February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Gil

Have any of you critics ever become emotional over family events, friends' special occasions, reunion activities – give me a break! She's allowed to be human just as much as Obama kisses his wife in public, says she is his rock and shows emotion. Get a life you negative critics.

Go Hill!

February 4, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  2. Mike

The problem with all of us at times, is that we are listening but not hearing what is being said. Listen to the speech and who is given it and you will see why it becomes slightly emotional. Look at the walls and see who drew the pictures in crayon. You got to love politics. Come on folks, the next 4 years (beginning in 2009) will be crucial in repairing our Country. Look at the environment, deficit spending, health care and our borders. Exxon ALONE made like, 40.6 Billion dollars in profit last year? Exxon alone! What do we talk about? Hillary going back in time to her college days and getting teary eyed.

Let’s take Barack Obama. I don’t see a post or blog on this page concerning the millions of Americans being left behind by the health care plan he proposed at the debate the other night. What about the more than a hundred votes he missed? Clever words about the straight talk express missing wheels is not going to resolve this Country’s issues. Don’t get me wrong, Barack seems to be a great guy, but that doesn’t make you qualified for anything. Neither does being a motivational speaker. Don’t put the cart before the horse folks. Listen to their answers before laying judgment. Being able to make people want to follow you down any road doesn’t mean you know the road. Being a great speaker doesn’t mean you can lead a Country, it merely means you’re a great Speaker! Is anyone listening to the answers? Not emotions, not the ability to motivate. Plans, agenda’s and solutions is what we should be discussing. Times running out and we ALL better start paying closer attention to what is NOT being said.

February 4, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  3. Jake, California

Hillary would make a good TOWN CRIER!

So Hillary believes that in general American's are stupid? Cry on the eve of the New Hamshire primaries and turn a double digit Obama lead into a victory and then cry again on the eve of super tuesday.....

come on America, you will not buy this, will you?

Is this how she's going to negotiate with Al Queada and other tough leaders around the world?

Crying, oh no. This is a no no Hillary you want to change the United States of America to the Pathetic States of America...PSA?

February 4, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  4. Anthony

Women are truly better than this.

I still can't believe that Hillary's last name has given her candidancy this much credibility considering how weak of a candidate she really is.

February 4, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  5. Charlotte

Man these big guys a afraid of tears, Why so worried?

February 4, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  6. park more, New Orleans

I am not only positive, but more that thousand time that Hillary is the best and she will be the president of us

February 4, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  7. Hillary For Us ALL

Another biased report with a hook head line just like all the others. This is insulting to women. The entire meeting wasn't "emotional" so what she teared up? It was a positive for every single male politician who ever did it. If she does it's a "tactic" uh huh...just goes to show you it's the same as the guy with the "Iron My Shirt" sign. That was treated as a kind of a chuckle on the networks. If it had been something directed at Obama like "Shine My Shoes!" everyone would have been up in arms and rightly so. Tell me there isn't any gender bias here?

Give me a break.

I'm voting for Hillary Clinton whether or not she shows a little tear or two and to insinuate that people are going to vote based on that is insulting to everyone. Most certainly it is insulting to Senator Clinton. Just as you meant it to be. The same as with the rest of this coverage and people are not just saying for sour grapes. They are saying it's biased coverage because it's a FACT. All day long, every day, right up to Super Tuesday....momentum indeed. Where did that come from? Certainly it couldn't be this MTV type of coverage of this election.

February 4, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  8. Nick in Las Vegas

This is SO BIASED. Unbelievable. You know, I support Hillary Clinton because I think she is the BEST qualified to run this country, PERIOD. However, until today I was willing to vote for OBAMA IF he got the nomination. However, I can not be in line with a group of supporters (Obama's) who would attack someone who (despite flaws, we are all human) as a public servant, a former first lady and someone who has stood in the national spotlight and withstood a great deal of scrutiny DESERVES RESPECT. I WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN OVER OBAMA! ***Final point, she was not CRYING! Watch the video! Have you ever had someone say something truely loving and heartfelt about you? I have and it brought me to tears.... the Obama supporters on this blog MAKE ME WANNA CRY, because they MAKE ME SICK!

February 4, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  9. Please

did any of you idiots?" watch the video, no of course, you just believe the media spin. She did not cry! what crap.

February 4, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  10. William A

The only deception here is the News Report itself. WHAT TEARS ? I saw and heard the Video. I DIDN'T HEAR ANY CRYING. I DIDN'T SEE ANY TEARS.

In fact, I heard Hillary laughing and speaking in normal tones! I heard her thanking her friend for his kind words. I heard her speak to the gathering at Yale.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? What is the purpose of this Headline and Deception?

I would really like to know the answer to that question.

February 4, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  11. Shun

For you all that are upset about the coverage... think.

Obama is the only guy doing anything INTERESTING today.... >.>

Now, Hilary makes a fool of herself and women everywhere.

So she gets coverage.

If Obama was crying he would get coverage.

If... some celebrity endorsed Clinton, she would get coverage.

What amazes me is.... NOT ONLY is Hilary is a fool. BUT she thinks EVERYONE else is a fool too.

...So, are you guys gonna prove this fool right or wrong?

Shun 18yo, Ark

February 4, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  12. PITTSBURGH 4 HILLARY

Come on people really Obama 08? Hillary is the only chance we stand at getting the job done! If Obama is elected his voice will be that of the "endorsers" that are trying to pave his way to the white house! He is a lot of hmmmms and ummmms! Im very fearful for whats to come with Obama as our leader!

We love you hear in PA, Hillary!! Keep the fight going, your the only one with enough tact and stamina!

HILLARY 08!!!!

February 4, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  13. PITTSBURGH 4 HILLARY

HILLARY 08!!!!

February 4, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  14. observer#1

CNN is so biased. Is this the very best reporting you can do on Hillary? I have found your one sided reporting pathetic. All day, every day your reports are on Obama, I am surprised we have not yet been informed as to how many times he went to the bathroom. If it's negative , you'll blow it out of proportion against Hillary. If it's negative on Obama, you turn it around to be positive . You should be ashambed of your "fair" reporting.

February 4, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  15. Allison

CNN I have visited your site for years and I have got to tell you that you are so biased in this election it is unreal. Now lets see if you will post this or not... You are so Pro Obama I can't believe it where in the world is the fairness. Go Hillary I love ya

February 4, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  16. maxm McGloin

I am sure the tears are real but why does she never shed a tear for the dead of Iraq, or Rawanda ,or Katrina or Oklahoma city?

February 4, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  17. independent voter

Fake, Fake, Fake,
    When Michelle Obama was asked today about the answer Hillary gave in an interview claiming the she could control her husband, Michelle Obama answered that her and Barack's relationship just didn't work that way. Michelle said that neither one of them has ever thought about "having control" over the other spouse. Michelle said our relationship is not based on anything like that.
    Michelle Obama for First Lady. I want this woman to be the face of America!
    Instead of being ridiculed, the world will see that we are a country of strong men and women, young and old, black, white, Latino and everything else all mixed up together.
    I want my daughters to look up to Michelle Obama, not Hillary who has allowed her husband to treat her like a doormat for the better part of 35 years.

February 4, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  18. Harriet

Why is this news?

And why is this a qualification for President? I don't mind when people cry. I mind when it's part of an overall strategy of manipulation. If she doesn't cry at funerals, and she didn't cry about Bill in public, and she's not crying over all the military troops who are dying or maimed, then she is only crying because her nomination isn't a slam dunk.

And I for one and a bit tired of all her drama. I remember the 1990's – and not fondly.

February 4, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  19. Carol

CNN isn't bias. All these complaints about not being posted or in moderation forever happens to both supporters and nonsupporters of Hillary.

I've had posts not show up or remain in moderation forever also, and I'm pro Obama.

Get over it!

February 4, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  20. Andrew F.

The lack of intelligence you people show who attack Hillary for some crying episode is just ridiculous. It could be perfectly appropriate for her in that situation. She did go to Yale and going back to an Alma Mater can be an emotional time.

Also, before you go attacking people look at yourself. Are you that flawless?

February 4, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  21. Lilly

Come on people! Stop making this something that Clinton is trying to do to win herself votes. That is ridiculous. She is being herself. She knows full well that crying will not somehow magically win her votes. I do not even think it crosses her mind. Have some sense and stop convincing yourself that she is making "women look weak" or that she is trying to earn the "sympathy vote". How absurd. Grow up.

February 4, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  22. Tommy2

Show me a person that never tears up every now and then, and I'll show you a person that should be put in a park for the pigions to show their
    feelings for. Also THE BOTTOM LINE IS– When I have health care and you do not, then I help pay your' bill when you have a major health problem.

February 4, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  23. Tony

None of us can know what is behind this 'emotional moment ' or whether it was genuine or calculated. But here's my view: the fact that we can't TRUST that it was genuine is reason enough to believe that Hillary is not our best candidate to become president.

Her husband went out of his way to lie to the American people on national television when he was president. George W. Bush is Bill Clinton's legacy. Had Bill not lied and been impeached by the House of Representatives, Al Gore would have become president, not George Bush.

THAT'S what brings tears to my eyes......

February 4, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  24. JohnS

CRY babes!!! Wow!!! CRY baby for President. Wait until the Republicans and CNN begin to open their direct and indirect attacks on the Clintons again. Some of us hope that the supporters of Hillary are getting ready to shed more tears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  25. Open your eyes - FL

Sorry, but the Clinton campaign has been far too calculating and manipulative thus far to be perceived as real. These are two career politicians that will stop at nothing to get back into the highest office in the world. Sadly a lot of people in this country are foolish enough to give it back to them. Bill's significant achievement was NAFTA... which can hardly be called an achievement. The large portion of his success was due to his timing in office.

Just because they say they are for the people... does not make them for the people. What, of any significance, has either of them truly done to help the breadth of people in this country or elsewhere in this world?

They're not going to stop being hated. HillaryCare will never make it thru. Why not vote for a candidate devoted to uniting the country and the world and working on issues to help everyone! Not designed to mandate healthcare... that is essentially Hillary's ONLY claim to fame at this point and it has been nothing but a disaster.

Really pulling for Barack to make these two finally go away.

February 4, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |