February 5th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a long night

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - These very long nights happen every few years. I remember staying up all night in November 2000, wondering out loud on television whether George W. Bush or Al Gore would be the next President. We anchored our coverage that night from the CNN Center in Atlanta. And the next day, I flew to Tallahassee to cover the Florida recount.

Four years later, it was an all-nighter as we watched the results come in, and wondered whether Bush or John Kerry would be the winner. Kerry conceded the next day. We anchored our coverage that night from the NASDAQ headquarters in New York. It was the first time we took advantage of those huge video walls which have since become a hallmark of our CNN coverage.

In 2006, we brought our new generation of video walls to the CNN studios at the Time Warner Center in New York. It was another long night as we saw the Democrats become the majority in both the House and Senate. We took our political coverage to a new level that night.

And now we get ready for what I suspect will be another long night of election coverage.

People are always asking me: How do you prepare for this? My answer is simple. I am always preparing - every single day. I do my homework. I have discovered over the years that if you know your stuff, you will be prepared.

But there is also the matter of preparing physically for what will be a very long night. People always ask me about that. Don’t you get tired? The answer is that I am too pumped up to get tired. Still, I work hard at being ready. The night before, I always get a good night’s sleep. I exercise in the morning. It’s always a great way to start the day. I ran five miles this morning – as I try to do every morning. I eat a healthy breakfast. And the rest falls into place.

- CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Jacqueline

Don't listen to the naysayers, Wolf. We know that you do a great job and that covering these races is tough business. I'm not too found of Anderson Cooper (he's a bit of a lightweight in my opinion), but you, Jack Cafferty, and the rest of the team do a great job. Keep up the good work!

February 5, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  2. innocent by-stander

What does this have to do with anything?

Is the election about Wolf Blitzer?

"Political Ticker" – Wolf Blitzer runs 5 miles every morning and eats a healthy breakfast. Is that really relevant here and how?

I would never ask him whether he gets tired – try to have a shift in a mine for a day, and you will realise how ridiculous such a question really is.

February 5, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  3. Common Man

Wolf all I can say is that your dedicated to your profession. I don't have the stomach to listen to all these blowhards like you do. I just pop CNN on from time to time and you bring me up to date in under 3 minutes and even that sometimes is more then I can bear in this political vine swinging jungle. Don't let these candidates get too close to you. Some of the stuff they are slinging might get on you.

February 5, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  4. David

I hope you have a home life and get some rest. However, keep up the good work. You are the best.

February 5, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  5. Moses Adelante, NYC

Go Wolf!!!!

Thank you for proving to be another media-biased money hungry soul

How much is Obama paying you?

February 5, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  6. mark

5 mile run every morning? No wonder you're pumped.

And yes, homework, homework, homework.

Regarding the few comments that are already in...I don't know WHAT Hillary Clinton supporters have to complain about.

Try being a Ron Paul supporter. Then you are allowed to complain about media bias.

February 5, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  7. crockett in houston

lol thanks Wolf

I 'try' to run 5 miles every morning too =)

TRYIN IS DYIN BABY

GO OBAMA

February 5, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  8. john

You missed one Peter.
    If Obama wins America will be disappointed.

February 5, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  9. robert

wolf, you're fun to watch, in regards to how you're able to be alert awake and not tired it's very simple as you stated in your blog, proper sleep, healthy diet, and exercise, it's so simple that americans don't seem to get it. keep it up wolf .

February 5, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  10. Dr. EBPryor

Wolf~

You and Anderson Cooper are two of the most respected and reliable news anchors on television. I know you get paid to do this work, but thank you for your integrity and policy of "fair and balanced" reportage! Both of you hang in there tonight and take good care!

February 5, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  11. Dem08

Before CNN announces Obama the winner( regardless of who really wins) go out and vote for the best canidate. Hillary Clinton.

Obama says " yes we can", well Hillary says "yes I have". Experiance and common sense policies should win out. Hillary has great policies and should not be ignored.

February 5, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  12. Andre

As I was just watching TV – one of their top lines are " SUPER SECOND-GUESSING". Well of course!! CNN has been exagerating polls that favour Obama, so when Obama loses out, they'll just blame it on the uncertainty of voters!!

February 5, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  13. Ben

Another major scoop by CNN: how Wolf Blitzer starts his day.

clap.

clap.

clap.

It's a good thing there is no real news to report.

February 5, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  14. Ken

I remember watching CNN utilize the NASDAQ site perfectly.

When bumpers for 'The Situation Room' came out, I quickly realized that the concept is a direct fruit of that coverage in 2004.

The giant video wall in New York, and controlled from Washington DC (if I'm not mistaken) is amazing – and I can not wait to see it in full action of its intended purpose tonight - and imagine how amazing it would be come November!

(",)

February 5, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. Jeff

WOLF BLITZER, YOU ROCK!!!

February 5, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  16. Trading wine for beer

HA! Peter, I think we must be psychic. I had that same vision!

February 5, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. Varun

Wolf – Thanks for letting us in on your secret. Watching you on TV gets us excited, energized and equally pumped-up!

February 5, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. George

Fascinating insight.

February 5, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  19. sharon

Thanks, Wolf. I appreciate your sleepless night to keep me informed.

February 5, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. Tim

I have never figured out why Clinton supporters think CNN is biased. Seriously, the Clinotn supporters remind me of Bush supporters, "Don't dare say a bad thing or disagree with my candidate!" Are you that thin skinned?

February 5, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  21. Dee

Why are Clinton supporters so angry? I don't get it. I guess women are determined to show their power by voting for Clinton. Make sure you won't get disappointed in November folks.

February 5, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  22. Joaquim

Only in America!!!!!! why we waste our time voting? If the Popular vote doesn't count? Just ridiculous...

February 5, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  23. Illinois Indie

Hey Lorraine...The stock markets went up when George W Bush was looking to win in 2000 and they went down when Al Gore was looked to win during that whole recount so Wall Street always go where they can get money.

February 5, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  24. Mark W

Oh. My. GOD. Can I throw up now???....

February 5, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  25. Farah

Wolf, I will stay up all night with you to watch the results just like I stayed up in 2000 and 2004. Thank you for all that you and the best political team on TV does for America and the world.

February 5, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |