February 4th, 2008

Clinton chairman: Obama would be good running mate

(CNN) - One of Hillary Clinton's top advisers said Monday Barack Obama could make a good running mate if the New York senator is the Democratic Party's nominee.

Appearing on NY1's "Inside City Hall," Clinton Campaign Chairman Terry McAuliffe praised Barack Obama’s ability to “excite people,” adding that Clinton “needs to make sure the next, whoever the next vice president is, could take over if anything happened to her” - though he said it was too early to seriously discuss potential vice presidential picks.

When he was asked directly whether adding Obama to a Clinton ticket would be a good idea, he responded: “Sure it would. Absolutely. How could you deny consideration of someone who has excited so many people?”

NY1 is owned by Time Warner, the parent company of CNN.

At CNN's debate in Los Angeles Thursday, both candidates were asked about the possibility of a joint ticket, regardless of who held the top spot – a suggestion that prompted cheering from the audience. Both suggested it was too early to discuss potential running mates.

CNN's Alexander Mooney

1. Ben

We had good economy because of technology that was used during he war. Let anybody not fool you!

February 4, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  2. the one

Bill Clinton .... and JFK were younger and less experience than Barack Obama when they were elected President!!!

OBAMA 08

February 4, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  3. mishte

"CNN IS FAKE AND BACKING OBAMA"
    -------------
    This is a strange comment to post under this article... (I haven't found global bias on any of the major sites, its there with op/ed writers, but that's what they are paid to do)

This statement released today, of all days, means she is panicked. Big time. The only result behind this directive is to get undecides to vote for her, an offer of two-for-one.

Its pretty clever, on the surface, I must admit, but its crude and ugly and I don't want a president so Machiavellian and desperate.

February 4, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  4. kim

The more the Clinton camp opens their mouths the farther their foots get inserted. Obviously the Clintons need "obama" to try and sway voters, but Obama would never put Hillary on his ticket, or accept a VP position on hers. There are to many People who would never vote for her and it would cheapen him. Hillary has way too much baggage and Obama is fresh, why would he ruin it by adding her? He can run on his own merit without attaching a Clinton to his ticket.

February 4, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  5. Waiting in VA

Seems to be a concensus building that supports Obama's recent comments... Obama would get the votes of the Hillary supporters, but the reverse is not true in nearly the same proportion.

I am an independent voter that has traditionally voted Republican. However, Obama has captured my imagination in a way that I never believed a politician could. He really has given me hope that America's better days are ahead of us. I look forward to his presidency, which will hopefully be free of the Clinton's. (Why not Daschle for VP?)

Back to my initial comment, I would vote for Obama in a heartbeat regardless of what mule's rear end the GOP carts out there. But, given Hillary as an alternative, I cast my vote in the most relevant anti-Hillary way. Yes, even if that means voting for (gasp!) Romney.

February 4, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  6. Texas Tech University, Student

Hillary '08 :)

February 4, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  7. Dave. San Diego, CA

Rechi, try telling that to college DROP out CEO and founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates.

February 4, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  8. Byron

H-Nah, this isn't something we Obama voter's want to see. We are only for him, not Clinton at all. We don't think like her, we don't act like her, we don't have the same views, We DON'T LIKE HER.

February 4, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  9. Kathy

So according to them Obama is not ready to be president on Day 1 . . . however, as a vice president, if anything happens to the president, Obama is ready to be president on Day 1 . . . they can't have it both ways!

February 4, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  10. Greg

Obama/Oprah 08' the real winners... they can sit and do a talk show every morning... because that is all obama does.... talk talk talk... and never actually says how he is going to accomplish any of the thing he says he will

February 4, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  11. Prayu

Abraham Lincoln had about as much experience as Obama does. Bill Clinton didn't have much experience either when he was sworn in. And for that matter, plenty of recruiters from big companies always look for the best and brightest young college graduates. It's not always about experience.

Also, going on a ticket with Hillary would go against every major theme of his campaign, especially that of changing the politics of Washington. It's true that Obama would be a great boost for the Hillary campaign, but she'd be nothing but baggage if he got nominated. Obama brings voters outside of the Democratic mainstream; the youth vote, independents and far more Republican crossovers. She needs him, because she's a weaker overall candidate against the GOP.

February 4, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  12. OBAMA YES CLINTON NO

I LOVE BARAK OBAMA BUT IF HE RUNS ON A TICKET WITH HILLARY CLINTON, I WILL NOT VOTE FOR THEM. I WILL SADLY VOTE REPUBLICAN. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WOULD I EVER VOTE FOR HILLARY CLINTON. SHE IS JUST BAD NEWS. SHE COMES ACROSS AS SELF SERVING, DICTATORIAL, POLARIZING, AND PATRONIZING. ALL THE THINGS BARAK OBAMA IS NOT. I CAN NOT BELIEVE SOME ONE OF HIS TALENTS AND VISION WOULD EVER AGREE TO RUN AND A TICKET WITH THAT WOMAN

February 4, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  13. UJAMS

Why count your chicken before they are hatched? Let wait for the Democratic Party to select their presidential candidate

February 4, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  14. mgoody

I have been reading the mean spirited things you people say about Hillary. You don't talk about the issues that Obama stands for, all you talk about is talk. I mean he inspires you, to do what? If he was president today how would your lives be better? I want to know. I can say if Hillary was president today, everyone would have health insurance. We would be starting to bring the troops home. She would have a group of people on global warming, new jobs, making our country borders safe, their are so many things she would be doing. She does have experience . No matter what you think she is smart and can do so much for our country and my gosh President Bill Clinton was a great President!!!!! We had great jobs more money in our pockets we were out of debt now look where we are. I don't care what he did in the white house, He didn't do it to you so get over yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hillary for president (yeah)

February 4, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  15. Harrier

It's Obama's way or the highway! NO CLINTON TICKET!!

February 4, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  16. skipforbes

Hillary Clinton is clearly the right candidate for the Democrats this year. But let's see if tommorrow your circular firing squad in tandem with the shameless media hype of Obama can make the party a mega-looser one mo time.

February 4, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  17. Jay

Look what experience has done to our country. WE NEED CHANGE PERIOD!!!

Doing the same things expecting different results is INSANE!!

GO OBAMA 08!!

February 4, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  18. Dem08

How can people say Clinton needs Obama more. Last I looked, she has won more states, and continues to be the front-runner.

I am not sold on Obama. I do think he would work well with Clinton, and we would have a strong hold on the White house for 16 years.

February 4, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  19. Yommy

I have a very strong reason to belief that the media even CNN has been too biased against Clinton in their coverage. Most of the you mountain out of molehill on anything concerning Obama while you make significant issues about Hillary look insignificant. Sentiments apart, every discernible mind knows that America needs someone who is experienced enough to turn things around for good and for better,and that person is Hillary Rodham Clinton not somebody pursuing personal ambition with rhetorical lyrics. You may have personal or group issues to settle with Clintons but be patriotic to America by reportying events as they enfold. Thanks

February 4, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  20. James

Reichi, that was an incredibly stupid comment. You are probably one of those uneducated Clinton supporters who listens to other airheads rather than do your own research and watch the debates. It is no surprise that more educated people voted for Obama while the less educated voted for Clinton, according to exit polling.

February 4, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  21. Alice in Florida

If NObama wins, I go for McCain

Obama lost me once he played the race card

Sorry – the race card just makes me want to puke EVEN more than W does – and...

That's saying a LOT!!!!!!!!!!! – but after OJ, the Duke players, and Michael Jackson – I just can't take the race card anymore

NObama had me until he pulled the race card

Once he pulled that card, he lost me

Michelle can keep pulling it for him – so can Oprah

If NObama wins, I will stay home in November

I can't see a Republican again

But I really don't want to see someone who pulls the race card either

Not after OJ

I just can't swallow it – even though the media has – hook, line, and sinker

February 4, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  22. Ed K.

Obama fans base their support on like. The media has painted Obama as the second coming and the young people think they have found a prophet. The fact is, Obama is a good man with no experience. Just as Rechi comments, no company hires a unexperienced college grad into a position of importance. We are talking about the white house. How could Hillary justify asking someone with little experience be her running mate? Obama fans must realize., this is not a race to see who is the best dressed, talks the best or who is the coolest. This is for the office of the president of the untied states. WE need Max experience and leadership.

February 4, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  23. Sally Smith

I agree with Rechi, times were good when Bill was prez and all americans prospered woman and blacks especially but most of all the economy was very prosperous. It's fine to enjoy Obama's inspiration but you guys need experience not hope. I am canadian and i am watching this election and you guys need a boost in the economy not hope that it turns around. You don't have to personally like her to vote for her but you have to use common sense something that has been lacking for 7 years. On that topic you should consider to impeach that prez as he has cost america alot more than money. How about your soldiers lives. How about the people in your country that live on the street, how about Katrina. Any american should be ashamed of there government allowing Katrina to continue without any help.

February 4, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  24. renee

Senator Clinton has a substantive platform. Obama has rhetoric. Yes, he's exciting but he does not have the substance or vision of JFK or MLK.

He does generate excitement and that's the problem. He's generating excitement without substance. This is the same electorate that put George Buash in office twice. It has yet to learn to think.

February 4, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  25. Holly B

Not in a million years...she is too polarising for even Obama to help.

Obama + his wise choice 2008!!!

February 4, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |