February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. sharon

--------

CNN – stop picking
    CNN – stop baiting

CNN – BE FAIR

---------

February 4, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. Ty

This is a calculated strategy. On the contrary of what the media called as her "emotional moment", her "teary-eyed" act is an attempt to counter Barack Obama's momentum moving into Super Tuesday.

The strategy won't work because she has under-estimated the average intelligence of Democratic voters. And the act will reduce her as a typical "politician" who will do anything to get elected.

What a shame!

February 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. Sheila

God bless you Hillary for your tireless dedication to the smallest of us. I pray you will be given the opportunity to serve us all as the next President of the United States of America

February 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. Mike N Louisiana

THIS IS SO SO SO SO SAD HILLERY HAS TO CRY TO GET HER VOTES
    GET ON THE OBAMA TRAIN AND FOR ALL YOU OBAMA HATERS THAT SAY WELL WAIT TILL THE ROVE CLAN GETS TO HIM WELL YOU KNOW WHAT IF HILLERY WINS I WOULD VOTE FOR RON PAUL OR MCCAIN BEFORE I VOTE FOR THAT FAKE WITCH AND OLE WELL IF YOU SAY THAT ABOUT OBAMA AT LEAST HE DIDIN'T CRY WHEN HE LOST FL, NH, AND MI. WAKE UP BILLIERY

February 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. Michael in CA

Say what you want everyone, but when someone is complimenting you, you will tear up with emotion. When you are being forceful with world leaders you will not cry like a baby, kind of how Senator Obama has acted when confornted on his weak record, but I digress. Watch the video and find out for yourself. Everyone is hounding her for every mistake or word she speaks, let her revel in support.

I agree that CNN used to be unbiased, now look at them. I cannot believe they have allowed Roland Martin to write such a biased piece. Where in the essay did he acknowledge the NYT expose on Senator Obama's ties to the nuclear power plant? He is an ardent supporter of Senator Obama and his essay(s) just prove(s) how much he loves Senator Obama. Where is the love or fair and biased voice for Senator Clinton?

It all comes down to this, she can't win for trying! Take my word for it, the Republicans want the Dems. to nominate Senator Obama because he lacks the experience and they can't wait to unload with his skeletons. The Republicans claim they are scarred of Senator Obama, but they are really scared of Senator Clinton. reverse psychology my friends!

I have come to peace with whatever the outcome may be. I am proud to say I did not fall for the talk and smokes in mirrors. I chose and continue to stand with the candidate who is real, we know what we're gonna get. With Senator Obama, who preaches openness and power to the people, we are slowly but surely finding out how beholden he is to working for big business and his donors. All talk, just talk. By the way people, when you have a serious illness or needed critical care, have fun trying to get health insurance with Senator Obama's plan, you will be denied just as you are now!

HILLARY 08!!

February 4, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. Katie

I only have one thing to say to this...

YES WE CAN!!!!

Obama 2008!!!

February 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  7. ernest

Has anybody seen the video, i just watched it, she did not tear up, she just said i will not tear up, CNN please stop trying to create news . jeez, do you really hate Clinton that much

February 4, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  8. Karen, Jersey City

As Eminem said... "you only get one shot" and Hillary dear, that one shot was in NH.

February 4, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  9. darin

crying to get what you want may work when you're young, but can't fool me twice.

February 4, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  10. Susan

I am a white female who will vote for OBAMA. I am 53 years of age. Had my husband cheated on me, I would have teared up while being interviewed. She is playing it to the hilt. GO OBAMA!

February 4, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  11. tampakevin

the headline is silly. she did not tear up. the rhetoric of comments from Obama supporters is so mean spirited and yet your indicating you'll bring the country together?? So vote for Oprah .. sorry I mean for Obama but follow through with his words of unity not of hate.

February 4, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  12. NEW JERSEY FOR CLINTON

February 4, 2008 2:41 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    I watched the whole program or rally and she was not faking it. A guy stood up to praise her and the words were really moving. You know a woman can't seem to get a break these days! I am a man and I'm saying that. She didn't cry but instead she was simply moved, like any human would be. A man complimented her and if you read the transcript you will know why she was moved. Enough with the foolishness! She spent the time talking about ISSUES and not giving giving fluffy empty speeches. She took questions from people. She was not rehearsed like the other candidate is. It was a clam, personal and relaxed setting with ordinary people. Why doesn't Obama talk about issues? Why doesm't he talk about his record or experience or the lack thereof.

New Jersey for Hillary!

February 4, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  13. Newton, Chicago, IL

I have a feeling we'll be seeing the conniving louse crying the day AFTER the primary...

February 4, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  14. Troy-Boston

No need for tears, hillary- you are the NEXT PRESIDENT!
    Hillary 2008

February 4, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  15. Dr Biggy

Let her cry, what do you want her to do if Obama is making her cry! Cry Hill, scream dear......lol!

February 4, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  16. Mary Garcia

This time it won't work.

Tears will not get you elected, Hillary.

This is starting to look very PHONY, indeed.

February 4, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  17. Henry Tashjian

Well, it did work in New Hampshire. That's pretty lame, Hil.

February 4, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  18. D.

Come on, you can see clearly, CNN is bias even from the title.

February 4, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  19. deb

Sam – I am so with you. I can't believe how hard the media and members of her own party are making it for her – pretty much because they can't stand to see a woman as President. Do you Ted Kennedy can stand to have a woman as President, an old patriarch who wouldn't try to save the life of a woman when he could?

It's amazing how the media and certain people can distort the work that she has accomplished in her life, and see motives in everything action. Yes, she is a politician, but she is also human.

If she doesn't win the nomination, I am going to cry. It only affirms for me how backwards this country is in women's rights.

February 4, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  20. JEFF

I am wondering if any of you guys even watched the video? Hillary didn't even cry! This was just exaggerated.......it was just an intimate moment with a group of supporters, nothing else.

So what's the fuss about?

February 4, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  21. Travelsouth

In our society women are allowed to cry when touched, exhausted , sad or very happy. It is acceptable. Why do you deny Mrs. Clinton this right?

February 4, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  22. Frank Nguyen

Senator,

Once time is OK. But now 2nd times, I do not vote for you. How you can lead the country when enemy, Osama bin Ladden attact US what you do? Just cry, cry, and beg them ... That not attitude for President of United of America and Command in Chief???????

February 4, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  23. beckstone

Noooooooooooo. She broke out her invincible secret weapon again.

February 4, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  24. Dino

At what point do her supporters and undecideds begin to realize that HRC is the most cold, calculating politician on the face of the planet? When in doubt, show emotion? Is that supposed to appeal to women? This tactic is belittling to her supporters and the rest of this country..

February 4, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  25. Vicki

I don't recall Margaret Thatcher ever crying.

What she means by crying (whether planned or not): "Hey, damit, you need me, only I know what is best for you, I want to be in charge, and damit I deserve it, I stayed with Bill for this, I moved to New York for this, don't take this away from me!!!"

I am not at all against a woman president, I'm just against Hillary. I do not trust her motives for winning the White House

February 4, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |