February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Independent

Clinton confuses me. She is stong, powerful, independent, vetted and tried, right? Why send a message of weakness around the world with tears? Why ride you husbands back to the White House? I will vote for Obama.

February 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  2. Big boy

FAKE TEARS AGAIN?.......na na na not this time mrs Clinton.

February 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  3. Robin Wagner from ct

President CRY BABY CLINTON LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  4. kevin from alaska

My Mom taught me you only cry when people are born and when people die.

February 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  5. Jim

February 4, 2008 5:42 pm ET

Why do so many HATE Hillary?

LOL............Your kidding right ?

Type Hillary Clinton Scandals into the google search bar. She even has a court date on February 27th that she has put off three times , hoping she can win the nomination before it is all over the front pages.

Then there is the problem BOTH Clintons have , when they open there mouth another lie comes out.

February 4, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  6. vick

TO DEMOCRATIC FRIENDS,

GIVE ONE CHANCE TO SENATOR CLINTON AS A "WOMEN PRESIDENT" AND SEE THE POSITIVE DIFFERENCE IN YOUR LIFE(MORE JOBS, ECONOMY, CHILD EDUCATION, HEALTH CARE, WORLD PEACE, LESS MORTGAGE PAYMENTS) IN YEAR 2009.

IN NOVEMBER 2008

DEMO NOMINI DEMOCRATIC REPUBLICANS
    (% VOTES) (% VOTES)

CLINTON 60-65% 35-40%

BARACK OBAMA 40-45% 55-60%

PLEASE VOTE FOR SENATOR CLINTON. IF SHE WILL TOMORROW AND SHE WILL GET THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION AND SHE WILL WIN IN NOVEMBER 2008. IN 2009 SHE WILL GOING TO BE THE FIRST WOMEN PRESIDENT OF AMERICA.
    THANKS.

February 4, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  7. LIZ

Obviously some people who leaves comments did not read the full story!! And she was not crying....she tearing up reflexing on her past. I hope you all get teared up and others laugh at you so you can know what it feels like!!! And I bet the most of yas are young and out of touch anyway!

She is tough and a fighter and proved it more than anyone else on this campaign!!!

February 4, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  8. BOB

LATEST POLL OUT TODAY MONDAY 2/4....BY SURVEY USA

CALIFORNIA CLINTON LEADS BY 12 POINTS

MISSOURI CLINTON LEADS BY 11 POINTS

NEW JERSEY CLINTON LEADS BY 11 POITS

POLL JUST RELEASED

GO HILLARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  9. Kat, Huntington, West Virginia

Peggie-
    thank you-I only wish I had been able to say it as eloquently. We need a president who is human and not afraid to show her emotions OR her strength-Hillary 08!!!

February 4, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  10. No Hill

Anything for a vote – but she has done this already. Old Hillary is up to her Old tricks.... again.

February 4, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  11. Rachel - CA

Ughhh, Hillary – why must you cry every time you go down in the polls?

People, please don't buy into this again.

February 4, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  12. AJ, IL

All you delusional die-Hard Hillary Supporters please stop defending Hillary about this "teary-eyed" scene. All this crap about she has heart and should be allowed to cry just makes me want to "HURL"! It nearly the exact time frame when she "got all teared up" in New Hampshire on Jan. 7th, the morning before a primary .

If Hillary had demonstrated more emotion (tearing up) during the 1990s when she was being attacked by Republicans or when Bill Clinton got caught cheating on her, these events would have a sense of authenicity.

To borrow a phrase from Bill Clinton, "GIVE ME A BREAK!...THIS WHOLE THING IS THE BIGGEST FAIRY TALE I'VE EVER SEEN!"

February 4, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  13. Vignesh

How has Hillary fought for children? She is against the freedom of speech and wants to ban "Mature" games to minors. Doesn't she realize that "Mature" is the same as "R" which basically means that it is the parent's discretion? I do not understand what this woman is talking about, games like Halo 3 are acceptable for children to view with their parent's discretion.

Apparently she thinks the "Government" has the right to parent children. Great, now do we not only have the goverment watching over us but they are raising our children too. What next, Children have too be ripped away from their parents to live in government built houses?

I have always believed children should see charachters committing heroic actions. This means that although movies like "Braveheart" or video games such as "Brothers in Arms" are acceptable for children despite being rated "Mature". So apparently the government is telling me I can't think any more and have to raise my kids like they want me too.

February 4, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  14. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia in CA

Do any of you morons vote?

February 4, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  15. John Q

OMG Are you serious? This is just pathetic. Now let's see if it works again.

I find this extremely irritating. Hopefully we'll see some ACTUAL tears at the convention when she LOSES the nomination!

February 4, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  16. Patricia

I guess someone else touched her heart--we all know it's not cnn. you show how much you hate her. Keep it up it helps her.

February 4, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  17. pl. at the UN for a while.

On weakness and strength.
    Traditionally, men head for the bottle to wash things down; women clean after them with their tears.
    Can anyone give me an instance where my observation doesn't hold up?
    And since when tearing up equals weakness or lack of capacity!!

February 4, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  18. Ed

I wholeheartedly agree with Peggie!!!!! Read her post please. I don't think I could have stated it better!

February 4, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  19. Sanjay

She didn't cry. If you must attack her, at least find something substantial. It seems hypocritical for all these Obama-lovers to fawn over all the flowery emotional appeals in his speeches about hope and unity, and yet criticize Hillary for showing a little emotion. In a democracy, people get the leaders they deserve – let's hope this country is deserving of a leader like Hillary Clinton.

February 4, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  20. Lou Russell

I wish I would see one of the male presidential candidates cry over something sympathetic . If the tears are genuine then it is a human attribute, neither male or female trait.
    If Hilary Clinton cried during a confrontation that would be another matter. It would show weakness in a clash-–but it is a virtue to shed tears over moments of tenderness not a handicap!

February 4, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  21. Robin

Hey Paul,

Below I'm qouting you
    "I amy be looking into what the GOP has to offer."

Hey, haven't you been watching T.V....you should know by now what the GOP has to offer, but in case you miss it...here's what the GOP is offering

"OLD....OLDER.....OLD AS Dirt....and OLD & CONFUSE....I think that sums up the 4 GOP runner....

February 4, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  22. J Huntington, WV

I never thought FOX would be the Channel I would get my news from...but CNN has given me no choice..what a bunch of losers! If any of them had worked as hard as Hillary and had nice things said about them, concerning issues that matter deeply I would hope some emotion would be shown.

GO HILLARY!!!!

February 4, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  23. DG

As a woman, I am COMPLETELY aghast that a supposed feminist would hinge her campaign on crying at opportune moments. I was willing to consider that Hillary had an authentic emotional moment on the eve of New Hampshire's primary. But a second crying episode the day before Super Tuesday? In the words of Bill Clinton: "give me a break."

February 4, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  24. hopeful

Hillary Haters are republicans......pretending to back Obama........Don't be fooled....GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  25. JC

THE CLINTONS ARE VERY GOOD AT SELF DESTRUCTION

Hillary will regret for the rest of her life to have abused her tears for the second time.

Whether it was not an act to fool voters, but for a person who has 35 years, the timing was very bad. For sure she is NOT good at making judgements.

May be one day she will say that .... "" If I knew what cost the me Super Tuesday Elections, I would have not abused my tears.

The damage has been done and one cannot blame the media, she brought this on herself.

OBAMA has been handed the torch to lead the democratic ticket in Nov 08