February 4th, 2008

Clinton holds emotional meeting at Yale

CNN

Watch Clinton get emotional at a campaign stop.

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday - a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know - you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Though it is difficult to see her reaction in footage of the event (see her reaction by clicking the play button on the right), Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, according to CNN producer Sasha Johnson. When it was the senator's turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producers Alexander Mooney and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,203 Responses)
  1. Alison

Hillary 2008!!! You are human just like the rest of us. Even Bush gets choked up ... and no one judges him for it.

February 4, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  2. j williamson

Good Lord, are you media folks going to make it front page news every time Hillary tears-up? It seems human to me – and sexist from your end of things.

February 4, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  3. Bein Careful

Everybody already knows this vile woman can cry on cue. Tell us something about her propensity for lying when necessary. She loses NH without her little crying episode and now she is trying again because she is behind again. She will never win. Her and her husband need to exit stage door left.

February 4, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  4. Samantha Lura

This is honestly very, very pathetic. We can't afford to have a president who cries everytime she feels the emotion. Seriously, how will it look if she starts crying at the G8 Summit??!!??

Hilary, you're only undermining your power and losing credibilty among the American voters. The presidency requires a certain level of stolidness.

Obama '08

February 4, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  5. basil

I'm sad to say that I am convinced that Hillary is calculating and dishonest.

The odds of her tearing up on the eve of a vote twice in less than a month must be 1000 to 1!

I would go so far as to say her visit to Yale was a part of an overriding strategy to cry and ride the backs of gullible women to victory on super Tuesday.

Even more sad, is that many many people will take her lies at face value.

February 4, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  6. Ayo

Why is Hillary pandering to the women alone? What about men? Are we not human being? In fact, I'll never vote for her ...for discriminating against men

February 4, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  7. Bethany, St. Louis MO

Hillary makes me sick.

Anyone fooled by this fake display of emotion should be ashamed!

Ugh.

February 4, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. Debra

She seems to cry often now. Is this what we can expect as a nation when times get tough? I'd be happy to vote for a strong women I can trust but Hillary is not that person.

February 4, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. Richard Tabuteau

Here we go again. This is getting ridiculous. 1. She's faking it (again) or 2. If she can't handle a grueling campaign, how will she handle the role of a President which is far more grueling.

February 4, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  10. Steve,

HA HA HA

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

11. Rachael

Do we get trite reports every time a male politician gets a little misty-eyed? I sure hope so- God knows it makes for INCREDIBLY compelling news!

12. Roman, Philadelphia

You have got to be kidding me.

13. kay

its all a lie, cuz it worked before she had to do it again, all this politican doin whatever it takes to win.... vote OBAMA.... this woman is making it up

14. judy

Oh please! Do you think anyone is going to fall for this act again? It was phony the first time and it's phony this time. Give it up Hillary.

15. Alejandro

It worked the first time, so why not try it again? She deserves an Oscar for her performances and she is bigger celebrity candidate than I previously thought.

16. steve

That's funny...Obama is catching up in the polls and she pulls the crying card again. Amazing that American's are not onto her act by now.

17. Ken

How can anyone think these moments are not calculated? Last time she cried just in time fo rthe New Hampshire primary and she is doing the same thing just in time for "Super Tuesday". Please everyone wake up and vote for anyone but Hillary.

18. OH Chris

Just what we need. An over-emotional president that starts crying at treaty talks, peace negotiations and the like. Maybe she'll cry Osama out of hiding or have a group hug with the Israeli's and Palestenians. Give me a break, I hope no one is buying this schtick. Not exactly a pillar of strength.

19. Tikifire

Oh not this again... sheesh

20. Brad

Really? Again? Tearing up?

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, ........we won't get fooled again!

21. rob

OMG – give it a break! Is any one honestly buying this horse manure from the do-anything, say-anything candidate?

22. concerned

hold on, we love you!

23. Former Clinton Family Supporter, Saint Paul MN

As much as I would love to believe this is a true and genuine display of emotion, I cannot believe that.

I mean, come on.... can anyone recall a time EVER that Hillary has cried publicly besides the day before a major election?

Seriously, EVER?

Senator Clinton, in your "35 years of experience", I find it hard too politically calculating that the ONLY times you have EVER publicly showed your "deeply emotional care for America" have been the day before major elections.

I apologize, in advance, if I've offended any Hillary supporters.... but this is REALLY LOW on Hillary's part, if she's faking it....

February 4, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  24. Davis, NJ

AGAIN .... ? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? So is this the strategy now? You CRY your way to the top?

February 4, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  25. David

wahhhhhhh let me be president wahhhhhhh

February 4, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |