February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Dem08

Instead of judging Hillary Clinton on hearsay, everyone should watch her nationwide town hall meeting tonight. Prodcast on her site and on the Hallmark channel at 9pm. She will answer on-line questions and question from the audience. Make an informed decision before voting. In a democracy, all the canidates deserve to be heard and equal grounds. Just a suggestion, but I am sure many will only be interested in what someone says about Clinton instead of what Clinton actually says.

Hallmark 9pm

February 4, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  2. OBAMA4EVER

HILLARY IS PAYING PEOPLE TO WRITE POSITIVE COMMENTS ABOUT HER ON THIS BOARD....AMERICANS PLEASE DO NOT FALL FOR HILLARY'S DIRTY POLITICAL TRICKS

February 4, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  3. Candi

How stupid does she think we are. I am ashamed for all of us women that this candidate would do such a thing while holding herself out as an example for us all. This candidate has a history of trying to fool us. Back in the whitewater days she was ahead of the curve on her investments while the Clinton did favors for their friends in Arkansas. She was also the victim of a huge right wing conspiracy whil;e her husband was committing perjury and being impeached. She may think americans have a short memory but she cannot sell her bottles of worthless remedies to us for ever. I was fooled once shame on me, I won't be fooled again.

February 4, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  4. Jaena from Boston

Question....

How do you keep Big Mo from taking over an election? You cry when Big Mo shows up. Do this everytime and Big Mo will back down. Big Mo showed up after Iowa supporting Obama and was turned away right before NH. Big Mo is back just in time for Super Tuesday. Here are the tears again....hoping to push Big Mo away again.

Big Mo = momentum

Yes, we can.....!

February 4, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  5. OBAMA4EVER

Clinton is successfully wooing wealthy Indian Americans, many of them business leaders with close ties to their native country and an interest in protecting outsourcing laws and expanding access to worker visas. Her campaign has held three fundraisers in the Indian American community recently, one of which raised close to $3 million,

February 4, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  6. mn

Vote for Hillary!

February 4, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  7. Open your eyes - FL

Will Sarr...

...because she's fighting to be something she's NOT. She is not presidential. A president should be a leader by definition, not an authoritarian boss. She is not some tremendous humanitarian as she attempts to portray herself. Humanitarians do not spend 15 years as a corporate lawyer. Corporate lawyers often take a business' side to a very human problem (ie fighting unions, workers' rights, etc). She is a liar and is very deceptive. The tactics that her and Bill have been using are disgraceful to say the least. She wears a public face that is very obvious to many with some kind of emotional intelligence. Many people just cannot see it and that dumbfounds the people that do. Her actions, mannerisms, expressions and word choices are all forced and manipulated. The real Hillary is cold, emotionally distant and combative... traits she cannot possibly portray if she wants any chance at winning. Hence all of these public displays of emotion never before seen from Hillary. Many see thru it though... There are outburts of it where it easier to see... such as when her judgement is questioned in a debate. Her facial expressions dictate someone that is becoming very agitated.

Direct word from my ex-Secret Service Grandfather... The Clintons were a nightmare to everyone in the Whitehouse while they were there. Everyone was terrified of Hillary. She essentially told Al Gore to go stand in a closet.

All of this on top of the hordes of Clinton scandals... Add it all of and you get someone the majority of people anywhere are going to hate.

February 4, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  8. Fernando

There is nothing wrong with displaying emotions. But as Commander and Chief of the free world that does not go good. In that position you must display strength. When have you seen the Queen of England lose control in front of the media? Obama 08! YES WE ARE!

February 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  9. Bill

Aw, come on. What's with the silly stereotypes? Crying does not equal "weak" or "woman," and it does not equal deceit. Her longtime friend is saying to a bunch of people (at an important moment during a grueling process): "Here is somebody who actually grew up to be what they wanted to be. And what she set out to be is something that is noble and important in our world." If someone could say that about me, I'd weep.

I'm not a Hillary fan, but good grief, people!

February 4, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  10. AC

Come on!! Give me a break!! Enough is enough! Now we are saying that someone can't cry or tear up during an emotional moment? The media is making this into a bigger deal than it is. She is a HUMAN BEGIN just like everyone else and she should not be afraid to show her real emotions. Anyone with any sense can see that it's not an act. I have been a long time Hillary supporter and have liked Obama as well. Even though I wanted her to be our nominee, I would have been happy with Obama. Lately though I have been turned off by all this attack Hillary in the media mess and it has turned me off to voting at all if she isn't the nominee.

February 4, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  11. Paul, Atlanta

Hillary supporters will have the last laugh tomorrow. All the polls are biased towards Obama as the pollsters are only polling the young voters on the street. The seniors are going to come out tomorrow and overwhelmingly vote for Hillary.

We have 90 year olds in our hospital who wanted to live for the day they voted for a woman president. Hillary is going to win overwhelmingly tomorrow, look for the result!

CNN will not aire this statement since they are very biased towards Obama but it's just worth a try!

February 4, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  12. Ellen-Atlanta,Georgia

How could you all possibly know what she is thinking. I am an Obama and a Clinton supporter, but formost I am for the Democratic party. Why do we always have to dog the other "guy" out? We as Democrats should be uniting our party to win in November whoever our nominee is. Leave the sniping for the Republicans.

February 4, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  13. Beth

I think CNN should apologize to America for not reporting what is really important to our lives, issues. This bashing of Hillary is to much to bare, as a woman I understand now how hard it is to be a leader. Thanks CNN,MSNBC and all other Obama biased news agency for reminding women why this is still a mans world.
    Over the past few days my friends that were for Obama are switching to Clonton because the got sick of all the celebrities stc. coming and helping him it reminded them of why they first thought he was inexperienced. He cant stand on his own two feet. I have a feeling that all this media loving and rockstar obama attitude might backfire...If not now, then if he gets the nom it will turn to the Republicans

February 4, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  14. Martin

Hillary I love You

February 4, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  15. american woman

hey Obamites!

I guess you never had a mother, a sister, a grand mother, a daughter that teard up with a happy emotion.

get real people! so Hillary teared up when her teacher introduced her... who wouldn't any woman would..... that doesn't mean she cried because she was loosing.

this is a double standard no matter how much "change" you bring to the political system that will never change

change change change we all want change.

change is electiing the 1st woman president in this great nation
    change is not sending another man to the white house

lets make history
    elect the 2st woman president Hillary Rodham Clinton and make real change

February 4, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  16. mn

This is just a natural and emotional reaction. If I have the same situation, I may have that emotional feeling. Be fair!

Vote for Hillary!

February 4, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  17. Ms. Rene Freeman

What a relief to see that people are not buying into this again. Tears and Bill working the black churches – sounds like the gender and race card again.

February 4, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  18. Truth

Preachers don't cry when they eulogized funerals...why because they have to be strong for the family and friends of the deceases even if they themselves were a friend. Many preachers might want to cry but they understand they serve a greater purpose, to bring comfort to those you are hurting.

Hillary needs to learn that lesson, she's nor president material. I could understand if she cried over the death of our troops, 9/11, Katrina or something of that magnitude...I wonder how many tears have she shed for them. Someone ask her how do you do it or praise her and she breakdown and cry...OUTRAGED!!!

Hillary some advice leaders shed tears for others and let others shed tears for them. Hillary is selfish and every time she cries it reminds me of why I would never vote for her.

February 4, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  19. Ray

She's only human. She is an activist. It is an emtional time. Why shouldn't she get emotional? All you have teared before haven't you?

February 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  20. Jim

This woman is a joke. You can't even submit a question for her town hall meeting UNLESS YOU ARE ONE OF HER SUPPORTERS.

February 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  21. Maria

At the very start of this campain , when the field was yet quite crouded, I saw two political opportunists that run entirely on their media-hyped images. One was Rudy (our hero of 9/11, looking cool against the background of smoltering WTC towers). The other was Obama making a cool speech at convention. Both have no other accomplishments. Unfortunately, Mr. Obama turned out to be so "inspirational" that people got bought into this media-made image and have their minds manipulated. So sad. Eight years ago, poor christian conservatives got brain-washed. Now it's turn for young democratic voters and african americans. In both cases, not much thinking is done by the voters.
    My comment stands very little chance to be posted. CNN is big part in this obama-mania.

February 4, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  22. Debbie

I think you Clinton haters are so very ignorant. No matter what this woman does she always comes out looking bad to you people. I guess Obama wasn't whining when he said that the Clinton's were picking on him. Give me a break Cnn, msnbc,fox they are all biased when it comes to Obama. I would really hate to see what he does if he gets the nomination and when the republicans get a hold of him is he going to whine about that too? Come news media stop being so biased please!!

February 4, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  23. Virginia Voter

Displaying a real human emotion when an old friend speaks kindly is exactly the response I, as a fellow human, would expect Throw off the perpetual cynicism. Allow her to be human.

February 4, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  24. rob

at least she is not a flip flopper..she is crying again.....my friends she pulled out the cry card again...oh no

February 4, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  25. Alex

how pathetic that we try to make our candidates shed their humanity at the door. A woman is introduced in an extremely moving way by someone who she looked up to and worked with in college, who says he is proud of her and she mists up a bit. It would be disingenuous to feel the emotion and not express it for fear of looking week. On the republican side, Mitt Romney has the opportunity to go to the funeral of the leader of his church and all the pundits question how it will effect him politically. I have seen John McCain cry and George Bush and Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan. And seeing them cry reminds me of my own humanity and makes me love my country even more, because it is run by human beings with the capacity to care about the lives and opinions of their fellow men. Any woman who says that because Hillary is a woman, she can't be emotional, should quit hating themselves so much.

February 4, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |