February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Zach

***Future Ticker***CNN***

October 15, 2009
    For the second time in as many attempt’s Hillary Clinton’s health care ambitions have failed on the floor of Congress. Unable and unwilling to reach across party lines to solve the national health crisis millions of American’s will continue to live without health care. When reached for comment, Hillary wept.

March 28, 2010
    Prime ministers, Presidents, dignitaries, and leaders from around the world met today in Jerusalem to announce an international armistice to begin a progressive movement towards peace in the Middle East and around the world. Because of her unwillingness to meet with leaders from supposed anti-American nations for fear of propaganda, the President of the United States did not merit an invitation to this auspicious moment in human history. Hillary cried.

The only two times in Hillary's life she has ever cried was when others were either asking about how she felt or singing her praises... go away... for the good of America.

February 4, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  2. mary meadows

Give me a break CNN. Hillary did not even come close to crying. Why all the favorable coverage for Obama? Why not turn your high powered lens on everthing Obama says and does. Perhaps because there is not really much substance behind all his rhetoric.

February 4, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  3. margie

Will Sarr.
    They do not like her because she is a strong woman. Period.
    This is a macho attempt to make her look weak. Look at Obama's endorsers.....majority are male.
    Margaret Thatcher cried when there were emotional speeches. Bush cried when talking about Iraq at the early stages.
    Hillary is the only one that can help this country.
    Don't worry she will win the presidency. Mark my words.

PRESIDENT HILLARY CLINTON is coming to town.

February 4, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  4. Eric

I am one of those Democrats that stuck with Obama but would have been content with either Hillary or Barack in the White House. What we have seen over the past month however, is that Hillary Clinton does not have the experience to be president. She cannot handle her husband and his big mouth, she cannot even handle her own emotions. Is this the technique that is going to be used when she has difficulty talking with the heads of state?

Three months ago I would have been fine with either but if Hillary wins I have to vote for McCain.

February 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  5. stheil

The bias against Sen. Clinton is evident on CNN, starting with the refusal to call her by her professional title – Senator.

Then there is the Obama worship and covert support. I don't think you can call yourself a newsperson: you have converted to an advocate.

This is not said lightly, but after months of watching Clinton slurs on your part, not to mention the enthusiasm displayed when Bill defends her.

Not nice, not nice.

February 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  6. KIrby

Have any of you critics ever become emotional over family events, friends' special occasions, reunion activities – give me a break! She's allowed to be human just as must as Obama kisses his wife in public, says she is his rock and shows emotion. Get a life you negative critics.

Once again CNN has drawn the response they wanted!

Go Hillary

February 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  7. Maria Victoria

I am a hispanic woman and I can tell you I get emotional and I see NOTHING wrong with it!!!!! What I do see as wrong is a democratic party who shamelessly promotes a man(Mr. Obama) who is arrogrant("all of Hillary's supporters will vote for me but I can tell you mine won't vote for her"). Well, this is one Hillary supporter who is a lifelong democrat but WILL NOT vote for the arrogant Obama under any circumstances! Just because he is very good looking and personable doesn't mean he will be a good president. The next laugh is the Kennedys talking about change and we're supposed to take that seriously? Those fossils have been part of the democratic establishment for over 40 years!!!!!! I am sure they have their own axes to grind with the Clintons. According to the media, Obama is already the nominee and I resent that very much. If anyone says ANYTHING not in favor of Mr. Obama of course they are a racist. I'm sure my commentary will be branded that way because of course NO ONE could ever just think he would not make a good president because he lacks experience or because they don't believe he is ready to lead the country. I believe he has many of the same qualities Mr. Bush had: little real experience, very likeable and of course a wealth of arrogance. I don't want a repeat of someone like that in the White House whether Democrat or Republican. Sadly, before this campaign began, and all Mr. Obama's blitz and all his new found friends hit the media, I might have voted for him. I like the idea of an African American president very much-but not him. His arrogant remarks and the way he has conducted his campaign have made McCain look better and better all the time if Hillary is not selected. So, I say GO Hillary, despite all the sexist remarks and cuts and all the unfair treatment-go all the way to the White House as president!

P.S. I am also tired of being characterized as a "beer drinking" democrat. I have 4 college degrees and a 6 figure income. I don't like wine or beer-I prefer Scotch.

February 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  8. Cathy in Walnut, California

I think that Clinton's tears is the worst ploy any woman in a leadership position can exhibit. One of the biggest mistakes for a female to make in a position that is usually held by men is the "tears" ploy. It demonstrates one of the worst fallacies about females in leadership; "they are to emotional or weak to be in top leadership positions." What is she going to do "start to cry" if world leaders don't agree with her or her positions or if she makes a bad leadership decision – "start crying and tell the American People that she is sorry!" This "crying" in public gives me great concerns about her leadership strength.

p.s. I was in top leadership positions that were traditionally held my males for twenty-five years. The "tears ploy" is the number one unimaginable behavior in corporate America or politics.

Cathy
    Walnut, California

February 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  9. Roselle

Oprah cries every day on her show and she is the most influential woman in America! You can't have it both ways – Hillary is an amazing, brilliant candidate and this country will get what it deserves. I am voting for her with all my heart, but if the rest of the blind people just want to vote without thinking – go ahead. Oprah says she is not voting for Barack because he is black, but because he is brilliant. Give me a break! If you want brilliance, VOTE FOR HILLARY. Oprah, why don't you check their IQs and then make your vote for brilliance – I think you're getting way too big for your shoes.

February 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  10. Diana

This is RIDICULOUS!!!
    i am very very dissapointed, I had read reports that cllaimed Hillary would be the most likely to do anything to win... well... I never thought this could be true.
    After seeing Hillary`s fake tears, this is just too much!
    Hillary, you had my vote untill today!
    If you can fake your way throught an election, who knows what you could do once you are in office.

Obama, you now have a new supporter. (Please don`t cry )

February 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  11. Steve

We expect our presidents to be solid, unwavering representations of our country. Tears are not what I want from our leaders. I don't want to see the soft side of a president, because it is perceived as weakness. She needs to reign in her emotions at this time, regardless of how she feels, and come off as a b**** if she has to, because I'd rather have someone tough as nails than wet rag in the white house. My 2 cents.

February 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  12. vick

TO DEMOCRATIC FRIENDS,

GIVE ONE CHANCE TO SENATOR CLINTON AS A "WOMEN PRESIDENT" AND SEE THE POSITIVE DIFFERENCE IN YOUR LIFE(MORE JOBS, ECONOMY, CHILD EDUCATION, HEALTH CARE, WORLD PEACE, LESS MORTGAGE PAYMENTS) IN YEAR 2009.

IN NOVEMBER 2008

DEMO NOMINI ----–DEMOCRATIC----------REPUBLICAN
    ------------(% VOTES)-----------–(% VOTES)

CLINTON--------60-65%--------------35-40%

BARACK OBAMA----–40-45%--------------55-60%

PLEASE VOTE FOR SENATOR CLINTON. IF SHE WILL TOMORROW AND SHE WILL GET THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION AND SHE WILL WIN IN NOVEMBER 2008. IN 2009 SHE WILL GOING TO BE THE FIRST WOMEN PRESIDENT OF AMERICA.
    THANKS.

February 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  13. Hillary go home

Honestly Hillary we had it with you take your husband and go home, we want changes and here to see you cry? pleaseee
    OBAMA 2008

February 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  14. New Jersey for Obama '08

This is certainly hogwash....boo hoo! She is the one with the experience and strength. She is going to cry herself all they way to the Whitehouse!!! After she finds herself tomorrow...This ain't going to work Bilary!!!! The race is tight and people aren't dumb....

February 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  15. roxy

Before you go blasting Clinton for her "welled up eye act" shouldn't you take a look at Obama and the Media stunt he just pulled off in Los Angeles???
    Gimme a break- They're all palying cards. Obama is no better/worse than Clinton is.

February 4, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  16. Anton

You cannot get EXPERIENCE out of books. It takes years to get it and Hillary Clinton has it hands down over Obama. Wake up people. You were had by the Bushe's three times and it took a Clinton to get this country on the right track and it will take a Clinton to get this country going in the right direction again. GO HILLARY GO !!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  17. Gerald

How's Hillary going to react in the face of another major crisis like 9/11 or Hurricane Katrina? The last thing I want from my President during tough times is tears. Vote for Obama!

February 4, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  18. Sgt. Anger

Let's look at it this way. Any person who bases their vote on a cheap emotional display should not be allowed anywhere near the voting booth. Its not as if this cheap trick hasnt been tried by her before, and Im not talking about New Hampshire either. Anyone ever notice how her accent and dialect changes dependant upon who shes talking too? Shes about as real as Britney Spears' new British accent.
    U.S. enemies use anything and everything to rally behind. I don't prefer a president who portrays weakness. It can and does get used against us. Besides that, pity votes by moronic people only speaks to our combined intelligence.
    I consider myself independant for a reason, so I can educate myself and vote for the best person for the job, not along party lines. At this point however I would vote for anyone or anything instead of Hillary. We can see her shed real tears when she loses. God help up otherwise.

February 4, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  19. New Jersey for Obama '08

February 4, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  20. Kim

I am not upset that she cried. I am just upset that she is tearing up again the eve before a primary. I mean really, Hillary, enough is enough...I did support you but as a women this needs to stop....

I might have to vote for someone else now....

February 4, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  21. sean

having emotions is human, showing them is weakness.
    is she going to cry when Putin plays hardball, get all weepy when chavez calls her the devil.

February 4, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  22. Dianne

For crying out loud! Leave it to the media to spin a snapshot in time into more than it is. So Hillary expresses emotions – what's wrong with that? I would much rather have a President who is a human being, in mind, body, heart and soul than someone who is cold, rigid, and puts on the same public face day in and day out. Part of the problem with the people we entrust with our lives is that we elect people who have either never walked in our shoes or forgotten how. Hillary Clinton is a woman who has been ahead of her time, charting the course for herself and other women as well as men. Anyone who has researched her credentials and Obama's would see for themselves that Hillary is the clear choice of Democratic candidates for President.

February 4, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  23. 65-Year-Old Female for Obama

Obama has the ability to bring individuals of all ages together with HOPE for our future and for our children's and grandchildren's future.

Vote for Obama for the CHANGE that we need in our country!

Obama '08

February 4, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  24. Crystal

Too bad Hillary

February 4, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  25. Anonymous

What crying? I kept waiting for it and it never happened. Another meaningless story.

February 4, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |