February 5th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a long night

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - These very long nights happen every few years. I remember staying up all night in November 2000, wondering out loud on television whether George W. Bush or Al Gore would be the next President. We anchored our coverage that night from the CNN Center in Atlanta. And the next day, I flew to Tallahassee to cover the Florida recount.

Four years later, it was an all-nighter as we watched the results come in, and wondered whether Bush or John Kerry would be the winner. Kerry conceded the next day. We anchored our coverage that night from the NASDAQ headquarters in New York. It was the first time we took advantage of those huge video walls which have since become a hallmark of our CNN coverage.

In 2006, we brought our new generation of video walls to the CNN studios at the Time Warner Center in New York. It was another long night as we saw the Democrats become the majority in both the House and Senate. We took our political coverage to a new level that night.

And now we get ready for what I suspect will be another long night of election coverage.

People are always asking me: How do you prepare for this? My answer is simple. I am always preparing - every single day. I do my homework. I have discovered over the years that if you know your stuff, you will be prepared.

But there is also the matter of preparing physically for what will be a very long night. People always ask me about that. Don’t you get tired? The answer is that I am too pumped up to get tired. Still, I work hard at being ready. The night before, I always get a good night’s sleep. I exercise in the morning. It’s always a great way to start the day. I ran five miles this morning – as I try to do every morning. I eat a healthy breakfast. And the rest falls into place.

- CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Kelly

Oh I remember Bush vs Kerry in 2000! I was up BARELY that night too!! This is probably going to take as long tonight again. What an upset in 2000. Hopefully it won't be an upset tonight for me again with McCain winning. I think Hucklebee is going to sneak in and get more delegates than people are expecting. and off topic, there needs to be a solution to all this voting. All states should vote at the same time. Not one state should be our "structure" in how we should vote. And what's up with everyone voting in MI and FL for Dems and not even getting a delegate? HOW SCREWED UP IS THAT???? seems unfair for even a person in IL.

February 5, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  2. Alison, FL

All you Obama haters need to just cool it!...lol...just mad because he has momentum and taking away your precious Hillary's lead...He is the underdog and may not win tonight but it cannot be ignored that he was able to close the gap so quickly on the "inevitable" nominee..

February 5, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  3. Tanya

I am going to bed right now, that is after seeing where stock market went today, taking my retirement along.
    It is an economy..., um, you know who you are!

February 5, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. Karen

Wolf, you are a smart guy. So please, in heaven's name, why do you have that dumb Glen Beck on your program? I just watched you talking with him and Roland Martin. It is insulting to Roland Martin, a sharp, savvy, extremely smart guy, to have him up against Glen Beck! Beck has to be one of the dumbest guys around, and CNN hires him. Go figure.

February 5, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. Jack the Canuck

Would CNN and in particular Blitzer and Schneider be so pro-Obama if he were not an African American man? Would you be so apt to continually give him more exposure and support over Clinton if he were not a man?
    I don't get it?
    Why is CNN so pro Male and so pro African American? There must be a hidden reason.
    And here I thought unlike newspapers, CNN was supposed to be neutral and report equally on everyone?

February 5, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  6. norman wishman

Wolf,
    Why not emphasize the thousasnds and thousands of absentee ballots in California? Afterall, you cannt tell who is ahead until those ballots are counted.

February 5, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  7. Derek, Jersey Shore

Wolf,

You forgot to add one thing you do before you go on air.
    You have to go Obama's website to download your list of talking points for the day.

I have never seen such one sided coverage in my entire life. Oh wait, maybe I did in 2000 when the media so smitten with another unifying political figure...

GEORGE W. BUSH

Republicans will have a field day with ths kid if he wins the primary.

Say what you will about the warroom tactics but those guys know how to beat the Republicans AND get results.

February 5, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. COLLECTIVE WILL

Canada being in danger of loosing remote northern land and water area to Russian submarines… What are the consequences of Russia occupying the northern Canada and gaining land and waters claims?

February 5, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  9. Steve H

Wolf Blitzer, for those of us who have a really good hunch that it'll come down to Hillary Clinton for the Democrats and Mike Huckabee for Republicans, I'm expecting these polls to confirm what I predict. How about those funny fact commercials, are you holding out on everyone?

February 5, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  10. Al in Wpg

done! – in reply to your post: Wolf…. hope you have a nice long night, maybe you'll turn off your bias machine while you're at it! While talking with friends today, we've come to the conclusion you won't post anti-Obama comments. Between 6 of us, we've tried to post 20 comments… all of which are "awaiting moderation" or just disappear. You've pushed us all firmly behind Hillary Clinton!! Hope it was worth your effort.

How in the world were you pushed behind Clinton? I would think getting 6 people together to post 20 anti-Obama comments would indicate you were already there, if not on the payrol.

February 5, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. truth

pls make sure you do unbiased reporting... enough of forcing us to like obama

February 5, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. CG

I couldn't agree more with the comments above. I watch CNN regularly (when not watching and/or listening to Public Broadcasting) and I have been mortified by the bias against Hillary and the Clintons in this campaign. It seems that the media is as taken with "rock stars" as is the rest of our nation. While my opinion is that Hillary is the strongest candidate, I appreciate Obama's charisma (as I think do many Democrats). An example of media bias is the coverage that the Kennedy's (Ted and Caroline) have received around their support for Obama. Last night, on Hillary's national town hall, I saw that the Mayor of LA has endorsed Hillary. Why has this fact not received media attention? Why do I have search the web to find coverage of the other key supporters of Hillary–even Kennedys?
    Each time there is a debate, commentators seem to agree that Hillary wins–yet, reporting consistently favors Obama. What is this about?

February 5, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  13. Anonymous

I remember the earlier elections when we stayed up all night glued to the radio, cheering or moaning as results trickled in. This is great fun!

February 5, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. Jill Mitchell

CNN reminds me so much of the propaganda machines of the 1960's in Eastern Europe. Every time you spout your biases Wolf, you infringe upon the electorate's basic human rights – rights to the plain, unvarnished truth. You have taken liberties with our rights, you have turned information television into tabloid, entertainment television. Ratings = advertising = money – a pretty simple equation. Anarchy reigns supreme at CNN. What are you going to do when Clinton is elected and she won't agree to being interviewed by you? Keep up your biased reporting at your own peril and paycheck.

Yes, your biases make you controversial and the topic of conversation. What are you going to do after the elections. Good luck with the job search. America has had just about enough of you. Time to retire perhaps.

February 5, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  15. Julia

Wolf,
    I am constantly astounded at your dedication to this. You amaze me in a thousand different ways, and all I can do to show you that is to say thank you on your blog, hoping that you see it eventually. You inspire me not just in my choice to study journalism, but in every day life. You keep me informed, and you make me smile while doing so.
    I will be watching every bit of your coverage tonight, and I can confidently say that from what I've seen today so far, you and the CNN team truly are the best on television.

On an unrelated note, you ran five miles?! People, THAT'S what it's all about!!

February 5, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  16. Eric - Chicago, IL

"I have an observation to make> When they keep on saying that it looks like Mr. Obama might win – the Stock Market goes down and down. The foreign markets don't seem to like him. After Mrs. Clinton won, they went back up.
    Has anyone else noticed this?"

I have an observation to make as well: Correlation does NOT equal Causation.

My observation is a fact.

February 5, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  17. Sasha

Could Wolf kiss Obama's butt anymore? Good grief, every time you turn it on CNN it's Obama this Obama that...If you want a stinky president, vote for BO.

Yeah, don't tell me....I know this won't get posted...

February 5, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  18. Sis

Wolf, stay up for California. Keep voting Californians! Forget the polls, you will make history tonight!

February 5, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  19. Ali

Wolf Blitzer sleeps? I guess he really IS human!
    CNN is simply the best! I'm addicted.

February 5, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  20. Joe Sellers

Wolf, I don't understand why you try to keep the questions away from Mike Huckabee in the debates. He makes more sence than all of the reporters and other candiates. Why don't you try to be " fair and balanced."

February 5, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  21. Al in Wpg

Sharon, congrats on your name chagne to Hillary 08. I know because you post the same things in other ticker news... but I would like to please ask you to re-write your posts before doing the old copy-n-paste because they really don't make any sense at all....

Inspired kids will be the fate, they have no idea they get inspired on many things
    -what the heck does that mean????

Bill did so many good things except media don’t acknowledge
    -he also did alot of very very bad things, that the media does not acknoledge either.

Obama don’t even have enough experience – You want take another risk after Bush, might too early to take risk again
    -What experience does Hill have that Obama don't have?

Inspire people – what about economy – inspire that too
    -seeing how the economy is fueled but the stock markets, inspiring investors to see the potential of a country could very well save the economy.

I hope this should be a victory against biased media which is dirty than politics
    -I hope you go back to school.

February 5, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  22. Disappointed

I don't know what happened to John McCain. I used to respect him before he started using these old fashion tactics to destroy his opponent. What makes him any better than Mitt Romney. Obviously Romney is more qualified to change the future of this country, but I prefer Ron Paul, except for his strong International ideas. If Obama is the Democrats choice, I'll go with him. If Clinton and McCain are the only choices, I'll go fishing, unless Paul decides to run on independent ticket.

February 5, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  23. Michael

Wolf. It kills me that the "paper tiger" conservatives are willing to turn on their own for the simple reason that McCain will not kiss their ring! I'm conservative and I know that his well known independent streak and stubbornness are strengths of conviction. Would they rather have Romney who has no backbone at all? How did we ever let junkies and snakeoil salesmen take over our party?

February 5, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  24. Bukky

Get ready to fly to California for a Recount

February 5, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  25. Mike from San Francisco

I have always admire your prepation. (Of course The Hotline helps). How can you not be PUMP. I hard a hard time getting back to sleep at 4:00 this morning.

February 5, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |