February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Latina in NC

The Republicans will us this against her in the Fall. This is either calculated or a moment of weakness. Nevertheless, this is unfortunate for Hillary.

February 4, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  2. David

I always enjoy how people pile on the media. I am not a big fan of wall-to-wall coverage of unnecessary stories, but come on! Call politics as usual when you see them. When Hillary cries on cue – politics. When Obama starts a sentence with" What I actually said was" – politics. When John McCain becomes the single biggest backer of the Bush tax cuts – politics. When Mitt talks about the necessity to marry before having children – politics. Whether you are for or against a candidate, don't follow him or her blindly – think!

I have never been more in favor of a true three-party system than this year. We can no longer take our "leaders" at their word – we need real choice, and not the same people in a different body.

February 4, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  3. Stacy

Yes, people may sometimes get emotional when being complimented...but Hillary knows that she is under the microscope every mintue and she knows how to contain her emotions. This was undoubtedly her own little ploy to try to pull in a few votes.

I wish that there was a woman candidate that women could be proud of.

February 4, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  4. Jean

Hillary will win hands down.

February 4, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  5. Ray

Hillary is authentic. I don't understand where people get off attacking her as calculated and shrewed. She's a very smart, tallented, tested, ready individual with real emotions like you or I. I saw her speak yesterday in Minnesota and let me tell you, I was a supporter before, but now I'm inspired to vote for HER. Yes, I LIKE Obama, but we NEED Hillary to clean up after 7 horrible years of G.W.Bush.

February 4, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  6. casey

You have GOT to be kidding me. I think this proves the first one was staged as well.

February 4, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  7. bill

Any Hillary supporter, please tell me, why do you support her?

February 4, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  8. jen-in-ca

No it not phony. She is tired and with close friends. I'd like to see these Hillary Haters take on what she has, they wouldn't be able to handle it.
    Talk about who is phony. Obama is a hypocrite and it will all come out in the general. The republicans can't wait to get a hold of fresh meat. All those who put their blind faith in a slick talking, speech copying, so called inspirational person is going to be crying in november when McCain becomes president. I will be voting for McCain before i would ever vote for Obama.

February 4, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  9. Andy

She's obviously crying out of her intense love for the United States of America. She is a true patriot and those tears should be collected and stored in the national archives to inspire Americans for generations to come. In fact, they should be drizzled over the battlefields of Iraq as source of unity and pride, finally undoing the wrongs of the Bush administration and healing that tattered nation. The tears should be distributed to every American, and will bring comfort to the poor and charity to the rich. The tears also have a plan for a national health care system. God bless you, Hillary Clinton, and your tears of sweet emotion.

February 4, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  10. Jack Robertson

Hillary's tears are 100 per cent pure crocodile! I hope that Democratic voters won't fall for this drama queen's performance a second time. It's time to haul her off the stage! Good luck to Obama on Super Tuesday! He is the first breath of fresh air on the U.S. political scene in eons.

February 4, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  11. Maury G

I am sick and tired of the media trying to tell me who the nominee of my party should be. I'm home from work on my day off and all I see on CNN and MSNBC is All Obama, All the Time. Really, the media has become so obvious its shameful. Spinning this event this way is sickening. Watch the video people.

February 4, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  12. junebug

Oh, and the New Hampshire tears??? Did you listen to her WORDS? She spoke of love for her country and how she could see the bad things that were happening and she wanted to reverse them.

I wish there was one person who could tell me WHY they hate this woman. She has done nothing to make anyone hate her . . . the MEDIA has told you that you should hate her and some of you folks have been suckered into it. Be aware that most of our media is owned by conservative-owned corporations. When Frank Luntz (Republican pollster and wordsmith) says that he doesn't know how to "beat Obama," that tells me that he DOES know how to beat Obama. Be afraid, folks.

February 4, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  13. Judd

Good grief...here she goes again. I like her...but get real...

February 4, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  14. Rena

CNN did this story because they knew it would do nothing but draw up negative attention.

When are yall going to do the real stories about Obama, once he has the nomination? Is that your goal, turn people off to Clinton so Obama can get the nomination and then turn people off to Obama so people will vote in the opposite direction.

The sad part is that most people, atleast people who post cant see through it.....

I hope more voters and delagates can see through all of this Obama hype! Because that is ALL it is........................hype!!!

I hope Hillary kicks his butt from here to Illinois!!!!!!!!!!

GO HILLARY!!

February 4, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  15. joywinnebago

Why is this news??????

Seriously....I tear up every single time I go to my alma mater. And if a former professor began to cry because he/she was proud of me, you bet I would.

The insinuation that she's playing for emotion is infuriating. If she doesn't show emotion, she's called calculating; if she does, she's called calculating.

Bush, Romney, Rumsfeld....they get to cry and it is what it is.

Wake up, people! This is sexism!!!!! Ugh!!!!!!!!!! Stop it!!!!

I guess reporters should never cry covering a story either....

Ridiculous....

February 4, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  16. SuJay

This in UNREAL!!! Just let things heat up (ie Obama rising) and she goes teary. We're on to you now Hills. New Hampshire fell for the fake emotional moment, but IT WON'T WORK THIS TIME! Go Barack!

February 4, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  17. Matt

I like CNN, but there negative bias against Hillary is shameful.

February 4, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  18. JJ in NY

OH PLEASE ! Crocodile tears again ? More like CROCK-odile tears .

February 4, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  19. Anonymous

Since when did tears become a political candidate? Politicians are–believe or not–humans, humans are emotional. She teared up, big deal. She did not have a breakdown or an outburst. At most, her eyes were a little red and slightly misty. You criticize her for being cold and callous and then you criticize her for being emotional. I think she has displayed considerable and appropriate self control. If the fact that she has "teared up" twice during her entire 35-year career is what you hold against her, then I must ask what are the important issues in your opinion? People get so caught up in personal attacks that the real issues are ignored. Frankly, I would not care if the next president cries everyday as long as he or she gets the job done. We need a strong leader and strong leaders show emotion. There is nothing wrong with having a woman for president–we would actually be on par with the rest of the world for once. It's fine if you don't like her politics, but holding her misty eyes against her is absurd.

February 4, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  20. Electress

Go Hillary, that's the person we want to MOVE this Country in a better Direction.
    Watch her townhall meeting on Hallmark channel tonight. Everyone will see
    her again, articulate the issues, and what her stand is on them.

You can trust the woman!

February 4, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  21. Mikka

*sigh* While I want to believe it's genuine emotion, and it may be, it does seem a BIT calculated considering the LAST time she got teary eyed because someone "cared about her" on the trail was before NH. So it's a bit hard to not think something is up. I've never seen Hillary be this emotional in all of her years of "experience" in the White House or the Senate. Maybe it's stress, and if this "nice" campaign is stressing her out to this point, I hate to see what will happen in a general election.

February 4, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  22. AE

hmmm funny how it happens right before an election. perhaps she's trying to reach all the new voters who didn't see her tearing up the first time.

February 4, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  23. Mani, NJ

Are you people serious??!! The woman had a reunion with one of her mentors from law school. It was a nostalgic and touching moment for her and it had nothing to do with the election. It was like seeing an old friend again and being somewhere that your entire stemmed from. Hillary epitomizes change and will work hard everyday for us to make positive change happen. Of course the media is going to sensationalize this story so my fellow Americans, please do not get bamboozled by the media and VOTE FOR HILLARY!!!!!

February 4, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  24. Ryan M.

When the going gets tough... Hillary starts crying....

Not Fit to Lead!

February 4, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  25. brian

You all make me sick.

Did any of you go read this story at any other outlet besids CNN. Well check out other places to look it up. She apparently has a cold and had coughing fits all day. Tell me people what happens when you start coughing...your eyes water. That is when this picture was taken, shortly after on of those, and what comes out she's crying again. Oh brother as if CNN and all the others are objective.
    All of you Grow UP!