February 4th, 2008

Clinton chairman: Obama would be good running mate

(CNN) - One of Hillary Clinton's top advisers said Monday Barack Obama could make a good running mate if the New York senator is the Democratic Party's nominee.

Appearing on NY1's "Inside City Hall," Clinton Campaign Chairman Terry McAuliffe praised Barack Obama’s ability to “excite people,” adding that Clinton “needs to make sure the next, whoever the next vice president is, could take over if anything happened to her” - though he said it was too early to seriously discuss potential vice presidential picks.

When he was asked directly whether adding Obama to a Clinton ticket would be a good idea, he responded: “Sure it would. Absolutely. How could you deny consideration of someone who has excited so many people?”

NY1 is owned by Time Warner, the parent company of CNN.

At CNN's debate in Los Angeles Thursday, both candidates were asked about the possibility of a joint ticket, regardless of who held the top spot – a suggestion that prompted cheering from the audience. Both suggested it was too early to discuss potential running mates.

CNN's Alexander Mooney

1. Mark

I agree. Terry McCauliffe is like the "3rd Clinton" and every bit as sleazy. He is clearly just being patronizing and trying to marginalize Obama. I am a Democrat who will NEVER vote for a Clinton because all they care about is themselves and their own egos. They literally make me want to puke when I see them on tv.

Obama, on the other hand, is a transformative leader of REAL INTEGRITY (something that is nothing but a punchline for the "Clintonistas.")

Vote your hopes and not your fears tomorrow, America!!!!

GOBAMA '08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  2. Barb Phillips

I don't understand why people can't see experience is important and Obama has none. Look at what's going on in the real worldthere is a time to dream but this is not the time. Go Hillary

February 4, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  3. Mendemoi

Experience cannot be bought, it gets learnt. Clinton has been around the corridors of political experience much longer than Obama. She is also older than Obama. Has been in the Democratic party longer than Obama. The Democratic Leadership Council created by Bill Clinton did a lot in bringing Democrats back to power in the 90s. The Clinton administration cannot be disregared all of a sudden. I would rather have whatever magic Bill Clinton pulled to have such a fantastic economy in the 90s to be repeated by his wife if he can whisper it in her ears again on the pillows of the Whitehouse bedroom. There is nothing wrong with that. Barack has no national track record, the Clintons do. I think people are simply getting paranoid saying they don't want any more Clinton in the White House. WHAT'S BAD ABOUT REPEATING THE CLINTON-ERA GOOD LIGE rather than take a chance on another guy you like to have a beer with ...like Gorge Bush. Clinton as the nominee and Obama as running mate is a good idea but NOT the other way around.

February 4, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  4. Bill, Covington,LA

I could not care less what Terry McAuliffe may think. I'm here to inform him that the last person I would be excited by is a barak obama. I understand all the young white college girls "love " him, that's their problem. I will fail to vote rather than vote for him, clinton or McCain.

February 4, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  5. margot

PLEASE NO MORE BUSH OF ANY KIND AS PRES

February 4, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  6. BR

Sorry Terry, your desperation is showing! Obama's going to be at the top of the ticket!

Obama 08!

February 4, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  7. Bob

Honestly, I think they'd be great running mates. Similarities and differences aside, they could be a great team, and maybe pull our country up out of the frying pan the Bush Administration put us in and continues to do every time that "dee dee dee" mentions the words Iran, Al Quada or Iraq or just opens his mouth in general.

February 4, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  8. d

Obama is 'junior'....... he needs to be more involved in the Senate. Missed most of the voting... maybe he can catch up on that aspect of politics.

GO HILLIARY

February 4, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  9. Hillary voter from Illinois

Here's my opinion- If Obama wins, I am either voting for Mccain in Nov, or I am not voting at all. I just don't think Obama is up to par to handle the crisis in this country and oustise this country, He needs more years before getting himself into a serious involvement in the White House. I don't want to regret that I voted him for the sake of "feeling good about it" because he moves people. He's a good talker but I don't think he will bring the results this country needs.

February 4, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  10. azedine

i think if clinton is going to win her husband make another adventure

February 4, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  11. Ted Clark

Hillary should not hire Barack. He is too nosey.

February 4, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  12. Asha

This country is ready for CHANGE, and Obama is the only one that can bring change,we have had enough of the Clintons, Hillary likes to cry when it benefits her, emotional blackmail,typical Clinton style. GO OBAMA

February 4, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  13. Jim

NO MORE CLINTONS ( PERIOD )

Obama is way to smart to even think about it , Not going to happen.

February 4, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  14. Janel, St. Paul, MN

I can't even in my wild imagination think that Obama would agree to be Clinton's VP. I'm not even happy about her becoming his VP.

Let's let the Clinton's cool down.

OBAMA 08!!

February 4, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  15. Jose Card - Independent

It looks like after Hillary's tears were deemed wasted, they are bargaining for being Obama's V.P.

I don't think Obama is that stupid.
    V.P. Hillary will start campaigning on Day one for her 2012 election against Obama.
    Obama is better off with Kerry or Richardson for V.P.

February 4, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  16. John Adkisson, Sacramento, California

She knows he would never be part of a ticket back to the 20th century. This is a transparent attempt to lower his stature now that she is worried about losing. Another day-before-the election trick.

Let's count the other day-before-the election coincidences: (1) fairy tale; (2) emotional outburst; (3) casino accusation; (4) race; and (5) Rezco.

This is the reason so many of us long-time Democrats are tired of the Clintons - they are shameless.

February 4, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  17. mishte

oh, good grief.

I have never seen such a transparently uncouth political tactician as I have seen in Mrs. Clinton.

February 4, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  18. mr.fair tax

BOO BOO BOO THEY BOTH STINK WITH THEIR WEIRD IDEAS!

NO SOCIAL LIBS, LEAVE US REAL AMERICANS ALONE!!

February 4, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  19. Philip

It still bothers me that everyone seems to be banking on "hope" and "promises." Remember the Pied Piper? Dreams are good and nice and heartwarming - all so fuzzy. We'll find out in four years that we can't live on dreams unless someone can make them come true - and that someone is probably not someone with a flowery tongue and no experience.

February 4, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  20. James

NEWS CNN – Say it again!

Earlier I saw they were have live internet coverage of an Obama rally. Yet not one word of the national town hall meeting Hillary is having right now coast to coast on her web site and the Hallmark channel.

Hopefully the moderator (before it is over) will post and all you commenters can get the word out.

February 4, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  21. Rawle

Hillary need's to give up her votes now and save the embarrasment in the end.
    She and her running mate ex pres. needs to give-up, give-in, and allow America to become the super-power it has always been.

February 4, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  22. Debra Ziegelmeyer

I would just like to say that people forget we are in a war and need experience in the White House. I think Obama would be lucky to be asked to sit next to Clinton. I would like to know how Americans can forget that inexperience in the White House is what got us in the mess we are in. That an indorsement by the almighty Kennedy is not a good thing. Want more of what we have you'll have that with those Obama and Kennedy.

February 4, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  23. Karen, Jersey City

Hillary chairman is looking to save his job! I guess he thinks Nyers are foolish to give a vote for Hillary LOL!!!

Say NO to Broom Hillary and her gang of tricksters.

February 4, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  24. Elijah

Go Obama 08 ,,,,,,,,,

February 4, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  25. G KLINE

This is a ruse by McAuliffe, to get folks to back Hillary, thinking if they do that they'll also get Obama. This dream ticket will NEVER materialize. Study the factors and players. It just won't happen. Don't be fooled. And, just as an exercise, put all your emotional investments aside. Forget the names. Open up, and feel from your gut. This is Obama's time. Like it or not, he's the right person at the right time. You know this. No bad reflection on Hillary per se. She's fine. It's just that Obama is a perfect fit for this particular momeny in history. I know that's hard for those who have had Clinton in mind for a long time. Even if she wins. It would be a loss. This is Obams's moment. The times they are a changing.

February 4, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |