February 5th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a long night

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - These very long nights happen every few years. I remember staying up all night in November 2000, wondering out loud on television whether George W. Bush or Al Gore would be the next President. We anchored our coverage that night from the CNN Center in Atlanta. And the next day, I flew to Tallahassee to cover the Florida recount.

Four years later, it was an all-nighter as we watched the results come in, and wondered whether Bush or John Kerry would be the winner. Kerry conceded the next day. We anchored our coverage that night from the NASDAQ headquarters in New York. It was the first time we took advantage of those huge video walls which have since become a hallmark of our CNN coverage.

In 2006, we brought our new generation of video walls to the CNN studios at the Time Warner Center in New York. It was another long night as we saw the Democrats become the majority in both the House and Senate. We took our political coverage to a new level that night.

And now we get ready for what I suspect will be another long night of election coverage.

People are always asking me: How do you prepare for this? My answer is simple. I am always preparing - every single day. I do my homework. I have discovered over the years that if you know your stuff, you will be prepared.

But there is also the matter of preparing physically for what will be a very long night. People always ask me about that. Don’t you get tired? The answer is that I am too pumped up to get tired. Still, I work hard at being ready. The night before, I always get a good night’s sleep. I exercise in the morning. It’s always a great way to start the day. I ran five miles this morning – as I try to do every morning. I eat a healthy breakfast. And the rest falls into place.

- CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. wasim

Lets see,how many people in this country can understand the delegate and super-delegate difference and how it works,i am thinking even the candidates no idea about it! Wolf, you and your political team should explain this and educate us more please!
    Last night Obama 's speech,i saw many people tearing-up! One beautiful white girl was teared-up when Obama was talking about being volunteer in Chicago and helping kids with no guidelines! I became emotional too and i am hoping Obama will do what he is promising to do when he becomes the president,if he does not then American will never trust anyone talking about change.
    CNN is the best source of news where things are fair and balanced and that is why most of the world watches CNN. Larry,Wolf,Anderson,Johns King and Robert are the best! Most of us in America do not know much about the rest of the world,CNN can do a better job bringing more news and general knowledge about the world so we can learn more about the world. Thanks a lot!

February 6, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  2. GC

Wolf....If last night didn't show you and CNN, it definately showed America, that Hillary Clinton is who we want for President. While McCain lies and cheats his way to the Republican nomination, and Huckabee steals votes from the used car salesman, Romney, we are reminded of the past eight years under Republican rule. No holds barred from the Republicans. Destroy your opponent, regardless of truth.
    And no matter what anyone thinks, Senator Obama, whether knowingly or not, has helped show that Black Americans are definately more racist than any other Americans. Clinton and Obama literally split the white male vote, while Obama took 80%+ of the African American vote. If that isn't racism, I don't know what is.
    In my opinion, and after last night's results, the opinion of the MAJORITY of Americans. Hillary Clinton is the best possible person to lead our country out of doom. And I hope you and CNN will start reporting not distorting facts.

February 6, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  3. Mac Mac

Wolf keep up on pounding on Hillary
    GOP owes you a lot of gratitude.

Wolf and Obama the Best Ticket for GOP

February 6, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  4. George Centeno

Viva Hillary after eight years of bad advise,Rice,Rove,Powell etc.I will take PRESIDENT Bill Clintons advise to President Hillary any time.

February 6, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  5. BlackHouse

No justice no peace!
    We will not rest till we take the WhiteHouse!

February 6, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  6. BlackHouse

Thanks CNN for being on the people's side!

February 6, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  7. Danny

I have wondered this, asked but never been answered, why does the media want Obama to win? What has he done for them that Hillary hasn't? Is it just because he is black? Lets be honest when it comes to Men voting...men will stick with Gender first...White women seem to stick with race and back women stick with race. If all things were equal and it was two men a white and a black you would see the split basically down the middle! Is this right, maybe not, but is this a fact, yes it is. Who is best for the country, I guess it is through who's eyes you are looking.

February 6, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  8. fair

You can not say that BO is perfect. Only baby is perfect, since they never made any decision. Human learn from his/her mistakes. That is called experience. Some drug user learned to stay away from drugs, that is why they say they "experiementing drug".

I bid HC will learn from her own mistakes, too. So that she knows this time she will need to work with everyone. Do you allow you make mistake yourself? Why not others?

I didn't like HC defended BC back few years ago. But on the other hand, I admired her for she staying with BC. It would a very easy for she to walk away from that marriage. But she choosen to stay. Right now, we have a big question for every voters: Why are you voting? For yourself or for the country? If someone can imitate JFK, it is the time to remember what can you do for your country!

Anybody has dirt on himself. To be a leader, it is the view to the future, not look how many dirty cloth in the washing machine. Pity to many of those demo gods who jump for their own interest, or their party's interest, not for this great land.

February 6, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  9. designisverb

CNN.... you really really really disappointed me last night. Your projections were not properly justified. Your analysts were not balanced. The whole thing was all annoying graphics, well designed, by annoying ....sexist and racially dividing commentary.

I'm a political news junkie. But your tactics and sensational reporting only makes you look as bad as Fox News, and I'm a liberal. Liberal Media-schmedia!! I think you have really done it this time... You finally lost me as a viewer.

February 6, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  10. Roberta

Wolf: I love the situation room and your coverge of the elections is first rate. However, could you please inform your miriad of political experts that there is only one "n" in pundits. If I hear another one of them say "pundints" I am going to have to jump off a bridge!

February 6, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  11. BETTINA RIVER FOREST il

Obama won!
    Clinton has shrunk back to her base.
    With more time Obama will take that too

February 6, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  12. RFD

I would like to see an analysis comparing red and blue states in the last presidential election to the projected red and blue states this year. Along with that I'd like to see a comparison of those states to those each candidate seemed to "win" in the primary this year. Using those results, which candidate won the "right states" to win the election. For example, McCain won both New York and California in the primary but is unlikely to win those in the presidential election. Even though winning these states helps him get the nomination they will not help him in the general election. I think this analysis would be very helpful in picking the right candidate at the convention. What do you think?

rfd

February 6, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  13. Belinda

WOW!! Just got into running....I admire your 5 mile run!! No wonder you look so good ..... Bravo!! Hope CNN realises how valuable you are.

February 12, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |