February 5th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a long night

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - These very long nights happen every few years. I remember staying up all night in November 2000, wondering out loud on television whether George W. Bush or Al Gore would be the next President. We anchored our coverage that night from the CNN Center in Atlanta. And the next day, I flew to Tallahassee to cover the Florida recount.

Four years later, it was an all-nighter as we watched the results come in, and wondered whether Bush or John Kerry would be the winner. Kerry conceded the next day. We anchored our coverage that night from the NASDAQ headquarters in New York. It was the first time we took advantage of those huge video walls which have since become a hallmark of our CNN coverage.

In 2006, we brought our new generation of video walls to the CNN studios at the Time Warner Center in New York. It was another long night as we saw the Democrats become the majority in both the House and Senate. We took our political coverage to a new level that night.

And now we get ready for what I suspect will be another long night of election coverage.

People are always asking me: How do you prepare for this? My answer is simple. I am always preparing - every single day. I do my homework. I have discovered over the years that if you know your stuff, you will be prepared.

But there is also the matter of preparing physically for what will be a very long night. People always ask me about that. Don’t you get tired? The answer is that I am too pumped up to get tired. Still, I work hard at being ready. The night before, I always get a good night’s sleep. I exercise in the morning. It’s always a great way to start the day. I ran five miles this morning – as I try to do every morning. I eat a healthy breakfast. And the rest falls into place.

- CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Nancy TC

Can't wait Wolf....

THANK YOU FOR BEING A FAIR AND BALANCED PERSON!

GO HILLARY...2008

February 5, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  2. Barrister

The "rest" falls into place–like the unsubstantiated claims that President Clinton is racist? Like the punditry and prognosticating the night of the New Hampshire primary? Like the years of CNN serving as the propaganda wing for Bush's war in Iraq?

Yeah, that's "healthy".

February 5, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  3. ratings game

CNN has been running with ratings game for a week now. Sad fact. The product advertised on this network is the boycott.
    Remember, women have great memories and we will hold you responsible for biased reporting! The MSM has really tried to influence this election just as they did with the others and I hope Hillary wins big so the media and all the pundits will have egg on their faces tomorrow.
    Hillary voter can see this happen once this election is over.
    Most likely this will be moderated.

February 5, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  4. Peter

This doesn't have to be a long night. I can give you CNN's results right now:

If Clinton gets the popular vote and looses the delegates, Obama wins.
    If Clinton looses the popular vote and gets the delegates, Obama wins.
    If Clinton wins the popular vote and wins the delegates, Obama wins.

February 5, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  5. SuperWolf

I am glad you are pumped, everybody seems pumped. But please enough about you Wolf. Lets focus on the issues, candidates, and votes!

February 5, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  6. jorge

aipac is cool but not for "journalists"

February 5, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  7. Wayne, Greenville TX

I don't care how long it takes to get the results – as long as the results are properly tabulated and counted.

February 5, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  8. Lorraine

I have an observation to make> When they keep on saying that it looks like Mr. Obama might win – the Stock Market goes down and down. The foreign markets don't seem to like him. After Mrs. Clinton won, they went back up.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

February 5, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  9. done!

Wolf.... hope you have a nice long night, maybe you'll turn off your bias machine while you're at it! While talking with friends today, we've come to the conclusion you won't post anti-Obama comments. Between 6 of us, we've tried to post 20 comments... all of which are "awaiting moderation" or just disappear. You've pushed us all firmly behind Hillary Clinton!! Hope it was worth your effort.

February 5, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  10. Mark

Wolf,
    I hope that you and your team are ready to provide viewers an unbiased night full of coverage for all candidates. CNN's views always lean towards Obama, who is loved by the media. I am giving CNN one more chance to provide an unbiased view of the elections and watch as the numbers come in. Please do us a favor and don't show any favoritism. Thanks!
    Mark

February 5, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  11. Dudley Fernandez

I hope the media and the pollsters are wrong again

February 5, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  12. A fan

Looking good Wolf...

February 5, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  13. Damien

I always see Wolf whenever I tune into CNN.

February 5, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  14. Kevin FL

Great Post Wolf.. CNN/Election Center is my choice for political news and any other news!

February 5, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  15. Snooze

Thanks Wolf. We're all very interested in your insight and concerned with how you are able to keep up the good work.

February 5, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  16. sharon

……………..

Obama don’t even have enough experience – You want take another risk after Bush, might too early to take risk again

Inspire people – what about economy – inspire that too

I hope this should be a victory against biased media which is dirty than politics

Hillary 08

................................

February 5, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  17. Ken Robinson

I have had the honor of traveling with Wolf when he covered war zones around the world. I witnessed first hand how he would place his body on a “reverse cycle” and remain in sync with his audience in the United States, when his scheduled shows aired. If it were diner time for Iraq, he would keep his body on the time zone in the states, and enjoy a breakfast, even if it was simply an orange. Then, he would volunteer and do double-time shifts through the rest of his day. Much younger reporters have been challenged to keep up with him. His wit, insight, courage, and level of preparedness place him in a rare, small breed of journalist.

Ken, Beverly Hills, California

February 5, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  18. sharon

---------

Bill did so many good things except media don’t acknowledge

They want something dirty/odd/new situation

……………

February 5, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  19. trisha

Wolf,

I hope you're around for many more all nighters. Your the BEST!

Trisha

February 5, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  20. bernice todres

For Wolf Blitzer...

I pray and plan when I can ...no work 4-7pm.
    Love your editorials and what you bring toThe Situation room.
    You cannot be replaced! Thank you.

New viewer...first time TV owner, August,2007.
    Blessings for you.
    bernice todres

February 5, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  21. Randy

Good job, Wolf. As a fellow CNN employee, I really appreciate the work you do.

February 5, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. Michelle

You're awesome, Wolf!

You're the MAN!

Wolf for President!!!

February 5, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  23. Hillary 08

--------------------
    ***********************************************

Wish things were easy

Inspired kids will be the fate, they have no idea they get inspired on many things

Hillary 08

--------------------–
    ***********************************************

February 5, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  24. Spez

Peter, you are hilarious!

So no matter what happens, Obama wins!

But you still have to tune into CNN and watch it all unfold!

February 5, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  25. trisha2

oh, wolf. get over yourself.

February 5, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |