February 4th, 2008

Superstitious McCain won't speculate on the future

McCain campaigned in New Jersey Tuesday.
McCain campaigned in New Jersey Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - John McCain, known for his superstitious tendencies on the campaign trail, joked Monday with reporters he's not ready to discuss what he'll do if he wins his party's nomination.

“I am superstitious, as I said earlier, and for me to start talking about what would happen after I win the nomination, when I have not won it yet, is in direct violation of my superstitious tenets,” the Arizona senator said to laughter at a campaign event in Hamilton, New Jersey.

McCain has long been known for his superstitious behavior: on the night of the New Hampshire primary, he stayed in the same hotel room as he did in 2000 – the year he overwhelmingly beat then-Texas Gov. George W. Bush there.

Among Republicans nationwide, McCain is currently 15 points ahead of his nearest competitor, Mitt Romney, according to the latest CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll, conducted February 1-3.

New Jersey is one of 21 states holding Republican primaries or caucuses Tuesday.

– CNN's Jeff Simon

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Jack Jodell, MN

Much too old and far too Old Guard for me. The guy is stale at a time the country is crying out for freshness!

February 5, 2008 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  2. WMW

We don't have a future if we are in wars for the next 100 years!

February 5, 2008 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  3. John

Oh great .... superstitious as well.

February 5, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  4. Matthew

Sorry, 123. We are not all a 'little superstitious', some people don't look at superstition as a sign of maturity and intelligence.

February 5, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  5. ne,pa

We can add superstitious to angry, warmongering, senile, panderer, self righteous, and we can't forget POW, the card that keeps giving.

February 5, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  6. ABB

Brent: I don't think many Dems are nervous about the possibility of McCain in the White House....it's not going to happen!
    If this is your "1st string", that's good news....the Dems will certainly take back the White House, and start the long process of cleaning up after the Repub administration's multitude of disasters.....(McCain and Condi..whooooo! that's rich!!!)

February 5, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  7. sly

Hey CNN, did you ever think that maybe he stayed in that same hotel room because of the great sevice? You know, something we don't see much of around here..

February 5, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  8. Jacob, Phoenix AZ

McCain is as arrogant as they come. He'd ignore the people just like Bush has for the past 8 years. He'd be accountable to no one, in his line of thinking. I worry about America's image in the world given McCain becomes the Republican nominee. We sure wouldn't be making friends.

February 5, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  9. Bob

Thank goodness we have CNN to cover him not speculating and remind us that he and Romney, not any of those other guys who might show up on our ballots, are the ones we need concern ourselves with.

February 5, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  10. Uncle Sam

John McCain's honesty and candor remind me of that story told about President Harry Truman. When asked why it was that he gave people hell, he responded, "I just tell them the truth and they thinks it's hell. Give 'em hell, John.

February 5, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  11. julie

John McCain , I don't trust him, the last depate, I couln't stand is smirk smile when other s were talking, making the other look stupid, or tried! Yes I do respect want you went through at war. But I can't see you as the president of the United state, My son has been in Iraq three times, and its very hard to listen to someone like you saying, We are going to keep the young soldier at war until their is . "Victory" Please what victory? The death of are young sons and daughter, for innocent young children of Irag,what price is that? Their is no ending of a war that has been around for millions of years, who are we to change their way of life.
    We have so much to do here in this United State, But billions of dollars go to the of Irag War .That is soooo mess up. I would not vote for you, I would vote for new changes,a fresh president with a new great direction. You McCain, will take up where President Bush left off. What fresh start is that!!!

February 5, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  12. Doctor Phil

Is John McCain really superstitious, or will do anything to get a little more newspaper ink? Even if it's all a bit silly?

How's this for silly: I'm spooked that the writer of this article has a four-letter first name that starts with J, just like John, and a two-syllable last name, just like McCain. For that matter, the last time we had a president with a three-syllable last name was Kennedy. And Obama has three syllables. Coincidence?

February 5, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |