February 4th, 2008

Super Tuesday showdown

(CNN)—A record 23 states will hold primaries and caucuses on Super Tuesday. Long lines, unprecedented numbers of absentee ballots, and record turnouts are likely to play a big role in determining when results are projected.

Georgia’s primary is expected to be the first definitive Super Tuesday outcome – the state’s results may be available in the 7 p.m. hour, shortly after polls close there. The outcomes of Massachusetts, New Jersey, Delaware and Connecticut will likely be projected in the 8 p.m. hour, followed by New York sometime after 9 p.m. ET.

California’s polls are the last to close Tuesday - at 8 p.m. PT, 11 p.m. ET - but the results might not be clear for hours. With an expected 1 to 2 million absentee ballots, along with the nation’s largest number of registered voters, the results may not be known until Wednesday morning.

Watch CNN Super Tuesday for the latest developments in key races.

Get breaking news Super Tuesday results via email. Sign up here

–CNN's Emily Sherman

1. Here in Britain

The coverage of the election by certain US media channels (CNN, Fox, MSNBC) has been nothing short of a disgrace. They consistently favour one candidate over another – no wonder the polls are as close as they are.

The sad thing is that if Hillary Clinton were a man she would have kicked Obama's butt into touch a long time ago – unfortunately the misogynistic press have their own agenda and that means that Obama gets away scot-free whilst Clinton receives criticism.

Obama increasingly reminds me of a politician from these shores- Tony Blair. Obama seems to offer some of the vague hope and generalised dreams that Blair threw around in '97 and for years after...it 'sounds' good, 'looks' good...but the reality and delivery is somewhat harder to swallow.

February 5, 2008 06:39 am at 6:39 am |
  2. leryeh

Chosing a leader is not a function of colour, sympathy or emotion. It is not judging by the colour of skin but by the content of character, not by promises but achievements, not by the gospel of 'I will' but the testimony of 'I have', not by staying diplomatic but being emphatic about issues because a leader is not confronted with emotions but taking of decision which has both a restricted and wider security sense. I'll advice we vote our future wisely. 4 years is not a day but a count of days.

February 5, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  3. Dem Ohio

Bill from Illinois. I love your post.

February 5, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  4. Manmohan Singh

Correction -Hillary appeared at Letterman's show on Monday as you correctly write but the displayed picture says Tuesday.

I hope Hillary is the nominee and becomes the next president. Obama is in the amking and is not yet ready.

February 5, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  5. Kim

Vote for Edwards, the People's President. Don't Let The MEDIA choose.

February 5, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  6. observer#1

I heard the Obama campaign has prisoners writting messages on this board day and night, any truth to it? After the nasty calls coming from his campaign, I would not doubt it at all! Vote Hillary!

February 5, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  7. David

Being a guy who goes to church and works full time (not for the government) and requires anyone I vote for to have at least one KNOWN accomplishment.....

Well – that last requirement eliminates Hillary and Obama obviously.....

Guess I'll have to vote Romney. McCain is a maverick (which means unpredicatable) so voting for him is a huge unknown by definition. He has been a tad liberal on taxes and immigration – neither of which does any one PAYING this tax bill (like me) much good.

If I quit going to church and quit my job....I guess Obama would be best – because the liberal social policies would help me get into the pockets of those still working. Unless I got married and had kids....then I'd pull a Madona – who said – "I want to protect my daughter from people like me." In that case – back to republican again....

February 5, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  8. Erik

Ron paul is the only logical choice but since i know he has no chance I won't even bother.

And since im already leaving a comment

The "Republican Hispanic Woman" towards the top: Can anyone say part of the Hillary campaign?

Oh

and can someone explain to me how She's going to solve poverty all across America?

Dems are too niave for me

I'd like a peaceful, happy world too but when are they going to understand wishing and achieving are two seperate things?

February 5, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |