February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. kaseam

This woman is a soap opera. She makes me sick.

February 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  2. Kyle Columbia SC

YOU GOT TO BE FREAKING KIDDING ME........................????? It's not April 1 so it can't be April FOOLs DAY? She cried in NH and won so now she brings out the tears again? GIVE THIS WOMAN AN OSCAR!! I don't want a PRESIDENT that cries when the tough gets going cause I'm sure fighting terriorst she'll be crying many nights!! Fighting with Iran she'll have bags under those eyes. Bill get a towel and put it over you shoulder you're gonna need it

February 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  3. Ryan M. - Seattle

Give me a large-sized break. I really hope people realize that this tired act is completely disingenuous – especially on the eve of Super Tuesday. Fool me once (NH), shame on you – fool me twice, shame on me!

February 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  4. Joe

She's pulling this again? Does she have no shame?
    Please stop insulting the intelligence of the American people.

February 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  5. Frank Mayans, Los Angeles

Hillary has always been a champion for children!

February 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  6. Decision2008

CNN – You are so pathetic! You just can't get over with people support Hillary not because gender, race but only only because she is the best qualified candidate!

February 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  7. Danielle

Again?? Seriously...

8. AJ

Is it a coincidence that her two teary eyed moments each come just one day before important primaries? Talk about flagrant scripting!

9. phil

crocadile tears

10. ANTI CLINTONS

That undecided voted voted for Obama by the way! The drama queer witch yells, cry's, raps, and lies her way up until now, she even has her big beer hole, gum flapping husband spewing his filth that hasn't changed in years.

People it is time for a change, a time for change to get rid of these two blow hards and turn them in the pages of mistakes and learn for mthese fools.

Obama is that cahnge, he is fresh and not a political hack like the Clintons are.

Obama!

11. E.J.

I gotta' wonder, if Hillary should become president, if she is going to cry for the next four years whenever a tough issue becomes sensitive, touching or hits her the wrong way or is she able to stand tough....no matter what?

12. Jonathan M.

What a great gameplan: attack, recant, cry, repeat. Please tell me people don't fall for this again.

13. greg,new york

crying huh!

14. Wallace, Chicago, IL

Come on CNN, post my comments... are you kidding?

How convenient.
    On the Monday before Super Tuesday she "wells up", yet again.

LOL.
    I have to give it up to them, they try everything.
    So, let me get this straight. She hasn't welled up since the eve of the New Hampshisre primary. Now on the eve of Super Tuesday, we once again see an "emotional" Clinton. How convenient.

C'mon Hillary. Seriously though.
    (shaking my head).

15. Alex

REALLY........how come this happens a day before super tuesday.....

16. Ryan (Minneapolis)

I guess she figured it worked once, why not give it another shot!

17. Lynne

You haters just won't stop. Clearly, none of you have been glowingly introduced at an event by a longtime friend, but it can be quite emotional. Hillary is not a robot and whenever she lets her guard down, you haters pounce on it. If this had happened last month or last week, you still would have said it was calculated.

18. John

"It's my primary and I'll cry if I want to"

I wonder if she cries for the children and families at home and abroad who have been broken by the war she voted for in Iraq.

19. Ez

Thats a good one senator Clinton... It worked in NH, I guess your advisers suggested you try it again because senator Obama has gained enormous momentum nationally....
    Fool America once, shame on you
    Fool America twice, shame on us!

February 4, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  20. pam Eugene OR

Oh my God~ The woman has no shame. I do not want a cry baby for President. She is so transparent. It won't work this time Hillary!!!!!

February 4, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  21. ChrisB GA

Deja Vu? What is this? There's no crying in baseba.. primaries.

February 4, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  22. Charles, Houston

Leave Hillary alone, this is ridiculous!

February 4, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  23. Darth Vadik, CA

Oh who cares about this, Romney fully sobbed and we didn't hear a word about it, CNN get over this crap please, live it to FAUX NEWS.

February 4, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  24. Steve, Houston, TX

If you are swayed by this, you are stupid.

February 4, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  25. Wise Electorate

As our COMMANGER IN CHIEF, will Hilary be crying all the time when she faces tough situations?

I find this hard to believe especially that she has ran a campaign on the premise that she is tough, expreienced and ready to lead on day one.

February 4, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |