February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Terri White

i do not know what country u live in?

February 4, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  2. tom

She pulled the same situation last month, the day before New Hampshire.
    People need to wake up.

February 4, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. Linda

Our first woman president should be strong and determined, not moody and manipulative.

OBAMA 2008

February 4, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  4. Ande

OH NO – Not again!!

February 4, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  5. Booker

My question is why would you deny anyone that right to get emotional? Frankly I was on the live video feed at the time she was in Connecticut. She never started crying. She just felt the emotional moment reconnecting with an old friend. Sorry but that has happened to me before! Give the woman a break. If it was a man it would have been "honorable" to be able to show emotion. If a woman does it, she is weak, trying to cry up votes, etc. Ridiculous!

February 4, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  6. Kurt Engelhart

I am very tired of all this Republican vitriolic projection. What bothers me most is that it will continue even if Clinton is elected president. They will be dancing in jubilation if she isn't, no matter who wins. This is the essence of the 'vast right wing conspiracy.' Is it any way to govern the U.S.?

February 4, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  7. steve

Bravo! I can't wait to see the encore when she loses the nomination to Obama. Now those will be some real tears!

February 4, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  8. Mohammad, LA CA

I just hope women don't fall for this, supposedly women are intelligent, like us men, right (just kidding)? The thing is, how the hell does Clinton crying before the eve of a vital election- TWICE- make you want to vote for her? To me, it makes her more calculating, rather than more inspiring and human! VOTE THIS CRAZY WITCH OUT.

February 4, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  9. RJ

I really feel she was touched, BUT with All her experience she should know that was a bad move!!!!! And should'nt even have made mention of it..... That "I Said I WASN'T going to Tear up" comment she made is where she lost me!!!!!!
    had she thought of tearing up prior to going to meeting???????hmmmm
    Hillary is not ready for such a position!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Our country needs strength now....Not tears! She just lost my vote
    OBAMA ALL THE WAY

February 4, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  10. Really

This is so interesting. CNN finally decides to give Hillary coverage and this is the best they can come up with?! HAHAHA...Hillary, we are behind you all the way. Of course this won't get posted but it's worth a try. What was said to her was truly humbling and touching.

I am an African-American 25 year old male and I approve this message.

HRC ALL THE WAY

February 4, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  11. MKH

travelsouth, if she had a history of tearing up before new hampshire then maybe we would all accept this as a part of her, but not now. this is calculated and i hope everyone understands this.

February 4, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  12. sherry

So now she has to use the "tearing up" ploy again to try and drum up votes. I'm getting a little tired of her "acting" ability. If she's acting now to get votes, what's she going to do if she's elected and wants something done...cry. Boo Hoo Hilary.......

February 4, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  13. Marilyn

this is the main reason i won't vote for Hillary. She is a cry-baby. how in the world can she run this country in tears. if there was a terrorist attack what is she going to do cry or call on Bill. We need a strong person to back us. When is she going to grow up and get stronger?

February 4, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  14. Mark, MO

I love how the conspiracy theorists are claiming it's a calculated act to get votes.

What I find funny is if how these same idiots conveniently fail to notice that it didn't happen before the South Carolina vote. That was a vote that WAS crucial to her campaign.

But no…

You can't use LOGIC around any of the "I hate Hillary" crowd. Using your head is not one of the requirements.

Again, it's people who making silly claims like this who helped give us 8 years of George W. Bush. :(

February 4, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  15. dms

This is to some of the people (women?) who are calling Hillary a phony, desparate and transparent, saying "here she goes again and this time it won't work".

Even the current person in the White House tears up now and again.

So my thoughts are that if anyone praised you for doing a terrific job at something that you worked hard to accomplish wouldn't you tear up just a bit? I think you would. If it is ok for you, why isn't it ok for someone who will be our leader to show her true feelings?

February 4, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  16. Frank

Hillary wears her patriotism on her sleeve like a badge of honor. I respect her and I'm even more convinced that we need her to win.

February 4, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  17. June Lee

3) Why Obama is merely a “Talking” candidate. Obama has draw a nice picture of the future of America. He put together a wish list. The problem is that Obama has no clue of how to implement the impossible. His policy contradicts this wish list in great ways. With limited resource of this country and budget, an inexperienced president will make the country even worse off. Obama is not ready now. But he may be ready later. American will be ready for a African American when Obama is ready not only by talking himself off but also by showing his ability. In my opinion, Obama is a regular politician that can lie as well. The more I listen to him, the more I think so. His talking of deny the fact that illegal immigrates of Latinos will take the jobs of African American people will be the perfect example of this political view. It shows he has nothing in common in philosophy with Dr. Martin Luther King’s idealism.

February 4, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  18. Ryan

I'm now voting for Obama. I'm sick of these phony Clinton's. What a crock!

February 4, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  19. skh4450IL

(wo)man up Hillary....geez

Are you going to cry everytime something major happens in the White House?

Obama '08

February 4, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  20. Sad day for the Dems

Congratulations, Sen. McCain. You will be our next president.

February 4, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  21. enomisa

This woman just can not get a break- she is either the *BBBB*** ice queen or she is faulted for being flesh and blood. We all cry. God made it so. Only sociopaths can't feel enough to cry. Give it a rest. The country needs THIS woman- not Oprah, or Caroline or Maria. Although I just love all of them to death. They are fun to watch and see and hear- but I'm voting for President, not day-time talk show host.
    I guess CNN will moderate this post just like it has dozens previous to this. So much for unbiased press and freedom of speech

February 4, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  22. Soula

Alright America, what is the deal? It seems that anything that Hillary does, it is taken apart!!! If that was Obama, I guess that would show that he was a well-rounded man. Hmmm, I think we need to stick to the issues and vote for the person who has the best solutions. We need a leader that has the experience to get our great nation through these difficult times and not a leader that is still "wet" behind the ears. It's great that Obama can have rallies and bring everyone to cheer, but that is not what will lead our country through the problems we are facing. Obama is a wonderful man but doesn't have what we need as a nation to prevail. Clinton all the way!

February 4, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  23. D. A. Saladino

I will enthusiastically support whichever candidate, Clinton or Obama, emerge the victor. However, I believe Clinton is the best hope for a new strength of America on every front.

Every time I hear Obama say Clinton voted for the war I now want to scream – GET OVER IT . It is no longer the issue and is the poorest cover for his lesser experience. So, from a distance, he said no war! From a distance, he avoided many votes. It's a mantra the GOP coined and we shouldn't give it any more weight. I believed Colin Powell's pitch and I think war is a a horrible alternative but may well have voted like Clinton.

Another mantra that gets tossed Clinton's way is her "failed health care efforts". let me tell you that the seeds of many parts of that initiative did take root. Efforts in Disease Management and Outcomes management expanded as a result of the work going on in her group. I had first hand experience with this fact. So we didn't end up with a universal financing initiative - GET OVER IT and elect her this time!

February 4, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  24. John

changing your stance on issues, crying when needing votes. What is next Hillary? She will do anything for a vote. Obama has held strong and spoke with conviction. Those same strengths will stay with him in the white house.

Do we want another person in the white house that will lie or do whatever it takes to get elected again – I hope not

OBAMA 08

February 4, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  25. Terri White

To Ana

Hillary's tearing up, you're right, is not a sign of weakness. It is a sign of deception and desperation.

February 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |