February 4th, 2008

Romney predicts conservatives will stop McCain

Romney appeared on CNN's Late Edition Sunday.

Romney appeared on CNN's Late Edition Sunday.

(CNN) - Mitt Romney predicted Sunday his party's conservative base will rally behind him on Super Tuesday in order to prevent John McCain from winning the Republican nomination.

"What I have to do is continue to see what's been happening the last few days, specifically that is conservatives across the country are saying, 'whoa, we have to get behind Mitt Romney,'" he said on CNN's Late Edition.

"You've got people like Rush Limbaugh and Laura Ingraham and the list goes on and on and on - Hugh Hewitt, Lars Larson - conservative voices, both from radio and from publications, are saying, 'you know what, we've got to get behind Mitt Romney,'" he continued. "We really can't afford John McCain as the nominee of our party."

Following McCain's victory in Florida Tuesday, some prominent conservatives have expressed dismay with the prospect of the Arizona senator capturing the Republican nomination. On Wednesday, talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh said McCain's rise was the product of a 'fractured' conservative base and an "uninspiring" GOP presidential field.

"He is not the choice of conservatives, as opposed to the choice of the Republican establishment — and that distinction is key," Limbaugh said. "The Republican establishment, which has long sought to rid the party of conservative influence since Reagan, is feeling a victory today as well as our friends in the media."

Meanwhile, conservative commentator Ann Coulter said Thursday she would support Hillary Clinton over McCain.

"If you are looking at substance rather than if there is an R or a D after his name, manifestly, if he's our candidate, than Hillary is going to be our girl, because she's more conservative than he is," Coulter said. "I think she would be stronger on the war on terrorism."

But McCain also picked up support from some key conservatives this week, such as former Solicitor General Ted Olson and Georgia Sens. Johnny Isaacson and Saxby Chambliss, and on CBS Face the Nation Sunday the Arizona senator said, "I have a strong conservative record that I'm proud to run on."

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

- CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: John McCain • Mitt Romney
  1. Shane Cahill

Mildly interesting, not worth 2 spots on the ticker though!

February 4, 2008 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  2. J.K.

Does Huckabee even say anything negative about McCain anymore?

The saddest part of the Huckabee campaign right now is that it's so me, me, me, and ego. Romney is clearly the most conservative candidate when compared to John McCain. By effectively backing John McCain (no doubt, in hope of securing a job for himself) Huckabee has thrown his values to the wind.

February 4, 2008 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  3. COLLECTIVE WILL

McCain will run into a health problem sooner than later!!!

February 4, 2008 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  4. COLLECTIVE WILL

McCain's health is not getting any better

February 4, 2008 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  5. COLLECTIVE WILL

Romney is very COLD CALCULATING someone's worth and throw people out on the streets who dont fit in his business TAKEOVER PLAN!!!

February 4, 2008 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  6. VC

Mitt Romney is no conservative.

The only conservative left in the race is Ron Paul.

February 4, 2008 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  7. Uncle Sam

John McCain's broad-based appeal will serve to strengthen the two party system, not weaken it.

February 4, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  8. Kenny, VA

In McCain speeches you hear a lot about how proud he is of what he's done, but very little about what it is that he's actually done. You hear a lot of name dropping, but very little plan dropping. In the 4-against-1 race that has been the republican primary, it won't be enough to let Romney get past McCain, but at some point it seems like people would begin to understand just how useless career politicians really are.

February 4, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  9. Gene, Houston, TX

I don't see where McCain has any conservative credentials!! He's been one of the most liberal Republican senators for far too many decades.

February 4, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  10. Marty G.

"You've got people like Rush Limbaugh and Laura Ingraham and the list goes on and on and on" Since my company "Bain Capitol is buying Clear Channel Communications, all those talk radio folks know that I have the power to deny access to them from the largest radio network in the United States."

February 4, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  11. mb

If Mitt Romney had a nickel for every time he changed positions on an issue, he would be a rich man.
    Honor, Truth, Duty- This is John McCain.

February 4, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  12. Doria

I totally agree with Governor Romney. He is the candidate to vote for. I wil vote for Governor Romney in the Texas primary. I will not vote for Mr. McCain if he becomes the candidate in the general election. I will have to sit-out until 2012.

February 4, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  13. Dave

If McCain had won Maine, the media would have called it a devastating blow. Romney's win puts him within 6 delegates.

Tomorrow will be exciting. Best wishes to all the candidates.

February 4, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  14. RonPaulSupporter

Ron paul is the true honorable candidate in this race. all americans who will vote for ron paul will have a special place in my heart

February 4, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  15. Tom (TN)

Save the receipt for your crystal ball, Mitt.

February 4, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  16. Nelson, Colorado Springs Co

Mr Romney you are looking good and they talk about Sen Edward $400 hair cut. Man you are sharp. Now go get them

February 4, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  17. Victor, AZ

I'd say Hugstabee needs to quit smoking, he said that he was only a few delegates away from Romney, he must be smoking too much with Chuck Norris! Romney has more than doulbe of delegates than he does.

February 4, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  18. Darko - New Orleans, LA

Mccain is leading Romney 97-92. I would not have known this by how the media is portraying the story. All I hear is about is Mccain's 'sizeable' lead or his huge momentum over Romney. What a crock. Mitt is getting my vote. I just hope other conservative voters don't split with Huck.

Ron Paul wouldn't make a good president in my opinion. However, the winner would be wise to put him in his cabinet. The man is smart despite his quirkiness.

February 4, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  19. Chris

Romney is only doing as well as he is because of the millions he has spent.

February 4, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  20. Steve, Chicago, IL

I will never support John McCain.

Romney has his flaws, but I will take my chances with him.

February 4, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  21. Kristy Sanborn, Buckhorn, Mo.

I'm not sure about the look on Romney's face in this picture, looks a doubtful as if he may not even believe his own story

February 4, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  22. WY

I think Rommney is the only Republican can face Demo gods. McCain is so old, he will not be able to stand against Clinton or Obama.

February 4, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  23. LJ

People! Take back the country from the msm. They don't decide these things. Everybody vote Romney! McCain needs to retire.

February 4, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  24. apollo

McLiar is showing his McNasty self for all to see .The female voters have a trust issue with McCheater leaving his crippled 1s wife for his ultra rich mistress . McLiberal will never be trusted by the GOP base . America voted against McAmnesty last summer . McLiar thinks America is stupid .

February 4, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  25. Jim, Burlington

Mitt is yesterdays news, McCain will be the Republican nominee, even with Rush and all the other pontificting windbags out there trying to defame a vet.

It's all over except for the paying off of the debt Mitt has run up, oh yeah, he's rich he can afford the financial hit.

February 4, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |