February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Ray-Give it a rest

Ray, do you ever work. In every ticker you have somthing to say about the Clintons. I made a post here because I know you will posted somthing soon. I know you support the Clintons but I hope your able to pay your bills with all the time you spend on CNN. Speaking of bills, I guess I will have a new one taken out of my paycheck. Mandated healthcare. Some people in the country like to be left alone.

February 4, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  2. Susan

Now this is funny. Why is she crying. There is no need for this. You are running for the President of the United States. We do not need cry babies.

February 4, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  3. CHERYL

HILLARY FOR WOMEN! SHOW THEM YOU CAN CRY CRY CRY AND BE PRESIDENT!

February 4, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  4. Leah DiMarco, TX

The 'emotion' card won't play this time!

Obama '08

February 4, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. Karen from Minnesota

So Hillary tears up and it 's big news. Plaxico Burress teared up after the Superbowl win and it's not big news. I say it's ok for both of them to get teary-eyed. After all, they both were overwhelmed by a positive event. Most of what we hear now re Hillary is so negative. Everything Obama does is viewed positively by the media...what gives?

February 4, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  6. Adarrah for Obama

Here's what Clinton said in last week's California debate:

Well, I would go back 35 years, Wolf, because when I first got out of law school, I didn't want to go to work for a law firm. I wanted to go to work for the Children's Defense Fund and to work on behalf of - (applause) - abused and neglected kids and kids with disabilities and kids who didn't have education or health care.
    And I really spent a great deal of my early adulthood, you know, bringing people together to help solve the problems of those who were without a voice and were certainly powerless. I was honored to be appointed by President Carter to the Legal Services Corporation, which I chaired, and we grew that corporation from 100 million to 300 million. It is the primary vehicle by which people are given access to our courts when they have civil problems that need to be taken care of.

And here's what she didn't say:

Clinton worked at the Children's Defense Fund for less than a year, and that's the only full-time job in the nonprofit sector she's ever had. She also worked briefly as a law professor.
    Clinton spent the bulk of her career - 15 of those 35 years - at one of Arkansas' most prestigious corporate law firms, where she represented big companies and served on corporate boards like Wal-Mart.

Neither she nor her surrogates, however, ever mention that on the campaign trail. Her campaign Web site biography devotes six paragraphs to her pro bono legal work for the poor but sums up the bulk of her experience in one sentence: "She also continued her legal career as a partner in a law firm."

February 4, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  7. EE

Whys is Sen Clinton doing this? I hate this.

February 4, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  8. Carib-girl

Hillary R. Clinton is just a fake, every time the polls says that Obama is closing in she begins to get very emotional and shed her fake crocodile tears just like she did right before New Hampshire primary. People needs to wake up and smell the coffee. There's something stinks around here. This teary eye moment is also calculated.

Go OBAMA. Yes we can!

February 4, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  9. Heather

Oh no she didn't. I'm kidding. Anyone who is a champion for our children gets a hug from me.

BUT I'M STILL VOTING OBAMA. LOL. Georgians for Obama. Yeah!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  10. Mati

Media, stop insinuating what it didn't happen. What kind of people are you? What do you have with this woman? It is totally unfair. Being emotional has nothing to do with 'teary moment'. This campaign will remain in history as an example of media's unprofessionalism.

Hillary'08!!

February 4, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  11. Colin

This is an utter load of crap, If your'e going to cry every time you face adversity you do not deserve to be President!! She used this tactic once in new hampshire and now she is using it again.

February 4, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. Ryan

Give me a break!!!

February 4, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  13. Jeff Breedlove

I read an internet article early this morning taking bets on when, before Super Tuesday", would Hillary tear-up and become one of the common people again. Well, guess what, right on cue, her it came at Yale University. If this is not a clear sign that she will do anything to garner a vote, then what is? She should collar Bill, dry her eyes, and go about the business of what her stands are on the issues. She got so much coverage out of the first "cry" that I guess she figured she would go for it again. Too bad, I was not going to vote for her before the first time but at least I had some respect for her platform.

February 4, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  14. Anonymous

try again hillary.

February 4, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  15. Chad

You have got to be kidding. Clinton is a joke.

February 4, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  16. SAMO

Don't worry Hillary. Remember, the national media tried to bury you in NH and they failed. By Tuesday night, they would learn another lesson – that people are not as stupid as the media think.
    We, the people, remember all the good deeds you have done all your life. Good people don't forget these things.
    Hang in there Hillary. The truth is on your side.

February 4, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  17. Jessica NJ

And the Oscar goes to..............HIllary Clinton! Hillary please spare us the "I am about to lose" theatrics. It will not work for you this time. I really was going to vote for Hillary but this little BS act made me lose respect for her totally!

Obama you now have my vote!

February 4, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  18. barry

She must be desperate, like crying to get out of a speeding ticket, only this time to prevent losing...how pathetic.

February 4, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  19. gaithers

Oh no – not again! It won't work this time!!

February 4, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  20. Jason, Atlanta

This women is so full of IT! I guess she thinks we voters are so stupid that we will fell sympathetic and vote for her. Perhaps she didn't get the memo, we are electing a PRESIDENT and not a VICTIAM!

February 4, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  21. Xavier

She has a heart. She is real. Hillary has my vote and support.

February 4, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  22. Scott, Royal Oak, MI

Alright, I do think it would be hard to completely fake crying. Still, this is the second time this has happened right on the eve of a vital campaign day...

February 4, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  23. Usman

Yet again she is shown to be down in the polls, and yet again the tears start flowing.

It's a shame that she has to resort to this strategy to win.

February 4, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  24. Ray

So CNN finally puts something up about Hillary and its this. Obama Cult members are going to JUMP all over this.

She does get emotional people..Get over it.

Hillary 08

February 4, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  25. lu

perhaps hillary is getting "teary-eyed" because she knows Obama is breathing down her neck...and her nomination is NOT a sure thing..or perhaps this is the new strategy...after all, she has tons of experience is holding back the emotions so why not is she having problems doing so? Seems to me..same ole, same ole...we are being played by the Clintons

February 4, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |