February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Terri White

To Terri:

Let me try to convince you to vote for Hillary.

Three reasons to vote for Hillary:
    1. Hillary is a very good example of what a woman should do when faced with difficulties, cry and cry and cry.
    2. Hillary cannot fight her own battles; she allows her husband to distort the truth to suit their needs.
    3. Hillary did a great job as First Lady of Arkansas, helping to improve the public education system there. Now poor white and black students who attend public schools in Arkansas have gone from being completely illiterate to functionally illiterate.

February 4, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  2. Adajude

Hillary, you wasted the tears in N.H. you really needed here in California.

February 4, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  3. Edward

I am not buying it this time, seems very calculated. Sorry Hillary, I am not voting for you, I am for Obama now.

February 4, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  4. SYoung

It is amazing to me how the media puts a spin on everything Hilary does or says. They take almost everything out of context.Over the last few days it is so obvious how much the media want Obama to be the nominee. Every channel gives Obama a lot of air time. That seems really unfair to the American voter. There are two candidates.
    Is it because he speaks in poetic prose or has a great command of the language? He is a wonderful orator but there have been others. Hitler comes to mind for one. The Germans were hungry, out of work and disillusioned in the 30's. Along comes this inspirational speaker who talked them into following him right to the gates of hell. That is a dramatic analogy but history does tend to repeat itself. Let's not lose our heads here. There is so much at stake! What are we inspiring our people to do. Where is the beef? Where is the track record? As far as endorsements go Kennedy is not such a great endorsement. They really do have a very sordid history. Maybe Obama made a deal with them. Endorse me and I will take care of you when I make it to the White House. Or maybe Ted will be able to really experience the presidency vicariously. As far as the Iraq war vote issue . Could it be that Obama voted against the war because he had sympathy for the muslims? Just a thought.

February 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  5. Ron

This is to the people out there who can't see beyond an obvious ploy to play on the heartstrings of Americans:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. If Hillary devotees can be fooled so easily, who knows what you'll put up with over the next four years!

"She's only human."
    "I would've been emotional too."
    "She's not made of stone, you know!"

WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Grow up and wake up. The only choice is Obama in 08!

February 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  6. Shawn

All I know is that I don't want a President who cries when things get tough. Grow up Hillary, I think the last time I cried was when I skinned my knee in the 5th grade. Jeezzzz! This women is supposed to be our commander and chief? I will NEVER vote for a Clinton.

February 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  7. jay

Unbelievable! She tries this bs again just because she wants to be leader. Give me a break Americans are not that stupid to fall for this again! Give me a break!
    Obama Edwards 08

February 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  8. CAS

Just like a Clinton. She learned form Bill how to cry on cue. They clearly will do anything to win....................... Enough with the Clinton Croccodile Tears.

Elect someone who is honest and genuine. Obama '08

February 4, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  9. Jay

seriously, i just watched the "video byte" and she's not even crying.. this is rediculous CNN.. seriously.

to the people: WATCH the video

to CNN: Grow up

February 4, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  10. Bill

I feel her pain....LOL

February 4, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  11. RJB2

Tears of a clown...please not again

February 4, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  12. ryan

Let's see............ she cried 28 days ago............ She cried today............maybe it's her time of the month?

February 4, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  13. Damian

Oh come-on... did you guy's watch the clip...?
    There wasn't much tear action goin' on at all.

Try to focus on the issue of what she was doing there.
    Once again CNN your agenda is quite clear – you know what I mean.

February 4, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  14. Nika

The misogynistic bias of the media is so blatant it’s ridiculous. The candidates are all running on empty at this point and all of them are having times where they are emotional. However, it’s only when it’s Hillary that there is any attention paid at all. Shame on anyone silly enough to fall for this!

Hillary is the only candidate with a true plan for Universal Health Care for all Americans, and the only Democrat not trying to pander to Republicans.

Go Hillary!

February 4, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  15. Tim

Actually, here we go moment for media. Showing emotions has nothing to do with crying. Media -somehow and I don't know why – wants to see Obama as the candidate, then we should crown "media darling" Obama as the candidate because we've been told so. There is no coverage about how divisive Michelle Obama's speech when she indicated that she won't support Hillary if she is the candidate... Instead of preaching about "being a uniter", I think first of all Obama family should gracefully act like a uniter instead of talk like a uniter... My vote is for Hillary.

February 4, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  16. TH

oh, my Godness. where are we women of American? Don't you think all women are gone. They had spent a hard time together, but now then, they support for men! what on earth going on? Don't you think we are heartless, cold and helpless.We don't sympathize her, but also scold her. Here I say all American. They don't appreciate her work, what are they going to appriciate? Only men's work can appreciate? Let women of America show their strength that man can't have it.

VOTE FOR HILARY CLINTON

February 4, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  17. Jerry CA

She didn't cry. She was touched and maybe a bit misty-eyed. It was a bit of an emotional moment lasting only a couple of seconds, and it was genuine. She's human, after all. A lot of men in the political arena have out-right cried, even Bush. There was never a peep about that. You guys are scared to death of Hillary, aren't you?

February 4, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  18. Admiral Dontdomein(virgin)

wow, once again hilary trying to sway the election with her lousy attempts at showing us her heart. at the beginning of this election, hilary was a totally different person than. ps, she is the anti christ

February 4, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  19. For Shame

Fool me once…shame on you. Fool me twice…no, we're not falling for that a second time.

February 4, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  20. Mary

I just watched the video... if she was crying then I would stand by the comment I made earlier. which was made before I watched the Video. Now I say, .. What tears?? The Spin on this article is ridiculous!! CNN is not Clinton news Network anymore... maybe they should rename themselves OPN for Obama's PROPAGANDA Network. Get a clue people. The guy is a liar. He's really a republican plant. Get a Clue people.

February 4, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  21. terry

Will Sarr asks:

"Why do so many HATE Hillary?

I think it's that they DON"T TRUST OR BELIEVE HILLARY.

Usually what's the best way to know the integrity of an individual? Most often those
    who are close to you know you best.

Have you noticed that most of her friends have abandoned her because they don't trust her. Look at Kerry, Gore, Kennedy, Dean and sooo many others-they have been the closest to the Clintons and have all been totally turned off by them.

Think about it!

February 4, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  22. Renee' Va

She has got to go we just don't need this.

February 4, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  23. mary

Boo hoo hoo.! The calculating candidate does it again. Does she think we are so gullible to fall for another insincere "real" moment. This confirms she is not deserving of the Presidency and highlights her cunning, deceptive, manipulative immoral character. I do not want a Bush in a skirt. I do not want a Democratic parallel of Bush and Cheney, ie Hill and Bill. Her vision of America entalis herself only. Please people, see through her insincerity.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OBAMA '08!

February 4, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  24. Dem08

This is not a ploy and anyone who bothers to actually watch and listen to the whole story would know this.

I personally like knowing that my next President as human emotions. Why do we not see stories like this about men running for the White House. Once again. Bias.

February 4, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  25. CHERYL

SORRY PHONY TEARS----– OPRAH'S A FRAUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |