February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Raf

From day one in office she will cry lol. This women is an insult for all women.

February 4, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  2. Marilyn

Hmm, this makes me wonder if the pressure is too much for Hillary. She's vying for the leadership role of the strongest country on the planet, and she tears up. Hillary has committed to this a long battle. Is she going to 'tear up' every time?

I don't need a President who tears up at the drop of a hat nor do I want a President who uses sympathy as strategical tool. Hillary is not the right WOMAN for this job.

February 4, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  3. wordslinger, chicago

Reagan used to tear up from time to time. You can take that a couple of ways and apply the same to Hilary. Either he was a manipulative actor who could turn on the waterworks for political advantage of he was a strong leader who occasionally showed emotion in public.

February 4, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. Please

February 4, 2008 3:27 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    This is so interesting. CNN finally decides to give Hillary coverage and this is the best they can come up with?! HAHAHA…Hillary, we are behind you all the way. Of course this won't get posted but it's worth a try. What was said to her was truly humbling and touching.

I am an African-American 25 year old male and I approve this message.

HRC ALL THE WAY

February 4, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  5. Sérgio, Porto, Portugal

Oh, my god....If there was any doubt that the tears in NH were premeditated.....they were vanished.

I would like to ask people here one question: if one of your candidates (McCain, Obama, Romney...whoever) cried during the election process, what would you feel about them? That would bomb their chances in the election process.

Now, I am all for gender equality, but if a woman cries, how come everyone is defending especially if this is the second time in a very convenient moment.

Emotions are fine, emotions are great. Scheduling them isn't.

February 4, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  6. anonymous

Here Goes Your President, America! Weeping Hillie!!! How Ridiculous!!

February 4, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  7. Donnie Foxx

This is ridiculous. She is attempting to win an election by crying. Does she think crying will solve all the worlds problems? Instead of crying she need to stop spouting off all this rhetoric which is much to do about nothing and tell the American people what’s really going to happen if she gets in the White House.
    It looks more like her husband is running again instead of her. As a life long Democrat I have had enough of the old Guard. Her crying only magnifies why she should not be in Office. Crying never solves anything except sway female voters to her plight.
    Whats next, Will we see her crying at a G8 summit or because Iran won't cooporate with her save the world plan?

February 4, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  8. Manny

Win or lose, Hillary will always be a champion to us, Asian-Americans. She gets it! We get it!

February 4, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  9. ABL

DEAR SUPER TUESDAY VOTERS – Those of you who want a democrat in the White House come next January should look only as far as the torrent of negative reaction on this board to Hillary Clinton's latest emotional outburst. The fact of the matter is that she is perceived as being calculating and phony and that perception – which she will never be able to shake – will hurt her dearly in a general election where she is up against John McCain.

There may be many accusations leveled at Obama, but being a phony is certainly not one them. Think strategically, vote for Obama.

February 4, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  10. JB T F ID

CRYING... YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING.....WE DON'T NEED THIS WEAK PERSON RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT....WHERE'S ROSS PEROIT WHEN YOU NEED HIM.

February 4, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  11. kim portland, oregon

this could be a woman thing too, that many men wont ever get. i'm a strong, intelligent professional woman, but get me talking about kids-especially mine and my friends'-and i can get pretty emotional too. and i believe the first tears were at a meeting with all women, correct? our country is in a shambles, and i worry about what the future holds for my 2 kids.

i'm just asking cuz i'm curious what people think: is a presidential candidate showing some emotion such a bad thing? it's not like she's gonna break down in tears while in negotiations with some foreign power.

although if given the choice-and i hope i am-–GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  12. Tasha

J Miller –

Is EVERYTHING about race with you? Obama is half-white you know, I doubt he is not concerned about white American, including his white relatives in Kansas. For the past several years white people have been referring to anyone who brings up race unecessarily as racists. I guess this means that all of the white people who take non-racial quotes from Obama and turn them into racial slurs are racists too, right?

What an idiot.

February 4, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  13. peter

this is ridiculous. and i wonder why the media or other campaigns haven't emphasized that this was work while she was a student (while good work, don't get me wrong), BUT that she spent 15 years as a CORPORATE attorney. that is not public interest law.

February 4, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  14. MWD

I guess the first thing you all need to learn is that there is a difference between a misty eye and crying. Why doesn't anybody talk about Obama's arrogant attitute. Because the media is in bed with him and has pushed him down everybody's throat. By the way, what did he do during his 3 years in the Senate? Everything the Clinton's do or say has been taken out of context. I hope the American people has more common sense. Great idea the national town hall meeting. At least she is willing to answer questions and not hide behind the "we need change" blah blah blah. By the way is he is so against old Washington politics but gladly accepts the help (at what price ????) of old Washington politicians.

February 4, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  15. not gullible

how can people believe anything from Hillary. Through Bill's campaings and 8 yrs in the White House, through her Senate campaign, and senate career, no crying. Then all of a sudden, running for president, polls say she appears to tough and needs to highlight her femine side. Then she starts crying in public, miraculously only on the eve of an important vote. don't be so gullible. If she cries to get what she wants does she really need to be running our country?

February 4, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  16. LINDA NEW YORK

YOU GO HILLARY! YOU ARE THE BEST WE HAVE TO RUN THIS COUNTRY!

WE LOVE YOU HILLARY! HILLARY 2008

February 4, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  17. Matt

I'm more interested in hearing a candidate discuss what they would they if they were elected. However, I am NOT interested in hearing a motivational speaker or someone flaunting their big name endorsements.
    Hillary wins this one.

February 4, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  18. ObamaSUPPORTER

How pathetic, man! It called "Desperation."

February 4, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  19. Edward

I think she shows shes looks human then a lot of the lame people here. If any of you who say bad things could say you have never teared up when seeing some one from your past who was important to you your colder than anyone or just a big liar. I have met people from my past and teared up ( and I'm a Male) especially if they are tearing up too. These so called Obama people who are saying these rude things because some one is being human actually says a lot about what kind of people Obama draws to him. COLD HEARTLESS ignorant people this is why obama should not win. Divided we stand ,Obama and these cold supporters we fall. "Obama brings a lot of unifying" I don't see it or read on these boards. Obama people are cruel and loud mouthed like him. If Obama where to win and I "DOUBT IT" I will most definately vote Republician in November and a lot of people I know say the same thing . No Obama you can't !!!!! Yes we can–no you can't. Hillary 2008 and beyond...

February 4, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  20. JT

Is Hillary really fit to run this country?

Either she is trying to get more votes for super Tuesday ( like the other primary ) or she is way to emotional to handle the stress of running this nation. I want someone who is not going to break down in tears when something comes up that is stressful or emotional. We need someone who is going to be able to cope with the issues not cry about them!

February 4, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  21. urright

Barack Obama's key words – "It's our time" – "change" – "hope"

I do want change. I already have Hope – I didn't need you to come along and tell me that. I don't want a rockstar.

I want solutions and a proven – competent leader.

Hillary 08'.

CNN I know this is pro-Clinton, anti-Obama and this is nice of you to put this story up a day before the Primaries in a sick attempt – given that you have posted 44 Pro Obama Articles in the last 2 weeks and 4 Pro-Clinton Articles – but I hope this does get posted.

February 4, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  22. pbj

Hey, Hillary - Save it for when you're toe-to-toe and eyeball-to-eyeball with a nuclear Iran or with a China that just crossed the Straits of Taiwan - that'll get to those big ol' meanies!! THEN they'll back down!!

February 4, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  23. Lisa Gross

I don't buy her tears! If Hillary is our next president I will do what I do when I see Bush on the television, just turn it off!!

February 4, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  24. Sheri

I just love how CNN is keeping this as the top story in the blog and filling in stories below it. Give me a break.

February 4, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  25. jones

its crazy how convenient her tears are!!!! i think women should be offended by her crying because if any woman cried at her job while giving a presentation...what would be people think of her in the office?!?!? this is no different!!!!

February 4, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |