February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Jaspreet

Tired of her playing the SYMPATHY CARD! Then goes on about how much shes done for Americans expecting something in return, like we owe her! She can't even take responsibility for voting permission to go to war! Shes a lawyer, she knows what she consented to!

February 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  2. Anna

Will all of you Obamans please go read the New York Times Sunday front page page story about your guy and Exelon? You will all be crying when the Republicans get a hold of your guy this fall. What a hypocrite!

February 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  3. Lili

and will CNN report when Senator Obama has a hissy fit or cries

February 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  4. stephanie

I would rather have a president that cries than one that makes me cry.

Vote Hillary 2008

February 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  5. kathe oakland, california

Oh Please, crying again??????? And actually that is wrong – I never ever saw a tear last time just voice shakey – I guess so she was losing to OBAMA.

What, is she going to cry everytime an important vote comes up> I am a woman and she makes us all look like a bunch of weepy women, with no back bone, no toughness, no guts!!!! But is it not funny during all that scandel when old Bill was pointing his finger – I never saw her flench!!!!! Now, that was time to cry but she didn't what is up with that.
    Hillary, you must think we are all stupid – maybe the men buy this crying bit – but we women, we are not fooled.

February 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  6. Mark

This is maybe the most disgustingly calculated Clinton move ever. Toping even Slick Willy's "Greatest Hits" like "I did not have sexual relations with that woman..." and the recent low "Jesse Jackson won South Carolina... twice..." These people literally represent everything that's wrong with America that is not George W. Bush or Dick Cheney. Seriously. Why on earth would we put them back into power when we have such a GREAT alternative in Barack Obama?

VOTE OBAMA '08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  7. NCB Marin County Ca

How we Americans complain about the press and the way we have viewed the Iraq War and they only show us what they want us to see. Hmmmm, it seems as though we are getting duped once again by the press, people. Of course they want us to see the bad things about the most realistic candidate. I base my decision on facts, not endorsements, not all of the contributions last month, not the lovely words of wisdom, not the Clinton Bashing. I won't vote for a candidate because what her husband says. I will vote for the qualified, the most prepared. The one who is actually talking policy now and not about inspirational messages. (I may cry soon.) Not the one who tries to take the fun away on Super Bowl Sunday......Love Politics but please a few hours would be nice not to think about it. Who cares if she cried, if she pointed her finger you all would complain and every news station would be against that too. This is America and its obvious that we still have a long way to go if we are voting on inspirational messages and press releases and not on the ISSUES. Maybe the first thing the New President should do is pump out money to our schools that way the American people can learn to broaden their minds and realize who owns the Media. I hope this gets posted because My Vote is for Hillary.

February 4, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  8. Disgusted

So, this is what we can expect of her if she were to become President? No thanks!

February 4, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  9. Nelson, Colorado Springs Co

To do what she done and been through with the Prezzzz Bill crying is ok. But will she start crying when things get tough for america. To speak to at Yale University it's just like comming to her Mrs Clinton should be happy. Now as I think about it no big deal. women have graet emotion to every thing I know, 35 years

February 4, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  10. CAL

fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on me. There is no way this water-works episode is a coincidence. Will this finally open people's eyes?

Say and do anything.....

February 4, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  11. Ted inTucson

when this is over and the dem party is split- McCain will be in the w.h. then all you Oboma's will have to wait 4 more years-for myself and other dems I know -will not vote dem-Ill give McCain my vote

February 4, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  12. Whitburn

Shameless

February 4, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  13. Jeff

This is the second time she's done this on the eve of a big vote.

Is she too fragile for the rigors of the election?(not even the job of President)
    -or-
    Is she calculating that this will pull her back up in the polls?

I think its the latter. Its shameful that she thinks voters are so gulible that this is a genuine moment. Especially when we haven't seen one tear since the eve of the NH primary. There are a number of reasons why Obama would be a much better President.

First, he will talk to leaders of the world we don't have a good relationship with. This is very important in the Middle East in particular. If we could get support from more moderate nations in the region(including Iran) we may be able to replace our troops with a multi-national peace keeping force comprised of Iraq's neighbors. If there were more troops from Muslim neighbors, I believe Al Qaida would be less likeley to attack Muslim military personel. Not talking to other leaders with out preconditions is a Bush tactic. It appears Hillary has more in common with Bush than she'd like voters to believe.

Secondly. Hillary claims to be a fighter.(this may explain her Iraq vote) You don't have to fight if you're able to bring people togther to cooperate for a common goal. Obama will be able to reach across party lines to make true cooperation in Washington possible.

Lastly, America has such a tarnished image around the world, by electing Obama this would show the world we've tunred the page on a very bad chapter in American history. As it pertains to the Middle East, I think they hate having to deal with a white man in in Washington. How would they deal with a woman? Some of those countries probably would refuse to meet with her as, in thier view women don't belong in that role. Now, dealing with a darker complected person may signal to these countries(our allies included) that America has changed.

You can have experience, but it also has to be supported by good judgement. Hillary was wrong about Iraq. She even spoke out against the Saudi government about the punishment of the woman who was raped. Which, I don't agree with the Saudi's in punishing this woman, but we can't dictate to another country how their laws and enforcement should work. We, as Americans would be mad if Saudi's tried to tell us what to do. If she were President at the time when she said this, how would that effect our relationship with the Saudi's?(one of the more moderate influences in the region) This was yet another bad judgement on Hillary's part. How many bad decisions could she make in 4 years as persident? How much will she try to manipulate the American public in that same span of time?

HOW MUCH WILL IT COST AMERICA??

February 4, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  14. Awready Teary

I never knew tears were that powerful. Instead of working hard, perhaps I should just start crying when attacked for my laziness.

February 4, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  15. John

i like the positive comment from the gal half way up the page. Yes we can!!!
    I am a beliver. Raise up Obama Nation. Obama/Edwards 08 Yes we can!!!

February 4, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  16. paul shoultz

Behind in New Hampshire? How 'bout a tear? Then no tears through one expected loss and an expected win. No tears while way ahead in the super Tuesday states.

All of a sudden, behind in many states, the tears appear again.

Fool me once......

February 4, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  17. Adrian, NYC, NY

And once Obama takes a lead in a crucial poll, Hillary starts crying? Same happened in New Hampshire. This is getting really pathetic and phony. These cheap stunts won't win an election.

February 4, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  18. Gloria

This is a fairy tale, here she go again crying again when she is not winning, She is making women look bad because she is too weak to be president. She will be better off trying for a role in a movie the crying candidate. No wonder men is not voting for her

February 4, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  19. Anna, IL

Oh my god! I can't believe her. Is this what we're going to expect from her presidency? This is the second time in a month. So, let me get this straight. Every time she gets herself in trouble, she's going to cry? Hello? We can't have a world leader going around crying all the time. I respect everyone's right to cry. And every month, most women go through few days of emotional stress. However, we are electing a president. I don't want a president who's going to make her PMS public. Either she has no control over her emotion or she is incredibly manipulative. Either way, this is a terrible thing from a presidential candidate.

February 4, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  20. Sara

CNN STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU ARE REALLY ANGERING WOMEN....... AND ITS NOT ABOUT HER BEING EMOTIONAL. OBAMA HAS A MOVEMENT, WELL IF SHE LOOSES BECAUSE OF ALL THIS DRAM AND MEDIA HYPE ABOUT OBAMA AND NOT THE REAL ISSUES OF OUR LIVES THERE WILL BE A MOVEMENT AGAINST OBAMA AND THE MEDIA..PLEASE STOP INSULTING US

February 4, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  21. Tanya

Leave the woman alone,you picky, picky people. Is it at all possible that tearing up when she did is perfectly normal, when paid a tribute??

February 4, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  22. john williams san diego, ca.

i would rather see her cry than listen to her CACKLE..Her power seeking is slowly slipping away all because of her own lies and manipulations.

February 4, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  23. jim

Calculated act. Problem is the act won't work when she is President and dealing with terrorist wanting to attack the US.

February 4, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  24. George Welch

The race is getting tight. It's time to roll out the two heckler plants with the "Iron my Shirt" signs again. It worked in New Hampshire. Tears may not be enough this time.

February 4, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  25. Travis

This is her "thing", her gimmick – need votes, cry! I wouldn't be surprised if she cries next month or sometime soon. Why does anyone want a president who cries at the drop of a hat, to play on the old movie line – "there's no crying in the White House." I personally don't want a president who may cry at any given time, would make her look weak to other countries. This is a sad attempt to garner votes by using emotions. She can't play up the "strong first women president thing" then next day use her "womanhood" to create votes.

February 4, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |