February 4th, 2008

Superstitious McCain won't speculate on the future

McCain campaigned in New Jersey Tuesday.
McCain campaigned in New Jersey Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - John McCain, known for his superstitious tendencies on the campaign trail, joked Monday with reporters he's not ready to discuss what he'll do if he wins his party's nomination.

“I am superstitious, as I said earlier, and for me to start talking about what would happen after I win the nomination, when I have not won it yet, is in direct violation of my superstitious tenets,” the Arizona senator said to laughter at a campaign event in Hamilton, New Jersey.

McCain has long been known for his superstitious behavior: on the night of the New Hampshire primary, he stayed in the same hotel room as he did in 2000 – the year he overwhelmingly beat then-Texas Gov. George W. Bush there.

Among Republicans nationwide, McCain is currently 15 points ahead of his nearest competitor, Mitt Romney, according to the latest CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll, conducted February 1-3.

New Jersey is one of 21 states holding Republican primaries or caucuses Tuesday.

– CNN's Jeff Simon

Filed under: John McCain
  1. john s.

McCain is kind of wacky, so it doesn't surprise me at all that he's a superstitious looney. But if he's so superstitious, why doesn't he believe in self-fulfilling prophecies? And if he does, shouldn't he be worried about wishing harm on the USA by the "evil dooers" that W has extolled for the last 6 years?

February 4, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  2. BlackHouse

McCain is not superstitious. He is determined to win big, in Republican party. Then he will be able to be beaten up in real election by OB! This old person has bad temper, as showing in 2000 election. Could an old man learn some new trick? of course, let our OB teach him later on!

February 4, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  3. Chris, Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Man, they should have asked him in the debate... tea leaves or chicken bones?

February 4, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  4. Voo Doo McCain

McCain voted against a bill to say marriage is between one man and one woman.

Now McCain has this voodoo superstious stuff ????

He was declared mentally fit after imprisoment where he was tortured in the worst way,
    '
    Maybe he spent too much time alone.

February 4, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  5. whatsitToyou

I really don't want someone who is super supersticious in the White House..

February 4, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  6. Bill, Covington,LA

Whoop -de – do McCain stayed in the same room he where he was housed when he beat George Bush in 2000. Fact: I do not recall there ever being a President McCain in my lifetime, a span of 80 years. If he is the nominee I will practice apostasy and vote for the Democrats "bete noire"

February 4, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  7. Hillphil

Me too Bill.

February 4, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  8. ag

superstitious ?????

A true Christian is not superstitious. What's the deal with that ??

February 4, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  9. andi

Why is America seriously considering John McCain? You were fed two other candidates before him – Thompson and Guiliani. Remember not too long ago the media was telling you each one of them was the one to watch? Well, the media was actually wrong, but they had yet another Plant of a candidate in John McCain. And when they realized that the fish weren't biting in Iowa, suddenly all the attention shifted to John McCain. I was here in Iowa, I saw it all take fold. He wasn't anywhere in the polls, yet they just kept talking and talking and talking and talking about him, saying how he was coming up in the polls. Sure enough, as easy as selling a new product on TV, the media fed us a new candidate on TV to root for. And guess what – you bought it. Both decks have been stacked from the very beginning.

Time is running out to change course. Tomorrow is the day. The Revolution begins!

February 4, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  10. David, Oregon City

Thank you, conservative elite media commentators and talk show hosts for splitting the Republican vote by your continual slandering of Huckabee and Paul supporters. You didn’t get your guy so you trashed everybody else. The Republicans will not get those voters back in time for the primary election. Can you say G. Ford, B. Dole and H. Bush? Please be aware that you are not that smart. You just turned off the conservative base and their donations.

Thank you for putting a Democrat in the White House in 2009, or McCainnedy!

After the election Russ and Sean will say it was Huckabee that allowed the Democrats to win. CYA

February 4, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  11. abc123

Everyone is a little superstitious. But you Mitt crownies, follow the money trail, Bain Capital an Equity "buy businesses destroy it than sell it on the trade floor" company is afliated with clearchannel that has most of you ENTERTAMENT talk radio host on there payroll. Listen to what they say and when they say it. They're alway bashing the front runner and never giving you reason why to support Romney on policies that are not Reaganescdo you want MITT Care or are you for or against state funded abortion today. Hmmm, which way is the wind blowing. Get real people and get a brain.

February 4, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  12. Jim in the Boonies

If it ain't broke, don't fix it ! Good karma baby ! I'd stay in that room too !

February 4, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  13. Professor

Is it really too much to ask that anyone with a legitimate opinion use correct English? How do people expect anyone to give any credence to their opinions when they can't spell, punctuate, or type correctly? Seems like "No Child Left Behind" was a little too late for some generations...

February 4, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  14. Jim

What a non-story.. and look at all the lambs that are ready to follow..

The guy is human.. Kind of joking about his own personal superstitions.. Please..

Do you know that 93% of people are superstitious.. Ok.. Maybe not. I just made that number up.. But it's just part of the silliness of it all..

February 4, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  15. Stephen,Wilmington,NC

Get that rabbits foot out of your pocket John, Your not going to win !

February 4, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  16. Jim673

Hmmm....I'm an old fan of McMains. Good man. Honest. You can always tell where he stans. That why most of the base doesn't like him. He's honest and that just don't sit right with alot of you.Easy for me to say. I'm a democrate today. If Obama wins the nomination, me and most of my friends are going to soon be republicans. You'll love that. Not just us, there is a movement going on over this. The DNC put forward a candidate with no experience. A real Mommys Boy.Mc Cain sure is looking better and better. I think he just may be the next president. Like it or not.

February 4, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  17. Rosa

Oh wow....wonder what kind of decisions he'd make as president.. Mr Voo Doo Man!

February 4, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  18. sean

it's sad but every politico has to claim to be superstitious to get the bumpkin vote,
    a rabit's foot isn't any more silly than an invisible magic man in the sky?

February 4, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  19. Matt S

Based seemingly on everyone’s general opinion and comments posted on this thread about McCain, I thought I would throw in my thoughts as well. McCain is too old (at 71) to be superstitious, I agree with Farrell. I must also agree with Christian. Superstition and old age together makes a great target for Obama who is much younger and more stimulating to defeat, if they were to face off.

Does wisdom come with age, or is a more intelligent and fresh mind perhaps a younger one?

February 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  20. The Edge

Will Old John use a Ouija board to conduct foreign policy??? Just wondering??

February 4, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  21. Regnez

I hope he is only joking about him beeing superstitious!This is not fitting for a leader of this great nation.

February 5, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  22. Jim

Wow McCain already looks like he has aged 10 years in that picture.

February 5, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  23. Craig

Thanks for the comments and glad to see others share the same view.

I can understand many people being a little superstitious and expect that is quite common and probably not a big deal.

But McCain is supposedly very, very superstitious. I have read it many times already in how he makes decisions about his campaign. He apparently readily admits it as well, and that can't be a good thing when it comes to being an effective leader.

I can see how he could get by as a Senator where people's lives are not riding on his decisions, but Commander in Chief is a whole different situation altogether.

February 5, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  24. George Mayers

I do not wonder about the 'superstitious' comments but I do worry about the fact that he was a former POW. Does anyone ever fully recover psychologically from such an experience?

February 5, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  25. Lily

McCain is just toooooooooooooo old, PLUS superstitious.GO MITT!

February 5, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |