February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Nicole

She cares for children yet supports them to be murdered in the womb. Blah, Blah, Blah......

February 4, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Again? The day before another primary(ies)? This can't be just a coincidence...

*slams head onto her desk*

February 4, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  3. Adam

Geez, not this again. I don't think I want a president who cries all the time...

February 4, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  4. JB

That's emotion? She didn't seem that emotional at all. Is this another desperate act to get attention when her campaign is floundering, lacking the excitement of Barack Obama, or the inspiration.

The first time it may work, the second time it seems staged.

I hope the media doesn't make such a big deal of this as they did in New Hampshire.

There is not allot here

February 4, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  5. Mike

STAND STRONG FOR CHANGE (OBAMA)

OR

FALL HARD FOR THE SAME (Clinton's)!!!

February 4, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  6. Smith Kathleen

This woman is so fake. She'll do anything to win. Tears worked in New Hampshire so she's doing it again.

February 4, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  7. Jeff

The mistress of manipulation strikes again. As Sen. Clinton is approaching another significant test in this political journey the tears again begin to show. As the race will still be tight following Super Tuesday, will the tears start to show more and more as the race heats up.

While some may say I am cynical, it is hard for me to swallow Sen. Clinton as being this emotional being as she has been devoid of tears for her political experience.

February 4, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  8. Boyddollar

Oh I'm going to tear up when she loses on "Super Tuesday"?

Obama – Wins by 60% of the Vote

February 4, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  9. ARundle

Hum, I don't mean to sound cynical but do you think Sen. Clinton is trying to duplicate the effect her tears had in N.H.?

February 4, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  10. George

She seems to be upset over Obama's closing the Gap. Perhaps the American people see you for the person you really are. I'm impressed that so many young and old are starting to come out for the clear choice for President.
    Go Obama 08. At least he won't cry about it.

February 4, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  11. crockett in houston

strange coincidence she tears up the day before the critical NH primary, and now again the day before super Tuesday.

Wow who would have thought!

February 4, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  12. Don't Care, Whoopdie Doo

Just in time for Super Tuesday. If she's off path now, then I wonder how she'll fair as president.

We best ignore this incident as it will be over played in the media and overshadow the real reasons to vote on Tuesday, like policies.

February 4, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  13. carso

Yea, she did this last time and it worked for her so why wouldn't she do it right before Super Tuesday again??? Too bad Hillary, I hope the tables turn around on u and the strategy not work this time around!

GO OBAMA. OBAMA 2008

February 4, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  14. Monut

Oh my! Hillary showed emotion!! Can you believe it?
    CNN, what's the big deal? Try reporting something with some value to the American voters.

February 4, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  15. Tee, NC

WOW talking about timing...we have already see this happen once do we really need to see it again. The misty eyes a day before NH and now a day before Super Tuesday

February 4, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  16. Wallace, Chicago, IL

I'm telling you Hillary, this is a mistake.
    I know you want the women vote, but strong women will see through this.

February 4, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  17. Dan, NJ

Will women be fooled again?

Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you.

Coincidence she cried one day before NH and now one day before Super Tuesday? Do she only feel emotion right before major votes?

And if my cynicism is correct, and this is genuine, that is bad too. I don't want a President who is likely to cry once a month. Its not about gender its about being presidential.

February 4, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  18. tomdavie

Yeah. have at it Obama fans.

You dont think for ONE MOMENT CNN posted this as a DIG at Clinton???

Keep on riggin the election CNN.

February 4, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  19. Joe Wheaton

Oh, please don't blow this out of proportion (CNN and the rest of the media) like you did before the NH primary. It's just some tears, don't make it a national obsession that is going to sway voters one way or the other. There are a lot of other important issues to cover between now and tomorrow's primaries. I would have thought CNN learned it's lesson after the NH primary. To the extent that someone's tears are going to change voters' minds, it should be limited to the voters who actually were there and not those who get to see it due to free media coverage.

February 4, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  20. wale azeez

I am going to cry my way to a promotion and a raise...heck if it works for hill who knows i might have a shot!!!

February 4, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  21. Calvin, Santa Fe, NM

OH PLEASE CNN... Stop fanning the anti-Clinton flames. She didn't get emotional AT ALL in this video.

BAD CNN. BAD BAD BAD CNN.

You are spreading lies and rumors, and showing a picture of her with reddened eyes from LACK OF SLEEP, and nothing else!!!

February 4, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  22. Chris

I was sympathetic of Clinton's emotion just before the New Hampshire primary, but having another teary-eyed moment the day before Super Tuesday is starting to push the limits of credibility.

February 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  23. Korn

why we have to be so are heartless. I couldn't believe you are attacking women who feel emotional about what she dose.

Please consider ourself and human

February 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  24. Robert

calculated

February 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  25. Sam

Another gimmick from the Clinton machine.

February 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |