February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Chris

I find it amazing how she can cry on demand like that. Hillary Clinton is a tough woman. Make no mistake about it. The only time she ever cries is when she wants something. Like Delegates.

We should all get together and have a pool about the when the next time she cries will be... I hear there are a big chunk of delegates up for grabs in the first week of March too? I'll bet she cries publically in the range of March 1st – 4th. Any takers?

February 4, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  2. Patricia McDonald

So she gets emotional when an old friend gets emotional with their feelings for Hillary and her work. What is the problem? Is everything a calculated move? I get so sick of the cynicism.

February 4, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  3. OBAMA 2008

Hillary save your tears, you will not fool California with your tears. OBAMAAAAA all the way.

February 4, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  4. Jennifer

I can't imagine her in the oval office making tough decisions. Can you all imagine her the actual president? Let's say a war broke out. She would have to decide on whether or not we would have to bomb a crucial facility that is located near small children and women. If she is crying now about basically nothing – what is she going to do in a case like this, have a complete nervous breakdown?

February 4, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  5. Allison

Holy crap! Not again. She is shameless. Anything to win! I just hope people see through it this time. God help us if the Super-Tues. states go the way of NH.

Obama 08!

February 4, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  6. Paul

I see it's "Pick on Hillary" time once again. The media bosses and pundits have obviously made up their minds that they want to see Obama and McCain nominated. I suppose they think it will provide the most entertainment value. Now they are scrutinizing a bit of emotion on Hillary's part, jumping to the conclusion that it's an act. What do they want? On one hand, she is criticized for being a "cold fish" who calculates every move and has no genuine feelings. When she does show some emotion, they immediately pounce on her for acting.

Meanwhile, Obama can do no wrong. I am very off-put by this man's arrogance. I was very offended when he commented that if he's nominated, Hillary's supporters will support him. But if she is nominated, he can't guarantee that his supporters will back her. How dare he presume to have our support. I know many Hillary supporters who have commented that they may well support the moderate McCain (even if he is in denial) should Obama be nominated. Many people here in Florida are already very angry with the DNC for stripping us of our delegates and seemingly writing off our state to the GOP.

I expect that very soon thinking democrats will see through Sen. Obama's shallow charisma and realize that there's not much behind the pretty face. Momentum will return to Hillary and we'll see a historic victory for the first female president in the fall. If not, I amy be looking into what the GOP has to offer.

February 4, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  7. Fran

So all of you Hillary supporters that called Obama a cry baby, well what about Hillary's tears for a second time again on the eve of a primary election? I haven't seen Obama shed not one tear buy your girl cries when she knows she is about to lose to get sympathy votes. What a joke. She really makes it hard for women to achieve any high position if all she is going to do is cry every time things are not going her way. People wake up. The Clinton's had eight (8) years in the White House. It's time for a change.

February 4, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  8. LULU

I think Hillary is strong . And she has to be strong enough the take on every new station, every republican and so called democrate too. I do not think any male could take the punishment the she has had to take. I know women are the strong sex but I do think this is sickening the attacks that Hillary has had to put up with from every angle. What ever she does it is not enought or if she defends herself then thats to much. People can you not make up your own mind about anything ; I guess the media does it for you ??She has the facts and the answers but the media does not want to hear it . Well they do not speak for me and you all should wake up and not let the media and other spoon feed you there ideas. We do still have some rights left that that President has not take away yet!!!!! VOTE HILLARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LULU

February 4, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  9. Rhonda

GO HILLARY!!! You heartless goones, that is what you will get with an empty vessel like Obama. I want a President who Cares, and HILLARY truly cares, she isn't just a bunch of big talk.

Hillary!!!

February 4, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  10. lauren

you guys all need to CHILL. I'm not a huge Hillary fan, but geez, she's probably exhausted and running on no sleep and involved in the most pivotal time period of her life. You really shouldn't blame her for having emotions once in a while.

February 4, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  11. MaryLou

Women cry...big deal, it does NOT mean that we are weak. It means that we have different physiology than men. It is bad enough that we get crap from men, but when I see women that don't seem to understand, well I find that upsetting. Crying is just another form of expression and it shouldn't be used to rule a woman out of a job that she is perfectly qualified for. Pettiness has no place in this election.....

February 4, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  12. NickNasc

Can ANY Hillary supporter chime in and explain to the rest of us how this is a GOOD thing? I am TRYING to be open minded.

February 4, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  13. Clarke

J miller he is saying is time for the Dem to run the white house you idiot.

February 4, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  14. Jane Jones

LORD HEIP US ALL. SHE IS AT IT AGAIN. I SURE HOPE THE NEWS MEDIA DOES NOT FALL FOR THIS AGAIN AND HAVE HER APPEARING ON EVERY MORNING TELEVISION AND RADIO PROGRAM GIVING HER A LOT OF FREE COUERAGE THE MORNING BEFORE THE VOTE LIKE THEY DID IN NEWHAMPSHIRE.WHATE A CHEAP TRICK.,. THIS IS DISGUSTING

February 4, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  15. AtlantaVoter

First of all, if you play the clip she is not crying. She gave a heartfelt thank you back to a beautiful heartfelt intoduction. And then she spoke from the heart and from the cuff. No big speech, no sing-song preachiness.

I think the problem is the people who have been hypnotized by Obamas neuro linguistic programming don't recognize when someone is talking!

Hillary Clinton 2008

February 4, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  16. sylvie

Hillary 08

February 4, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  17. BOB

SURVEY USA POLL OUT TODAY

CALIFORNIA...

HILLARY LEADS BY 12 POINTS

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  18. Mark, Niagara Falls, NY

J Miller, your racial ignorance knows no bounds...does it not occur to you that when Obama says "its our time" he is referring to all Americans yearning for change?

February 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  19. sam

Leave her alone. I think she is doing a fine job. She is going to win the Election. I saw it in a vision. Mark my word. She has outstanding leadship. President Hillary Clinton voted on the war in Araq, because she trusted our government, just like many of us did when we put him in power. Its is nothing to be ashamed of. What is spiteful and shameful how people are being vindictive toward her for staying with her husband, even thought he cheated on her. President Clinton was a good president who rule our country well. Don't forget that. His past his god will judfe, just like he will judge us all for the sins that we have done. Let him who have no sin cast the first stone. Obama did not vote for iraq war, because he was not there in the senate at that time. Obama have not voted for 1/3 of the years. Now think about that. I love obama and Hillary .But do I vote for someone because they can preach change, or do I vote for someone who can get the job done. It is amazing how some many people are full of hate. Think what's good for the country. People favor Bush and see what a mess this country is in. Let Not Favor because one sound good. But Let us listen not with what sound good, but what will do the job. Go Hillary 08

February 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  20. Kate

I find it incredible that a woman who seemingly tries to present herself as smart, independent, capable politician – one who should be respected in the traditional 'boys club' reverts to such stereotypical tactics. For all that she's done for equal rights, these two emotional displays have negated it all. As a woman, as a Democrat, I'm disgusted.

Does she try to cry her way out of traffic tickets as well?

February 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  21. Hillary '08 and '12

We love you!

February 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  22. Bob Williams

Crying!, Crying... theres no crying in Politics

This is just another Clinton trick, it might of worked in New Hampshire, but can she pull that crap everytime she is in a close race?

February 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  23. Mary

A good friend of mine compared the election to the movie Cloverfield and said that is what happens when you elect Hillary as your Senator. I begin to think about what will she do if the President of Iran or North Korea or Russia hurts her feelings? Does she really think they are going to back down because she crys at the drop of a hat? Can you imagine what would happen if that cry baby gets elected President? Tell her to take three Mydol, eat a bar of chocolate and get over herself.

February 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  24. Novella

I love the fact she shows emotion, it means she is a real person with a heart!. All Obama can say is " Its our time" which i take as a all black theme and for that I am offended. He should be saying Its Americas time. Does he have an agenda? AS you can see I along with all the other clinton supports agree with J Miller

February 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  25. dajack

@Matthew:

From my previous post I think it's clear that I'm not on the "attack Clinton" bandwagon. But regarding your comment:

"Almost ALL of the negative comments about her tearing up are coming from the MALE gender. I think women need to UNITE around their candidate!

Sexism is ALIVE and well!"

... come on now. On what basis did you reach that conclusion? Most of the posts here are from people with indecipherable names like "Young Liberal" or "undecided ohioan" – or gender-neutral names like "D.A. Saladino".

Of the posters who clearly indicate their gender, either in their names or in the content of their messages, you're correct in that most of the anti-Hillary posts are from men.

But you know what? Most of the pro-Hillary posts are from men too.

And yup, I did count 'em. :-)

Could it be that you, like so many other people, are just projecting?

February 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |