February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Johnson

Her timing to get all emotional is always good. So far its never been during the weeks. Always on the eve of something important. Makes me wonder now what she is really up to.

February 4, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  2. Mary

Oh give me a break, Is this to hold onto California. Hillary you are making all of us women look weak.

February 4, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  3. Not Again!

This worked in New Hampshire....I CANNOT believe that this is THE tactic Mrs Clinton is using once again. BUT, if this indeed is honest, being a woman, it offends me that she is potraying a weak image to all. How many times have you seen Barack Obama crying?

February 4, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  4. Lisa in Iowa

I'm sorry, but this seems to me to be a last ditch effort to 'pull a New Hampshire' to gather the sympathy vote. Timing is everything. It won't work.

It will not change my mind. We need Obama.

February 4, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  5. Honest Heat

Here she goes again...

February 4, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  6. Daniel from Kansas

This time it won't work.

Tears will not get you elected, Hillary.

This is starting to look very PHONY, indeed.

February 4, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  7. WI FOR HILLARY

You have are a Chamion and will always be a champion in the whitehouse and in my heart. I love you.

February 4, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  8. Aj

LOL!!!! ANOTHER crying spell on the EVE b4 Super Tuesday.

TWO WORDS: New Hampshire

Then ask yourself if this is NOT calculated!!!

February 4, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  9. Ryan M. - Seattle

Give me a large-sized break. I really hope people realize that this tired act is completely disingenuous – especially on the eve of Super Tuesday. Fool me once (NH), shame on you – fool me twice, shame on me!

February 4, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  10. shamous mc

That's it, we HAVE to vote for her!
    She's bringing me to tears.

February 4, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  11. bbln

oh c'mon CNN – stop picking apart every emotional moment – stop baiting the clinton bashing already. BE FAIR.

February 4, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  12. Brian

OH NO! SHE'S CRYING AGAIN!

February 4, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  13. Trey

Come on. This sounds like the same thing she did before to get a boost in the polls. Seems as if she really is that calculating... If Obama could cry on demand maybe he could have won NH

February 4, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  14. Tyler in Raleigh

Here we go again.... 1, 2, 3, ACTION!!!!!!!!

No wonder HillBilly is dropping in the polls. The Billy acts like he has rabies and is wagging his fingers and telling US we should all be ashamed when he is an impeached, dibarred liar and Hilly cries when it might get her a pity vote.

Then she implies she is strong and he goes touring African-American Churchs. People still buy this??? We will see....

February 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  15. andrew s. rostolder hillsdale nj

i think crying is a sign of weakness, especially in a woman who is capable of using it as a ploy to get what she wants. maybe if obama farted he could level the playing field.

February 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  16. Patty Don't

Are people really stupid enough to buy this again? She's blatantly ripping herself off. COME ON!

February 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  17. Brad, Omaha NE

figures.

tell me again why anyone believes in this rubbish.

Obama 08

February 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  18. Larry, GA

Here we go again.

February 4, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  19. open your eyes - FL

So, hey everyone, seen the latest? Clinton is trying out for Days of Our Lives in addition to running for the President. What’s that you ask? Oh, yea, she cried again… this time in Connecticut. Why right now you wonder? Well, the audition is tomorrow! Oh, and she’s finally falling behind Barack next-to everywhere and tomorrow is Supah Dupah Tuesday.

Alright, seriously now… This is getting ridiculous. Are all you Clinton die-hards out there going to buy this one too? I’m all for having a woman President, but this woman is a total buffoon. The rest of the world already thinks this country is full of gullible idiots and if she somehow makes it into the White House I think I’m going to have to side with them. This is as if all of the other lying and deceiving by both of them (Hill and Bill) wasn’t bad enough already. People are coming around to it, but for the love of God… why is it taking so long?

Voting Bush in twice was one thing… That’s sort of excused… he at least was pretty secretive in his deception. Plus his whole, buddy buddy, let’s go drink a beer thing… However, this idiot is playing from the cheapest script ever written for a soap opera. Not even an American soap opera… one of those on Telemundo where the women cry through the entire episode and the men wear clown suits.

February 4, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  20. josh

shes a real persn thats wh i lve her

February 4, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  21. enomisa

Emotions are fine. What bothers me is the media circus around Obama. I do not share the same problems and struggles as the rich and famous. Hillary will represent the average hardworking American like myself. I do not want a President who is friends with all the influential and famous rich Americans. Who will own him?

February 4, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  22. josh

go hillar 08

February 4, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  23. therealist

Remembering her golden Goldwater college days with nostalgia no doubt. If I had sold my soul to get here, I'd be crying too..

February 4, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  24. Mark C. Eades

I won't claim to know what's instead Hillary's head, but if this was just a last-minute attempt at employing emotional manipulation to win votes as that last tearful moment in New Hampshire appeared to be, I don't think it will be quite so effective this time.

February 4, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  25. Tom

Again? This trick can only work once. How gullible does she think we are?

February 4, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |