February 4th, 2008

Superstitious McCain won't speculate on the future

McCain campaigned in New Jersey Tuesday.
McCain campaigned in New Jersey Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - John McCain, known for his superstitious tendencies on the campaign trail, joked Monday with reporters he's not ready to discuss what he'll do if he wins his party's nomination.

“I am superstitious, as I said earlier, and for me to start talking about what would happen after I win the nomination, when I have not won it yet, is in direct violation of my superstitious tenets,” the Arizona senator said to laughter at a campaign event in Hamilton, New Jersey.

McCain has long been known for his superstitious behavior: on the night of the New Hampshire primary, he stayed in the same hotel room as he did in 2000 – the year he overwhelmingly beat then-Texas Gov. George W. Bush there.

Among Republicans nationwide, McCain is currently 15 points ahead of his nearest competitor, Mitt Romney, according to the latest CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll, conducted February 1-3.

New Jersey is one of 21 states holding Republican primaries or caucuses Tuesday.

– CNN's Jeff Simon

Filed under: John McCain
  1. AJ, IL

McCain knows he feels very confident with all the endorsements and primary wins he has achieved up to this point. The only thing that would make him feel better is a dominant win by Hillary in the Super Tuesday states. He knows he would get more evangelical and social conservatives from the Republican party (the Anti-Hillary Vote) to back him.

Obama in '08!

February 4, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  2. andy

He's superstitious? That's funny. Perhaps he had a rabbit's foot in his pocket during his role in the Keating Five/Savings and Loan scandal and it worked for him. From then on, he was a believer! ;-)

February 4, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  3. Luis

Oh great! Superstitious....real confidence booster there John. Here is a sure fire way to win the nomination....don't change your underwear until it is official....it's a lock.....really

February 4, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  4. Darth Vadik, CA

Here's the future McCain:

A deserved retirement.

February 4, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  5. Christian, Tampa FL

I'm not sure I want a superstitious President. Faithful, sure, but not superstitious.

Old, fiery temper, Republican, superstitious. If McCain faces Obama – young, charismatic, intelligent, inspiring – he's toast.

February 4, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  6. Farrell, Houston, Tx

At 71 years old one can't tell you what they will do from day to day. He's too old.

February 4, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  7. Russell Fox

the only good about McCain if he get to the primaries they will eat him alive and spit him out.....Hes not the right man i would put Mitt over him any time along with edwards and huk,,,,,,,The media stuck with what they call the sure bet and neglected the otherss....Which in the long run hurt them...I think they were more qualified than the front runners....But no its no longer whose the best but whos going to create news, has the most money to advertise with ous and can help our industry........

February 4, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  8. Craig

McCain lives his life based on "Superstitious Tenets." Is this an issue for anyone else out there?

How can a person function as Commander in Chief when his life is based on following superstions?

When faced with critical decisions or when addressing the nation in times of crises, how will these superstitions affect his ability to act?

February 4, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  9. Jen

McCain's national poll numbers are actually dropping. I HOPE that the conservatives in the Republican party will get behind Mitt Romney tomorrow. McCain almost changed parties before– that's a more EXTREME 'flip-flop' than anything I've ever seen. He is not the best candidate to represent us and can not win against fellow liberals.

Mitt Romney is the most "new" candidate that has the most breadth of knowledge to go into Washington and revamp the economy, immigration etc. He is the only one with a CLEAN, moral history– not ethics violations, scandals– like Hucakbee and McCain. McCain showed us in Florida how dishonest he would be in order to win votes. He didn't think he could beat Romney honestly. That's what I call "buying" votes and dirty politics. He is UNFIT to be our leader.

VOTE ROMNEY!

February 4, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  10. David....Nevada

all those voting tomorrow... Johnny mc's gonna flood your neighborhood with illegals and get his war mongering thrown back in his face come november.
    romney for responsible economics and immigration.

February 4, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  11. apollo

If McCain had won Maine, the media would have called it a devastating blow. Romney's win puts him within 6 delegates.

Tomorrow will be exciting. Best wishes to all the candidates.

February 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  12. Joe Black

I love John McCain, don't get me wrong.

But I wonder if he plans on keeping a lucky rabbit's foot on the nuclear "football" once he is President.

February 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  13. m&m

I heard "Talk radio" is trashing Senator John McCain because Mitt Romney has ties to the radio station they are talking on. This is so unfair that because you have money you are able to buy the White House!!!!!! I thought it was the people how picked the next President not Talk Radio!

February 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  14. Mrs. America

I dread thinking of McCain in the Oval Office–gov't run by superstitions after eight years of gov't run by God's whisperings. Either Hillary or Barack is fine with me. Go, Dems!

February 4, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  15. Craig

Don't worry Craig. He will put on his lucky green sweater before he pushes the nuke button.

February 4, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  16. john s

Well, Craig. We have a Commander in Chief who thinks he was appointed by god. How does the superstition of religion differ from McCain's superstitions? Ronald Reagan followed the stars for guidance. He was also very superstitious. It seems the Republicans can't trust themselves for guidance, it has to come from somewhere on high.

February 4, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  17. Barbara

Guess that Cindy McCain must be his lucky rabbit's foot.....he is never seen without her. Too,tooo weird.

February 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  18. Bob,.Roxboro, NC

I write in hopes that CNN and it's moderators won't again censor me.

I agree with Craig, I don't think the leader of the free world should be superstitious. But, he might have simply using a figure of speech to avoid making any predictions.

February 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  19. NC Mom

m&m,

Who told you Mitt Romney has ties to talk radio? Are you just making this stuff up? What is hard for many to understand is that the talk radio hosts, such as Laura, Rush, Sean, and Lars know a lot more about the GOP candidates than you think. Huckabee and McCain both have ethics violations in their past AND non-conservative records. Huckabee's is better than McCain's, but that's not saying a whole lot. Romney is by far the best choice.......not perfect, but has a good moral background and the intelligence and turnaround this country desperately needs.

February 4, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  20. Eric in SLC

Fair to criticize, but he's using superstition for humor, and there's no indication that it affects decisions bigger than choice of hotel room or meal or sweater.

McCain's views on the environment and scientific research show that he does evaluate new evidence and decide policy positions based on reason.

At least he will tell us truths and opinions we don't want to hear. I'm not sure Romney is capable of as much candor. Fortunately, general election independents would ensure that we don't have to worry about President Romney. Not that McCain has much better chance against Obama, especially if the Coulter effect pans out.

February 4, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  21. Lev Klinemann, CA

For McCain

In the future...I see...I see...

...a pair of slippers and a seat on the porch. McCain raising his fists, yelling at the kids in the neighborhood "get off my lawn"....

February 4, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  22. Brent

Most of these posts must be from Dems with a load in their trousers over the prospect of facing McCain in November. The seriousness with which they take this bit about McCain being supersticious is laughable. Face it Dems, you're going to have to play against the first string. How about a McCain/Rice ticket?

February 4, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  23. W.S.S. Nampa Idaho

I am a conservative republican. If McCain gets the nomination I have a problem, will I vote for a liberal or at best a moderate who says he is a conservative, (that makes him dishonest) or will I vote for a democratic nomine who is honest and states where they really stand? I think I will hold my nose and vote for the honest democratic nomine (I might even vote for Hillary) who ever it is. Lets then hope that there are enough conservatives and “moral liberals” in the legislative branch to counteract them.

February 4, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  24. ANTI CLINTONS

m&m what is wrong with you! So a radio talk show says what he/she wants to. It doesn't mean Romney has ties to the show...where on earth did you hear or read this crap!

Go eat your m&m's and let the real people vote for the right leader of this country, not superstious insane McCain the libs best friend.

Romney!

February 4, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  25. pam Eugene OR

Oh my gosh...He really looks awful . He has lost a lot of weight and the campaign has really aged him.
    I like McCain but wow it has taken a toll. I will vote for him if my party give the nod to Clinton.

February 4, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |