February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Jay

News Flash folks... After Hillary wins big on Super Tusday, It will be Obama crying those real tears...
    Hillary had an emotional moment...BFD.. CNN is so biased putting up this non-story.
    At best ,, it will just bring Hillary more votes..
    Hillary 08

February 4, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  2. Mike M.

Hillary listens, then she sheds a tear...

After that it's all business, she rolls up her sleeves and actually does something, not just talk, but real work...

February 4, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  3. sudh

February 4, 2008 4:48 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Clinton. do anything, say anything to win….OBAMA again 100% correct in his judgement..

Just Immagine a man is always right in his judgement as president sd

February 4, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  4. Kris

CNN is unbelievably biased against Hillary – unbelievable.

Obama supporters need to realize you need to vote on actions, not nice pre-written words that only speak in generalities.

Okay CNN, put me in moderation pergatory.

February 4, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  5. Sue

CNN – You posted this because you knew it would get a negative response. Your bias toward Obama is shameful. Why don't you really cover the issues instead of trying to get Obama the nomination.

February 4, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  6. CAROLE

THESE TEARS FROM A WOMAN WHO FOR .............35 YEARS HAS BEEN VETTED, TESTED.. STOOD UP TO REPUBLICANS AND STILL STANDING HERE ! PLEASE HILLARY ... ENOUGH ... WHO ARE YOU REALLY ?

February 4, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  7. Bendskin

I have had enough of Hillary's dirty tricks.
    i could not believe that she would that again.
    This last minute, she just lost my vote.

February 4, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  8. Matt Scott

Yeah well i think i will go vomit now.

February 4, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  9. Carmen Cameron

I had my suspicions about the New Hampshire "emotional" moment. Now I'm certain I was right. How many times can she pull this stunt and get away with it? Answer: however many times the media thinks it's news "worthy" and the overly-emotional react to it.

I'm sorry. I'm a woman, too. And I know the obvious strain she's under. But JEEZ! Does she actually TRY to come off as calculating? If not, her timing just really STINKS!

February 4, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  10. GO HILLARY

I have read a lot of these comments? HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY WATCHED THE VIDEO? or did you just read the completely biased headline?

the tears are not fake – and it's super annoying that barack obama referencing himself to jfk is not a bigger story?

HE'S WON TWO STATES and has never been more full of himself.

VOTE FOR HILLARY – a real woman with real feelings who WILL make a REAL difference...not just hope for one.

February 4, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  11. sudh

Clintons. do anything, say anything to win….OBAMA again 100% correct in his judgement..

Just Immagine a man is always right in his judgement as president sd

February 4, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  12. eric

The Obama ppl really make me sick. attacking a honorable candidate daily on the web!

I will definitely vote for republican even mccain if obama is elected.

February 4, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  13. LIZ

I am so tired of hearing nothing but bad publicity about Hillary. This channel shows no support and is very bias. It is just another example of how corrupt this country is.....even right down to the media. I saw the republican debate and it was so not right on how they neglected the other candidates to the right of McCain and Romney. It should not be allowed!!!!

It makes me so upset and questioning the media on anything when channel and websites like this should be nothign but complete honesty tohelp working americans to stay on top of what is going on in the world.

Sadly I don't think it exist!!!

I am so voting for hillary adn glad she is running for president!! We need someone to fix this country!!!

February 4, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  14. Paul, CA

shame on CNN

CNN just try to pro obama.

if he won. i won't vote any democratic.

February 4, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  15. KAY (MD)

WHY DOESN’T SHE GET EMOTIONAL WHEN IT COMES TO TALKING ABOUT THE MEN AND WOMAN WHO HAVE DIED BECAUSE OF HER NOT BOTHERING TO READ THE REPORT AND VOTE TO SEND OUR TROOPS INTO IRAQ?
    I GUESS REMEMBERING HER COLLEGE DAYS IS MORE OF A REASON TO GET EMOTIONAL.

February 4, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  16. Dave

Stop with the BS already. A lot of people with any walking around sense now that when Bill Cliton was president those were the best 8-years we had. Everybody was making money. Unemployement was down. All the republicans did was spend millions in tax payers hard earn money trying to get dirt on him. Wake up ...

February 4, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  17. OBAMA4EVER

OMG...............getting teary again!

I wonder if she will cry when she becomes the commander-in-chief

Our troops will laugh at her

February 4, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  18. Susan

Those that begrudge Clinton an emotional moment are the ones that voted for Bush when he cut and ran the day we were attacked on 9/11. He didn't even care that his wife was in harms way at the white house. Some leader! We didn't hear from him for at least a day and then he used a photo opportunity to cry with NYC when he needed votes. You losers (or loosers as the idiots that can't spell) are pathetic to use this as an excuse to vote or not vote for a candidate. Clinton doesn't need your vote anyway!

February 4, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  19. The Real Deal

OUR President CANNOT be a World Leader who CRIES folks. PERIOD. On top of that right or wrong much of the World would have a hard time respecting a Women.

If we were to elect a Women we need her to be strong ALL THE TIME!. Cry in Bills arms at night out of public site if she wants. But THIS IS DISCRACEFULL!

It is demeaning to females and females should back lash against Hillary and see to it that Females DONOT put a weak Female to represent the US. in the World. Females, ask yourself what will Hillary do (forbidding) if Bill were not around.

February 4, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  20. KB

There are definitely starting to be some "sexist" undertones appearing in the democratic race. And it isn't all in the media (Though they aren't helping). In their last debate I certainly got some impressions from Obama that were intentional strikes at Clinton's sex. What was with him pulling out her chair for her at the end? Would he have done that for Edwards...No. It sure seemed calculated to me. Ya, she is a woman...So. Just wait until the "race" card really gets played in the media against Obama. It is only a matter of time. Then it will get interesting.

February 4, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  21. inspecdec1

Jack Nicholson endorsed Hillary. If the Joker knows Hillary is no joke, then she's good enough for me! The debates should let the people decide, not CNN's biased articles.

February 4, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  22. Terri White

I would not say that the voters hate Mrs. Sick Willy. We know dislike her bacause she is a liar, deceiver, and an outright manipulator.

Obama in 08!

February 4, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  23. Phil

Well, I guess I can finally move from the undecided camp. I gave her the entire benefit of the doubt on the prior tears. But, the timing of this new set of tears seems just too suspect. Hillary, you fooled me on the eve of NH. Shame on you for using tears to manipulate us on the eve of Super Tuesday. My vote is going to Obama.

February 4, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  24. CHERYL

GOOD FOR YOU HILLARY! I HAVE EVERY CONFIDENCE IN YOU! I AM GLAD TO SEE THAT YOU ARE LEADING IN THE POLLS! PEOPLE ARE NOT THAT EASILY FOOLED! THEY KNOW AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU ARE THE PERFECT CANDIDATE! WITH ALL THE GREAT KNOWLEDGE OF HOW THINGS WORK AND HOW TO GET THEM DONE! YOUR YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WILL SERVE YOU WELL! I YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FLORIDA FOR HILLARY CLINTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  25. Yasuko Kitago

Medias can manipulate elections by focusing on unimportant details and repeating it again and again just before super Tuesday. Most of people are so easily brain washed by mood. To many people, it is not easy to establish their own opinions.

February 4, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |