February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. E. C., Houston, Texas

Don't Believe It! Would Hillary CRY each time she doesn't get her way? Guess this is really a Man's Job!

February 4, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  2. C.T.P

Oop! I did it again. I can't believe she that kind of woman. how will she become a commander in chief if she always cry like that. I would never pick some body to be a leader whose always show tears...and emotional like that..

February 4, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  3. Neal

Does she cry everyday when she looks at Bill and remembers all of the affairs he’s had? Or do you not consider that being an emotional moment? The fact that while sitting on the Board of Directors of Wal-mart she didn’t bother to fight for those employee’s right to health care? Or that the fact of her vote on the Iraq war caused thousands of deaths and critically wounded men and woman. I don’t see her getting emotional when talking about the war. Spin it any way you want, the fact is she is a liar and will stoop to any level to get the one thing she cares about the most and that is power. So if you think reliving your childhood are more of an emotional moment then our men and woman dying everyday then you are no different then those who continue to defend her theatrics.

February 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  4. Sue

GIVE ME A BREAK. Why is it weak or disingenuous when a woman cries? I have seen other in men political office, to include Bush, get teary and no one implies that they are weak or lacking sincerity when they show emotion. This is pathetic.
    First, it was her "cackling" laugh followed by "she is too cold" and now your going after her teary moments. What's next?

February 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  5. Novella

lI ove the fact she shows emotion, it means she is a real person with a heart!. All Obama can say is " Its our time" which iI take as a all black theme and for that I am offended. He should be saying "It's America's time." Does he have an agenda?
    Go Hillary....all the way to the White House where your real work will begin. This is what you were born for.

February 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  6. To "Paul"

Well Said.

I feel the same way.

When she shows emotion – she is being calculative. If she doesn't, well she's seen as a "female dog". Give the candidate a break. I am tired of the Hillary Bash-Fest.

I do not bash Barack. I simply vote for the best candidate. This "Hate on Hillary Nonsense" and the fact that the "best political team on television" continues to blindly support Senator Obama is disgusting.

February 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  7. Joe

People that are calling this fake...you disgust me.

February 4, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. Jane

Oh boy. I said I wasn't going to tear up... so she knew she was going to tear up???

This is just sad that it happens ONCE AGAIN a day before an important election day... and when she knows she's no longer leading. I don't think we will be fooled again. I wish I could take my NH vote back. For all of those of you out there voting tomorrow, please don't make my mistake.

I'm just tired of being played for a fool. The rally in LA yesterday with Oprah, Caroline Kennedy, Michelle Obama and CA's First Lady Maria Shriver, shown on C-SPAN was awesome. Yes I'm a FREE woman and yes I can change my mind! I will NOT vote for Hillary the next time I get the chance. She had my sympathy but this is just not right... trying to get the sympathy votes again.

I've come to the conclusion that the Clintons will do anything to try to get elected. I don't think Americans will be fooled again.

Get your voice heard and vote tomorrow! Go Obama!

Thanks CNN for letting me post my comment. Jane.

February 4, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  9. Kat, Huntington, West Virginia

I hope every president is still able to be touched, overwhelmed by certain situations. I am sure they all have and fortunately Hillary is secure enough to let her true self show through. She is strong, determined, brave, patriotic and yes, even emotional at times. But aren't we all? Thanks God she is all of those things. California and other Super Tuesday voters please get out and vote for Hillary-the only real choice for this country.
    Hillary 08

February 4, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  10. IloveObama!

Go Obama!

February 4, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  11. Hillary

Go Hillary! I support you and know you will make a wonderful President!

February 4, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  12. SC Tyler

I understand Hillary. Obama supporters don't understand anything about emotions.

Hillary Rodham Clinton 2008

February 4, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  13. Steve

Someone please make the Clinton sideshow end. Between Bill doing Hillary's dirty work and other woman in the oval office to Hillary crying, I can't take 4 more years of this.

February 4, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  14. TB

And the Oscar for best actress in a daytime drama goes to...Hillary Clinton!!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  15. Peggie

Have we fallen so far from grace? Have we allowed the news pups and networks to incite us to throws stones? Have they succeeded in dividing the democrats for ratings?

Golda Meir, fourth prime minister of the State of Israel, and the lady of iron, shed many tears. So did President Mary Robinson of Ireland and President Mary McAleese of Ireland along with Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto. I could list so many more as well as many men leaders. Would you make fun of our soldiers holding a dead or dying soldier on the battlefield? Are they weak to shed a tear as the blood of our soldiers stains the ground of Irag?

Don't tell me those of you who remember that day in November 22, 1963, or June 5, 1968, or April 4, 1968? The days John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King lost their lives. Did we not shed many tears, women and men alike?

You criticize an honest emotion? You'd be better to examine you own respond to a show of emotion.

Never acquaint the ability to shed a tear or have your eyes well up with emotion with being weak. The above women I've mentioned would have looked at you with disgust.

What is in your heart that a simple tear and show of emotion threatens you? It takes a whole lot of love and courage to openly shed a tear and to show emotion. Hillary Clinton has stood and fought for years to serve this country and for the privilege to help lead this country.

Vote for who you need to, but don't show disrespect.

February 4, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  16. Casey

CNN donated 1.6 million to the Bush campaign. Any wonder why they print their "Fair and Balanced" coverage by the "best political team" in the slant they do?

February 4, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  17. Melanie

Isn't this a bit weird that she tears up again? I mean once is alright, but twice : I am starting to get suspicions. For Pete's sakes, Mrs Clinton have a bit of dignity and keep your tears to yourself.

February 4, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  18. marina

I am so appalled by the reaction of « democrats » and « women » over Clinton’s tears. Are you people made of steel? She was back in her college, brought back memories, it was emotional and yes, these are emotional days for her – her whole life is on the ballot! Wouldn’t you tear under these circumstances?

Please, show us that you also have brains in additional to a snake tongue…..I am a European living temporarily in the US and I am witnessing the worst brainwashing phenomenon ever by media AND the establishment over the Obama thing……

Shame on CNN and the other media reporting this as first news!

February 4, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  19. disheartening

Simply disheartening that CNN has chosen to portray every thing that Senator Clinton does in a negative way. Try to remain unbiased CNN – thank you.

Jose

February 4, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  20. Karen_in_STL

Hilary completely controlled herself - no weaping, no crying, no tears . . . just a little teary-eyed . . . the man gave her a touching introduction. Give her a break people.

It is a sad reality that people are looking at this as a bad thing. If she is too soft, that is looked as bad . . if she is too tough, she is a b_tch. She is the most experienced and the right person for the Presidency.

February 4, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  21. Selby Hope

Obama will make a super president for the millennium and to the world a new face and change.

S.Hope
    CAN

February 4, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  22. EL

Obama brings people to tears, Hilary just cries

February 4, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  23. jeremy

when the poll numbers go down the tear factory cranks 'em out.

look past this act people.

OBAMA!

February 4, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  24. j

she's human, that's a great quality to have. I support her and I am glad she has emotions, it shows her strength...get over it ...all women should be concerned over the extreme scrutiny over this...is this gender bashing?

February 4, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  25. Terri

Why do y'all bash her at every turn - she is just as human as you, and when being introduced by an old FRIEND with such kind words, who wouldn't well up? Give the woman a break - if you want to bash someone, bash Bush, Cheney, Gonzales, Rumsfeld - there are too many to mention.

I don't know who I will vote for yet - I'm not a Clinton/Obama diehard, but enough already.

February 4, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |