February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. WE NEED OBAMA NOW!

No, Susan. Hillary with her calculated cry is the person who voted for Bush to send our children to be sluaghtered. The same per who bring herself to apologize because of pride.

Obama 08'

February 4, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  2. Rev from LA

Tearing up is not a sign of weakness. It shows Hillary feels. Politics should not only be about the head but also should involve the heart. Women who consider crying as weakness perpetuate gender stereotype.

February 4, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  3. Scott

So, there is one of Hillary's campaign people on tv right now arguing that Americans want socialism. He is trying to justify taking money out of people's paychecks in order to proivde universal health care to everyone. He said it is the price you pay to be an American. Is that the stance that Hillary supporters are taking?

February 4, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  4. Dick

Shame on those with such bitter comments–Must be very unhappy people to derive pleasure from such immature cruelty.–Doesn't work in elementary school and certainly not now!

February 4, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  5. Michael

Can we just stop the hate? The Obama supporters are so pathetic. There is no reason for your negative responses to this article. This article should not have had this headline. It is obvious that the press again is setting this up for such hateful messages.

Give Hillary a break. SHE HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING TO HURT ANY OF US.

February 4, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  6. Amar Ali

Either way if she is faking or not it does not look good, because if that was real then she is too emotional to be Commander and cheiff of the United States and if it was calculated then she is a fony!!!!!

February 4, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  7. independent for obama

i don't know if Hillary was faking or not but i do know that it does not matter and shouldn't even be given the light of day from the press. It's distracting and petty.

February 4, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  8. Joan S

Oh puh-lease! Fool me once, shame on me! Fool me twice – well, you've worn out your strategy. On the other hand, if this is genuinely all it takes to bring Hillary to tears, we definitely do not want to entrust her weak emotional state with the truly terribly onerous demands that the Presidency will confront her with – DAILY!
    I suspect, though, this is just another melodramatic Clinton ploy – too many of which we've had to endure the first time around. I'm SO tired of their games..

Ba-ROCK ON!!!!

February 4, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  9. tyler

Hillary is the americans only chance.!!!!

Its unbelievable how you people are falling for Obamas fake smile and mediocre
    answers. He will not help your country! Get her in there and finally maybe the USA will earn the respect of the world. Hillary has the experience and you all are pissy cuz she is too hard lined or pissy cuz she cries! Gimme a break and get with the program! Wake up Obama is NOT Martin King he is really a fake!

February 4, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  10. Annette

Do we really want the Clintons in the white house again? She should of cried when her hubby cheated on her, instead she acted as if she really could give a care and moved on and where was a tear for all those young men and women who died when she voted for the War.... Her tears are not real. People need to wake up and see the real Hilly for what she is, a FAKE! I don't trust her or her hubby back in the white house. We need a change and that change is Barack Obama – 08

February 4, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  11. Disappointed in LA

Oh my gosh. Tears again? On the eve of Super Tuesday? It's time for an Academy Award nomination. Don't be fooled America. In our mailboxes today is a Clinton campaign piece filled with harsh lies about Obama. Tears on the trail, but knives in the mailbox.

February 4, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  12. Will

Another reason that if I can not vote for Sen Obama in the general, I will vote for Sen McCain.

February 4, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  13. Ron

Come on all you cynics. Listen to the intro. It made me tear up.

February 4, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  14. Sal

I never seen her cry when Bill was doing his thing in the W.H.

Sympathy maybe!

But not a sympathy vote for president.

She is Strong. LOL Where is (NOW)

Obama 08

February 4, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  15. Christina

Margaret February 4, 2008 4:51 pm ET

""this past week end I meet both Obama and Hilary and the one who got my vote is Hilary, she is warm , personable, she looked on my eye and 'nice to meet you', that's what I want from a candidate to knowledge you took you time to see her. on the other hand, Obama did not have time to shake hand eventhough I was few steps next to him. He seems very full of himself and arrogant.""

Hey Margaret, I seen the both of them when they were in my state. The crowd at Obama's was HUGE so I couldn't get close to him. Hillary, was sort of full as well but not nearly as much. In any case, I didn't met either one because I didn't look face to face with either one and introduce myself.

Nonetheless, I ended up voting for him. I went there to hear a message, not see whom I felt more comfortable with or have one of them look me in the eye with some fake smile. Congrats on meeting Hillary though. It's a shame Obama was right there and you didn't get to meet him......

Oh btw you mentioned he seemed full of himself and arrogant. So, you didn't have a problem with Hillary being the inevitable candidate and most entitled? You weren't put off by that? Hmmmm.

February 4, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  16. akaDoug

At one point, about 2 months ago, I had convinced myself to vote for Hillary! But then reality set in...Obama is the right person at the right time! If somehow, people lose their minds and vote this drama-queen as the democratic nominee then I will vote McCain or not at all!

Go OBAMA!!

February 4, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  17. Don

Ive been to Obama's website, Hillary has him beat hands down on policy. They are similar, but her plans are better.

Obama4ever, there is nothing negative about Hillary's emotions today. It shows that she is a real person. It seems Obamaites want it both ways.

Peggy abouve said it best when it comes to showing emotion, its not a sign of weakness, or a ploy, its a show of strength and caring.

CNN is not the only news outlet guilty of one-sided reporting. Actually FOX is looking better and better.

February 4, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  18. Christine, NJ

I don't think anyone minds that Hillary has emotions or sheds a tear. What bothers people is that she uses those tears to further her agenda. She doesn't want to be excluded as a presidential nominee because she's a woman, yet she'll use the "aw, she's crying" ploy if she thinks it will garner sympathy. If the consensus is that she's coming across as too harsh, she drop a tear or two to show her softer side. It's contrived, staged and shows lack of character.

February 4, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  19. Robin Wagner from ct

Looks weak to me now there saying the same thing as they did in NH . Let her be herself it OK Media say .
    Sad I'm a women and I do not want a women crying everytime someone ask her a ????
    LOL it seems only when Obama polls is growing.
    NH NH NH NH NH NH AGAIN >

February 4, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  20. Obamahaha

The Obama camp's fanatics are starting to remind me of a certain republican candidate...Does the name Ron Paul ring a bell. It is when you are loosing a battle that the gloves come off and the fanatics rear their ugly faces, and Obama knows it, his: "I was always right about the Iraqi war!" Battle cry is the desperate grasp for a foothold of a soon to be "has been".

February 4, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  21. pramod

I don't know what is wrong with these women hating Hillary so much. I know OPRAH supported OBAMA because he is black. I know Caroline Kennedy supported Obama because she doesn't want women rulling. I think they are just jealous. They don't want to see another women in powerfull position. This is why women never control anything. Wake Up Women VOTE Hillary. I am man enough to vote for women. GO HILLARY. I'm not prejudice about saying BLACK, I'm Asian.

February 4, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  22. Robin Wagner from ct

MAYBE once ok . BUT TWICE >>>>>>>> GIVE ME A BREAK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and both time it been when Obama polls show it growing .

February 4, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  23. inspecdec1

Hillary has a heart of a true new yorker. You can be a strong leader and still show emotions like Joe Torre during his Yankees career. Those who believe that you must be cold and callous to be a leader do not have a true understanding of human nature. Obama, in his two piddly years in the senate, hasn't reached the maturity level or experience to show his true feelings, let alone lead.

February 4, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  24. Jeff in Va

Take a look at her... This is what she's going to do when faced with the big challenges that America has to offer.... Hummmm
    Maybe that "George" guy is one hell of a guy after all...
    Vote for strongness, proven leadership and an true American leader... Vote McCain, today we can tomorrow we will..
    Good Bless!

February 4, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  25. Rex, Toledo, Ohio

O.K. that seals it for me. I never did like the criminal Clinton, and I now realize that voting for Ron Paul would be my first choice, but wouldn't help to defeat Hillary Clinton. I have to place my vote where it counts, and that is why, I, Rex from Toledo, Ohio, who reads the Ticker half a dozen times a day, announces here that I will be placing my vote for Barack Obama. To vote any other way is disrespectful to every American that truly wants change for our Country.
    Obama '08

"I never thought I'd say that"

February 4, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |