February 4th, 2008

Richardson: No endorsement yet

CNN

Watch Bill Richardson on CNN's American Morning Monday.

(CNN) - He and Bill Clinton spent Sunday night together watching the Super Bowl, but New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson said Monday he's not ready to make an endorsement in the presidential race.

"I have extremely high regard for both candidates," Richardson said on CNN's American Morning. "Last night, President Clinton and I got together to watch the Super Bowl here in New Mexico. We're two friends getting together, we enjoyed the game.

"I'm trying to decide, I have, as I said, enormous respect for both candidates," Richardson continued. "I know Sen. Clinton well. I've gotten to know Sen. Obama well. But I never felt that the endorsement of one politician towards the other makes much difference, it's how they connect with voters."

But the former presidential candidate left the door open for a possible endorsement soon, saying he was going to "focus on this in the next few days."

"I am now a free man, I can do whatever I want. I am not trying to be coy. I just want to focus on who's best for this country, who's best for America," he said.

Richardson also commented on his new appearance since exiting the campaign trail nearly a month ago.

"Since I got out of the race I've been decompressing by being a governor and growing this beard," he said. "I know it doesn't look so good, but maybe it will get better."

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. yns

I Support Hillary! I hope others do, too! She is the only candidate with ANY substance to her speaches. I am NOT looking to be inspired – I am looking for someone who has some solutions, who wants to be proactive and wants to take care of the people in our country! Hillary is the only one I have heard this message from. She has plans – DETAILED PLANS! Her personal life is her personal life and should not be factored into any decision into whether or not she is the most qualified for the job!

In the end, I do hope people can think for themselves and make a decision without the influence of the newspapers, magazines, television, and "star" endorsers.

February 4, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  2. David

John Q, I think you're afraid of Hillary's authority. Grow a backbone and be willing to take leap of faith that someone with a name other than "clinton" can run the country.

February 4, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  3. maxm McGloin

Bill

I really hope Obama wins and picks you as his running mate! I think you two would be a great team. Now that is a dream ticket.

Max

February 4, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  4. shelley

What do we know about Hillary? We know that she is experienced in Foreign Policy and has been to geopolitical summits all over the world. We also know that she is an experienced politician who has successfully maneuvered through the political minefields of Washington. But do you know that she has fought for children's and women's welfare for many years (even before it was politically correct). In addition, she began the universal healthcare movement over ten years ago before it was on anyone's radar. She has always fought for the welfare of others both here and abroad.
    Compare that with what we know about Barack? We know that he is a junior senator of 4 years...and that's about all. We don't know enough about his past because he is not forthcoming. It makes one wonder what he has to hide. I see many young women infatuated with him to the point of pressuring their parents to vote for him, i.e. Maria Shriver. I see many people mesmerized by his rhetoric and being led astray. As one night time commentator put it, "He is an empty vessel".
    We as Americans need to take a clear look at our candidates for the Democratic party and make decisions based on what we know not what we are sold.

February 4, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  5. Anonymous

I HOPE YOU PICK HILLARY! EVERYONE KNOWS SHE'S THE BEST CHOICE! GO HILLARY!

February 4, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  6. Hillary Supporter!

I HOPE YOU PICK HILLARY! EVERYONE KNOWS SHE'S THE BEST CHOICE! GO HILLARY!

February 4, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  7. Thomas

I think he'll endorse Hillary because he ran on the same principle as Hillary: real results trump empty rhetoric.

February 4, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  8. Jose Card - Independent

35 years of bad experience is much worse than no experience.
    Governor Richardson, don't fall for V.P. for Hillary!
    Just ask Al Gore!
    But she won't have a chance after the soap opera the Clintons put us all to shame.

Obama/Richardson!

February 4, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  9. Erica

The fact that he has not already endorsed Hillary is telling....afterall he knows her. He was in the Clinton Administration. Could it be he doesn't like what he saw in her then, and thinks she is not right for the Democrat nomination? Ask yourselves, where are all the endorsements for Hillary from the Democrat establishement? Where are all the endorsements for Hillary from former Clinton Administration officials? Think people, THINK!

February 4, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  10. Alecki

Please vote for experience.

CNN, stop your "not support Hillary" campaign

February 4, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  11. Kathy

The beard looks great! Now endorse Obama! :)

February 4, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  12. ks

He's just waiting to see who got the hispanic vote.

February 4, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  13. Mary Fulcher

Hillary Clinton–Is the real deal for President in 08.

February 4, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  14. Peggy from Indiana

Did anyone notice Bill Richardson's facial expressions and body language while Bill Clinton entertained media on yesterday? And was it merely coincidence that media happened to be present at the lodge where Mr. Clinton and Mr. Richardson were watching the Super Bowl? Bill Richardson was obviously uncomfortable with the whole set-up and appeared to just "go along" because Bill Clinton requested he do so. Perhaps Bill Clinton was capitalizing on some of those "bipartisan favors" owed him from Bill Richardson. Things that make you go "hmmm".

February 5, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  15. MJoy

It is scary to see that Clair McCakill's son had to threaten his mother with his silence if she did not endorse Barack and Caroline admits not paying attention until her children pointed him out to her and we know that Ted was punishing Bill for not listening to him... mmm is this the way we are to decide our next president? I do not think so- Hillary Clinton is the best candidate -she is prepared, she is ready and she is the unifier -she repeatedly is asking the Democrates to remember who we are and we are one party and we want to regain the White House and make a difference. Do not be swayed by those who get the media atttention-Bobby Kennedy's family-Kathleen, Kerry and Robert Jr and Ceasar Chaez grandson are supporting Hillary Clinton -they work with her and know she is the one that is making a difference.

GO HILLARY -MADAME PRESIDENT and Bill Richardson and JohnEdwards please support Hillary Clinton for President and become part of the solution for our ONE AMERICA!!! Thanks! I thought both of you were great folks on the campaign trail!!!!

February 5, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  16. Michelle Matthews

Easy decision- Gov Richardson- go ahead and endorse Hillary. You know she is the only candidate to lead. She speaks to the people and listens to their voices . You are a proponent of experience and we all know that Hillary has the experience to put our country in the right direction. Hillary 08!

February 5, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  17. Mike Frazier

Veronica,

"I also believe that he will be able to handle foreign matters better than any other candidate because he has "life experience" dealing with foreigners as he is bascially one himself."

Your post is largely well-written (cynics might say "scripted"), but this is ridiculous.

Dr. Feelgood,

"Senator Clair McCaskill of Missouri has recently endorsed Obama. She was not going to endorse either candidate because he advisors helped her weigh the risks and rewards of siding with either powerful Clinton or charismatic Obama. So, she agreed to stay neutral. THEN, her 18 year old daughter who has a crush on Obama warned her mother that if she did not step up and endorse Obama, "I'm never talking to you again". I'm not making this up. Read the Feb 11 edition of Time magazine. Her daughter told Claire that she noticed how she teared up whenever she listened to Obama speak."

If Senator McCaskill lets her daughter push her around like this - and I'm guessing that she does, else why would her daughter think such a threat would be effective - then Missouri is in trouble. I'm glad I don't live there.

February 5, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  18. Jason

Going with Hillary
    Really aprreciate people seeing that Hillary will be the best bet....

Going to vote in an hour via e-mail...Finally.......

Hillary08.

February 5, 2008 03:15 am at 3:15 am |
  19. Hope LV,NV

I love the beard. Muy Caliente!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 5, 2008 05:12 am at 5:12 am |
  20. lou

There is only one clear change and hope for this country.
    Barack Obama Lets make history and change the world!

February 5, 2008 05:22 am at 5:22 am |
  21. Adam

Richardson's lack of endorsement say's volumes and if his endorsement mattered it would have mattered today in New Mexico.

I think Bill knows Richardson won't endorse hillary and sunday was all about making sure he didn't endorse obama. Richardson endorses obama yesterday = obama hispanic victory today and hillary would lose a weapon against obama that he can't unite hispanics which will play into a general election arguement for hillary if exit polls show that.

At the same time Obama can't be mad at Richardson for not endorsing simply because of his very close connections to Bill.

Richardson left the door open for a strong obama showing in New Mexico rather than endorsing Hillary and making sure it didn't happen. Obama knows that.

Sometimes the best move is to stand pat. Richardson being a wise negotiator recognized his best position one thats also best for his state as the candidates have to promise his citizens things that will get their vote.

Plus the longer he holds out the more national media coverage he gets and he doesn't have to offend either side while increasing his national profile. His ability to influence the hispanic community outside NM isn't tested and he moves closer and closer to being the media crowned prince of hispanics in america. Which would be a powerful position to inhabit over the next 20 years.

Villaragosa with his early endorsement should take notes on how the endorsement game is really played. He could have gotten major national media endorsing clinton this week along with a protracted run up to who he'ld endorse. Instead he's a footnote.

February 5, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |