the healthcare companies are compelled to lower their premiums with incentives and coorperation between congress and the presidency no universal health care system will survive without crippling our economy. I would like to hear how the candidates would address each situation. Let's not forget the loss of the industrial base of this nation and how we can reclaim our compettiive edge in the world commerce without a huge infusion of capital and resources in our school systems. These will make our country strong....

February 5, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. Ratgurl

I'd prefer an OBAMA/Clinton ticket. Or even better, an OBAMA/EDWARDS ticket!! I think Barack is the only viable candidate who has the potential to change the "politics as usual" problem we've had for sooooo long. He seems to be the only one who doesn't owe anyone except the voters anything.

February 5, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  10. Frank

And finally, the vast majority of you sound like 3rd graders ...."My candidate is better than your candidate" Nyah!" I would love for those of you that are promoting your candidates to actually share some facts with us. So that we can actually make a decision on which candidate has the better ideas. This said. It's a disgrace that in this day and age people are still judging people not on their actual accomplishments but on factors like "who cried" and "who whined" or whose husband or wife. Can anyone talk about ISSUES?

February 5, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  11. TERRY

IF OBAMA WINS I WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN!!!

February 5, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  12. Cleetus

Drivin' Miss Hillary...........

February 5, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  13. Matt

I'm a true conservative and also a registered Republican, that being said I'm not impressed with any of the Republican candidates this year. My first choice for president would be Ron Paul, but that will never happen, my second choice is anyone that can beat Hilary Clinton....and that is Obama and only Obama. What do they say...."the enemy of my enemy is my friend"??

-m

February 5, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  14. j

Yeah, good ole George the "Uniter" sure fooled a lot of people. - Not me, I`m proud to say - As a Texan I saw how he "worked" and his "good ole boy charm" when he thought you could help him and turned his back on you when he no longer need you. ---That`s the George so many of us have learned to despise.

February 5, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  15. JB

Does anyone know exactly what Obama's message of change is? He has limited experience both domestically and internationally. I truly can't see what all the excitement is about. Hillary clearly walked all over him in the debate in LA – he was a stuttering mess, and a little self-righteous I might add. Hillary will win the nomination and the Presidency, you can see that already in the delegate count.

February 5, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  16. David Tomaselli, Houston, Texas

How could Hillary choose Barack as her VP without losing all credibility and being ridiculed for messing up her first major decision as the potential president. Are people already forgetting that she not only ran as the more experienced candidate, but said over and over that Obama is NOT ready and is NOT experienced enough to be president. How could she justify putting him in the number 2 spot if he is not ready? I am sure the MSM and democrats would just overlook that small thing – huh?

February 5, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  17. Joe

Hopefully Obama puts the final nail in the coffin for the Clinton legacy. This country can't afford to have Bubba back in the White-House chasing interns around.

The Dems think they have it all locked up. Good... keep right on thinking it.

The New England Patriots thought that too until about 9:10PM Sunday evening!

February 5, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  18. carlos acta

Hillary is a Democrat? Hmm, that's interesting. Because for the last 8 years I don't know what Hillary or for that matter this mealy mouthed pussillanimous democratic party have stood or fought for. Where did the Hillary that used to inspire people disappear to?

I PROUDLY VOTED FOR OBAMA today.

P.S. Experience should not be downplayed. However, how much experience did the current moron we've had as president have before he stole the 2000 election? At least Obama cannot be worse.

February 5, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  19. Kathy

Three thing that stuck me as I want reading through these responses.

I hope that each candidate chooses their own running mate based on their beliefs, who would work best with them and not based on popular opinion and emotion.

I think it is a sad commentary of people who can say that celebrities don't have the right to back a candidate of their choice. Isn't that our right in the United States? Do they have less rights then you or I. Truthfully I admire the celebs who have been backing democratic candidates because remember that both of the candidates they back support tax cut rollbacks for high income earners. To me that says that these celebs are willing to support a candidate that will tax them more. Perhap they are thinking of the good of the American people in general and excercising there right to free speech. I applaud the fact they have taken time out of their life to support something they believe in. Many of them support other worthwhile causes.

I get so angry when someone has the adacity to suggest that I should support a candidate because of their gender or suggest that I should consider race as a part of my decision making process. I voted for the candidate that inspired me the most, whose positions I agreed with and in whose character I can trust.

February 5, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  20. oc

I support Obama in the election.

I WILL NOT SUPPORT HIM IF HILLARY IS HIS RUNNING MATE.

I WILL NOT SUPPORT HILLARY IF OBAMA IS HERS.

These people are two very distinctly different types of politicians.

Her presence in his White House cabinet would undermine his credibility as far as I am concerned. The WORST thing Obama could do is choose Hillary as VP.

February 5, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  21. Jose Card - Independent

Obama: Clintons would be bad running mates.

February 5, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  22. edhavran

Hillary gets sick/ Yes she has the ability to do WHAT?

February 5, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  23. bambino

Do you think he would even consider getting on her wagon. Hey, and why are you'll claiming victory already. You bunch of hipocrites.

February 5, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. mb

Who else is scared to death of OBAMA, I can tell you just his name being one letter off OSAMA scares me. I know that background checks are done, but to have a successful mole, they are groomed from birth. Conspiracy theory, racial profiling, call it whatever you wish to I cannot support this guy and will vote Republican, even though I have always voted Democrat, just to ease my paranoia

February 5, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  25. Bdub

In every instance, remember that the candidates(99%) are for their careers first, then their party, then OUR country!

Having said the above, dare we say remember the OJ JURY?

With the treatment OUR country has given the JURY , who can blame their votes? Nobody.

S Carolina (85%) of the black vote was a sample of what's here, and with that in mind, If Senator Obama wins the Demo candidacy......what will the white vote of both parties be in the National election.

Maybe it will be McCain, that "moderate," the tainted hero (the Keating 5, Fiengold, T. Kennedy)

I probably won't vote knowing who our represetatives really careering for, and just have another drink. LOL that's lots of luck! W

February 5, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |