February 5th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a long night

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - These very long nights happen every few years. I remember staying up all night in November 2000, wondering out loud on television whether George W. Bush or Al Gore would be the next President. We anchored our coverage that night from the CNN Center in Atlanta. And the next day, I flew to Tallahassee to cover the Florida recount.

Four years later, it was an all-nighter as we watched the results come in, and wondered whether Bush or John Kerry would be the winner. Kerry conceded the next day. We anchored our coverage that night from the NASDAQ headquarters in New York. It was the first time we took advantage of those huge video walls which have since become a hallmark of our CNN coverage.

In 2006, we brought our new generation of video walls to the CNN studios at the Time Warner Center in New York. It was another long night as we saw the Democrats become the majority in both the House and Senate. We took our political coverage to a new level that night.

And now we get ready for what I suspect will be another long night of election coverage.

People are always asking me: How do you prepare for this? My answer is simple. I am always preparing - every single day. I do my homework. I have discovered over the years that if you know your stuff, you will be prepared.

But there is also the matter of preparing physically for what will be a very long night. People always ask me about that. Don’t you get tired? The answer is that I am too pumped up to get tired. Still, I work hard at being ready. The night before, I always get a good night’s sleep. I exercise in the morning. It’s always a great way to start the day. I ran five miles this morning – as I try to do every morning. I eat a healthy breakfast. And the rest falls into place.

- CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Ruth G. Harmon

Wolf, as always, you are the best. Thank you for doing your homework. It shows in the great coverage tonight.

February 6, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  2. pivoine

I am as impressed by the stamina of the reporters as by the stamina of the candidates. I have been watching CNN throughout the day, indeed most of the last few days, and the anchors and reporters and commentators always look fresh, sound articulate and remain enthusiastic. I congratulate everyone on the smoothness of this coverage. Thank you Wolf & co.

February 6, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  3. Antonia Corby

I am a political junky and as such I am sitting in front of the TV enjoying your show. I am desapointed at the lack of respect shown by one of your commentators whenhe rfers to Hillary Clinton as "The Clintons". I have noticed that the gentleman is bias but I find his to be a put down of Hillary Clinton because she is a woman. When you get too old to keep up with times one should have the courage to bow out.

Regards and keep up yhe good work otherwise.

Antonia

February 6, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  4. Ruth G. Harmon

I read the other comments before I posted my comment. What planet are some of these guys living on? Maybe MSNBC and Fox spend all night posting negatives instead of doing their "homework." I've watched CNN since your beginning and have continued because you provide the best and latest news WITHOUT bias. Wolf, you are the best of the best. Thanks for your hard work and for your honest coverage.

February 6, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  5. PAUL

I have been watching CNN all year and keep hearing about the best political team on television. Tonight you blew it Mr Blitzer. Fox network had Hillary winning Arizona a good 1/2 hour before you. They had McCain winning California a good ten minutes before you and when you were saying that California was to close to call for the Democrats and it looked like a long night Fox projected Hillary as the winner.
    Please explain this to the people who believe that you are the best in the business like myself. If you are to timid to call a race then please don't lie to us about the best political team on television. Please don't let me change channels just to see who wins so I don't have to wait. You people dropped the ball tonight and you need to pick it up and run with it. Paul

February 6, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  6. Mary G

Thanks for reporting fairly. CNN has done a great job overall on this Super Tuesday. But unfortunately now on the Larry King segment Carl Bernstein is on and I have had to change station.
    We were talking today at work about what station most will watch. I was so surprised how so many said CNN till he comes on.
    My feeling is the job is to report on info etc. Not campain against an a candidate for your own reasons!!!

February 6, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  7. tomdavie

Wolf.

You are great. But CNN is biasing Obama badly. He is a corporate puppet. Bought and paid for by the media.

I wonder how oprah feels about california now? Stumping to sway WOMENS VOTES?

She now has go face her audience , whom many are going to be RIGHTEOUSLY pissed right off.

February 6, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  8. Karen, California

Thanks for the reporting, but as a Democrat, I am very disappointed that you seem to be biased to Obama. For the first few hours tonight, I never saw Hillary's face boxes by the states she had won but saw a lot of Obama's....now we have NY and CA in....when are you going to project the delegates vs. the state counts? Aren't we smart enought to understand this makes a difference?? You in the media are trying to influence the people's votes by the way you are reporting.

February 6, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  9. Jane Clemons

It appears Obama tends to win in those weird caucus states where everyone does not get to vote, or can trade votes or vote twice. Clinton seems to win in primary states where you can vote all day and everyone has the opportunity to vote. Do you realize this and just don't talk about it? We all know you guys prefer Obama. That;s a shame.

February 6, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  10. otto

The one good thing about tonite is that McCain looks like he will take the republican nomination and this gives me a choice if the Clinton's get nominated. We may be able to break the chain of Bushs and Clintons in the white house

February 6, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  11. Chet Bright

Wolf,

I think Gloria and David both hit the mark when they alluded to John McCain's arrogant attitude about his being "above reproach" with a "Holyier than thou" attitude that he can do no wrong. It's very reminiscent of the McCarthy era where he makes these off the wall comments that no one seems to challenge, or if they do, then he attacks them as "unpatriotic." He tries to instill fear into the American people about a war that he is so personally immersed in, that he can't see straight. This man scares the hell out of me...and I will never vote for him.

February 6, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  12. omnath

Have been following the election center for a month or so. According to me the team is totally unbiased and professional. No wonder it is projected as the "Best political team on television". Lou Dobbs tops the list with his indepth analysis & expert comments on the core issues which is grappling the entire nation and followed by wolf (happening now ) and anderson cooper (AC360).

Keep up the good work. Look forward to your continued quality coverage on super tuesday results & analysis !

Hope the super tuesday coverage brings more hits to your blog than Jack Cafferty's blog :)

February 6, 2008 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  13. Maria

Once again, there was a clear demonstration of media spin for Obama.
    Out of 9 states where Obama had huge advantage, 6 were won in tiny caucuses. This was mentioned throughout the night but the scale and proportion of this was never put clearly forward. Of course, if Hillary was the one to win this way, it would have been huge hoo-la-la. Furthermore, out of 9 states with decisive support for Obama (total 64 delegates in November), 7 are decisively republican (UT,Alaska,ID,KS,ND,AL,GA). Those states vote republican in general election, and independents in those states are likely to vote for McCain. So much for "the best candidate to beat McCain".

February 6, 2008 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  14. Hannah Waldhorn

i am a non-partisan voter registered in California... i just read an article on the msnbc website that obama was worried that non-partisan voters in this state were not given the option to vote for the democratic candidate in certain counties, even though they are entitled that vote. i knew that i was supposed to be able to vote for the democratic candidate, but the option was not included on the page of non-partisan issues and i ended up giving my ballot over without voting, i was going to vote for obama. afterwards i found out that i could have, but it was never made clear to me before hand. i am in los angeles and that is one of the counties msnbc said may be affected, i knew i could have been the only one to be confused. when i read that article i was so angry because it said the clinton representatives were saying that this was just obamas way to complain, but i am angry i didnt get to cast my vote and cant imagine that i was the only one to make the mistake!!! i dont know who to talk to about this but i want someone to know... TELL EVERYONE please.

February 6, 2008 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  15. Laurie

Dear Mr. Blitzer,

I have always marveled at your energy, enthusiasm, and expertise. You are a fabulous and professional journalist. Many thanks.

Laurie

Canada

February 6, 2008 04:05 am at 4:05 am |
  16. D

I am personally VERY SHOCKED at the obviously blantant sexism I saw while sitting up all night watching CNN…
    Every time Obama won a state, it was HUGE PRAISE and tons of too heaped on him ..
    when Hillary won , they tried to figure out WHY she won and what it meant to Obama, and the CAST of "pundits" seemed to get more and more caught up in it as the night went on…..
    I also noticed …that when Hillary was leading in a state, CNN and the powers that be, wouldnt call it for HILLARY until it was over 60 sometimes 70 percent, and they would say ITS BECAUSE IT WAS JUST TOO CLOSE … But once the votes were actually IN … She beat Obama handily …But they would call an OBAMA win alot faster and PRAISE AND PRAISE and spend lots of time on him …
    The only people I noticed who tried to keep the folks away from that was LOU DOBBS and ANDERSON COOPER …
    Please guys.. I know some of you cant stand the IDEA of a FEMALE president , but please …..keep it to yourselves …….. it was SHOWING BAD last night … very BAD …….
    I love my PARTY and will support whoever wins my PARTY …
    But please be FAIR "GENTLEMEN" and keep your personal ideas and feelings at HOME ….
    I watched this go on AND on on FOX … but we all EXPECT it from them … NOT CNN…

February 6, 2008 05:29 am at 5:29 am |
  17. Mark Wiggins

Wolf Blitzer is the most impartial, respected, excellent and irreproachable political commentator in the world today....and he has been for many years.

His particular genius, in my view, is the way he acts as an intermediary in presenting the most persuasive of the opposing views by either video or verbal recitation of the written record, and then permitting his studio guests fair right of reply.

In the marketplace of ideas, Wolf is an honest broker. But he is far more also. His spontaneous critical faculties rarely miss the key follow up questions needed to probe holes in the countervailing arguments.

Wolf is as equally respected by both sides of the political divide as by his global television audience.

Politicians would like the facts to NOT get in the way of a good story. Wolf makes the facts the story in a way that is both entertaining and educational.

And finally, his intellectual firepower is coupled with a humility that clearly brings out the best in the CNN team. You can tell they love working with him. Who wouldn't? Thanks Wolf.

February 6, 2008 05:37 am at 5:37 am |
  18. Mike

I have a question for wolf, Does Affirmative action work in Elections ? Were a Minority is running again Majority. It works every where else in our system.

Mike

February 6, 2008 07:36 am at 7:36 am |
  19. tigerjcs

Thank you Wolfe. Providing balance news and facts.

Way to go, Hillary! California love you!. And we all love you. You are the stronger and tough candidate with substance who has presented clear and detail plans for implementation of CHANGE. Obama is full of empty talk.

February 6, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  20. KB

OOoooooowwwwwwwwwwWWWW Call of the Wolf!

February 6, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  21. Anonymous

Why should I vote for someone on the basis of what he says he would not have done?

Senator Obama claims he would not have supported the legislation to conduct a fact-finding mission and/or authorize war, but, he never says what he would have done (or how he would have handled it). His supporters should demand an answer. Were not he and his constituency in Illinois also affected by the 09/11/01 bombings and did not he react strongly in 2001?

Too, in the midst of self-righteous pontifications about how he would have exercised such 'good judgment' about the 9/11 attacks and the decision to go to war, he promptly accepts major endorsements from Senators and House of Representative members, who voted for the legislation to conduct a fact-finding mission and/or authorize the war. I am of the opinion that he is more concerned about winning the Presidency than about leading with courage and conviction.

Senator Clinton gets my vote.

February 6, 2008 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  22. Lilia

Dabeth, excellent comment and right on!

I am from Latin America and I started watching the coverage in CNNI last night, I knew Clinton was strong when I saw everyone's faces and demeanor in the broadcast. Gloomy. I can clearly remember their demeanor with the South Carolina primary! It was appaling. Especially the ladies, Suzanne Malvaux and the Gloria lady predicting that Hillary would come in third. They were relishing Clinton's defeat...almost salivating!

From what I have been following, last night, Mrs. Clinton achieved what she set out to do which was to win the big states. She knew and knows that she doesn't have as many resources as Obama has financially or with high profile endorsements. It´s funny ...when you see Obama campaigning and talking about not only changing America BUT THE WORLD!!!! he is on some pulpit with people just screaming.
    Mrs. Clinton is WITH THE PEOPLE, you see her more connected. Obama is riding a huge ego trip and last night he looked flustered, angry and frustrated because the knock out blow would have been to take either MA or NJ or CA from her. HE COULDN't and no matter how many states he won, he couldn´t achieve what all the polls were saying he would achieve. I would really like to like him, BUT I don't trust him or his ambition which is, sorry to say, unmeasured.

February 6, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  23. s smith

I can't recall ever being this excited about an election. I am with you Wolf. But, get come sleep some time. You all are appreciated, even if you make mistakes at times.

February 6, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  24. Darlene

Wolf, very poor reporting by you and the CNN pundits. It was a sad night when male political candidates were called by their names, and the female candidate was constantly referred to as "She." This is proof positive that, "There are two kinds of people in this world: Human beings and women." I should have watched Fox News.

February 6, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  25. ani

how about race, which you are playing hard on Spanish voter for Hillary 87 percent of black vote went to Obama for change. Clinton has more character than Kenedy.

February 6, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |