February 5th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a long night

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - These very long nights happen every few years. I remember staying up all night in November 2000, wondering out loud on television whether George W. Bush or Al Gore would be the next President. We anchored our coverage that night from the CNN Center in Atlanta. And the next day, I flew to Tallahassee to cover the Florida recount.

Four years later, it was an all-nighter as we watched the results come in, and wondered whether Bush or John Kerry would be the winner. Kerry conceded the next day. We anchored our coverage that night from the NASDAQ headquarters in New York. It was the first time we took advantage of those huge video walls which have since become a hallmark of our CNN coverage.

In 2006, we brought our new generation of video walls to the CNN studios at the Time Warner Center in New York. It was another long night as we saw the Democrats become the majority in both the House and Senate. We took our political coverage to a new level that night.

And now we get ready for what I suspect will be another long night of election coverage.

People are always asking me: How do you prepare for this? My answer is simple. I am always preparing - every single day. I do my homework. I have discovered over the years that if you know your stuff, you will be prepared.

But there is also the matter of preparing physically for what will be a very long night. People always ask me about that. Don’t you get tired? The answer is that I am too pumped up to get tired. Still, I work hard at being ready. The night before, I always get a good night’s sleep. I exercise in the morning. It’s always a great way to start the day. I ran five miles this morning – as I try to do every morning. I eat a healthy breakfast. And the rest falls into place.

- CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. kaveh naficy

why is no one talking about ethics of a president. on exprience was george bush not experienced having grown up in his father's house of politics and as governor of texas and how old was bill clinton anyway when he ran

February 5, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  2. CDR

The momentum of the movement that is "The Future of America," can only be prolonged by today's events but America is long past overdue for CHANGE.

When the people lead, our leaders will follow! The people are moving and the loosely knitted fabric that is America is becoming quilted ever more tightly into a coalition of everyday people who demand a new direction and more from our leaders. There are those that would leave the fabric divided. There are those that would leave holes in America and allow our Nation to continue to come apart at its stitches. However, the people have chosen to unite for one UNITED STATES and one AMERICA.

We look forward to a future of a a stronger AMERICA where the least of us has opportunity to prosper. Where we re-invest in the foundation of this Nation... that is the American people because without the American people there is no America. This is a Nation governed by the people and for the people and for so long we have not had our voices heard but TODAY WE VOTE for CHANGE. And, the people will prevail over the establishment that has oppressed the everyday American, that has left our children in debt, shipped our jobs oversees, and made it ever so hard to succeed in the Land of Opportunity. Today we are not without HOPE we are not without a VOICE.

PLEASE Get out and BARACK the VOTE for OBAMA and for a Nation United.

-CDR

February 5, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  3. Peter, San Francisco, CA

any night listening to Wolf.... Blitzer is a long night.
    Hearing him during the last Democratic debate was very.... annoying. ("He took a swipe at you!"... "Are you calling her naive?" etc.)
    I'm always amazed at how little news CNN reports over 24 hours - I get more out one hour on PBS (even their analysts provide more light than heat) or BBC America (where they seem to hire reporters, not pundits).
    Oh wait, here's Candy Crowley, pulling away from the buffet table long enough to give us yet another "report" on the horse race.

February 5, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  4. Harald

Wolf – great job as usual. I'll be watching all night. Obama I hope will be the man in 2008. He will give the US a new global outlook and he will restore the US influence around the globe.

February 5, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  5. kaveh

there have only been a few presidents ever under threat of impeachment and one of them has turned into a rock star now. same one that pardoned his rich white collar ciriminal friends evading the IRS during his last days of presidency

February 5, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  6. Chris

Hi Wolf

I just wanted to say what a big impact you have had on my life. Since the age of 12 my mom has been watching CNN, and now I am a die hard fan. I have had CNN on in my residence room nearly 24/7, and it is all because of you!!!

I love the way you report the news of the day, and how you push for the cold hard truth. I am a Proud Canadian who truly admires you. All Canadians Love you Wolf! Keep up the good work, and hopefully tonight won't be too long for you.

February 5, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. Connie

If Obama wins, the Republicans will be scared as they don't know how to beat him. With Hillary, it is a different story. Republicans will be coming out of the wood work to vote AGAINST her.

February 5, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  8. Bob

Wolf Blitzer, You Are America.

And Yes, I'm Just Saying That, But I Hope It Made You Feel Good For At Least A Second Or Two.

February 5, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  9. Doug

Reporters reporting on themselves is always pathetic. The news should be about the news. This space could have been devoted to informing the public about US actions in Somalia, or about what is happening in Chad. Instead, we learn about how Wolf Blitzer prepares to do his job.

February 5, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  10. rocky

you definitely know your stuff and thanx so much for sharing – -

February 5, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  11. Jason

I like how all these biased people are calling Wolf biased. I guess when your subjective it's hard to see objective clearly. Keep up the good work Wolf.

February 5, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  12. BeFair

Wolf, I always have admired you since long. But recently, I see that you and your team are totally biased towards Obama. Your team looks like anti-clintion team ready to poke fun and make sarcastic comments about her. Especially Anderson and Roland Martin. Sometimes, they are really insulting.

All I request is to Be Fair. Even though you have favorites, don't show it up. That makes the media more trustable and you as likeable.

February 5, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. Margaret Larmoyeux

Do the polls in California open later then in the state of Florida?? I noticed that California's voting polls were open until 12:00AM, Florida time, which is 9:00PM. In Florida, the polls close at 7:00PM, opening at 7:00AM, or do Californians have a longer time to get to the polls and vote???

February 5, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  14. Adam

Honestly, who cares about your breakfast... Wow I never realized how egotistical the Wolf has become... Keep up your wonderful reports about the "Dream Ticket"... Like that is going to happen...

February 5, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  15. Mike from San Francisco

I have always admire your preparation. (Of course The Hotline help.) How can you mot be PUMP. I hard a hard time getting back to sleep at 4:00 this morning.

February 5, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  16. CP

Sharon:

Please learn proper grammar before posting another comment.

John:

Please speak for yourself...I for one will be happy if Obama wins.

February 5, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  17. Jay

Oh spare us, Hillaryites! Must you make every post on the ticker about how coverage is biased? I've had many, many posts get moderated away for whatever reason. I'm just hoping this one gets through so y'all would quit yapping so much. If you don't like the coverage, get it from somewhere else.

February 5, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  18. Jim

Hi Wolf,

I'm tired of hearing that CNN has the "best political team on TV". If you have to tell us this every two minutes it must not be that obvious.

Please change the robotic tone of your voice. It is so tedious.

February 5, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  19. Carrie

Five miles a day, WOW!

Obama 08

February 5, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  20. Go hillary, your supporter from CA

Oh I'm Waiting. HILLARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT!

February 5, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  21. Jolly Potter

I cant wait Wolf when you get Hillary on the air after the New York results are in and Obama gets more than 40% of the vote –

Does the phrase:

"do you think you were a little naive Senator to think that Obama could not get more than 40% ? " – come to mind.

By the way – did you manage to take any polls on that 5 mile run ?

February 5, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  22. Jones in California

John King (CNN REPORTER) stop this bias, race divide commentary. Folks are still voting you don't know who is winning; just shut up, and report fairly..

February 5, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  23. Toby

Hi Wolf: The whole Delegate system is so arcaic as to defy description. The founding fathers in an attempt to allow the American Citizens to have a meaningful vote, they had the delegate system, to allow people on the frontier to elect a person they believed would vote there convictions, a Delegate. This was 300 years ago and the news was 6 to 8 monthe getting around. They did not have any news of the day. So a Delegate went to the Political convension and voted for the people he knew and respected to get the person up for election, then the election came and the same system came into use to elect the President. As the news is so available the whole delegate system negates the popular vote and a person could be elected without the popular vote because of the alotment of delegates is idiotic not to mention expensive. Why not have an election where the popular vote rules and then every person knowes there vote counts and all the states are not relegated to who has the most delegates gets the attention and small states get nothing. I feel that my vote is of very little use when elections can be bought by who can get the most money. If the popular vote counted all Americans would now have an equal say in the very important subject of electing our President. Do away with the electorial college and count the vote..

February 5, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  24. ILL, votes for Hillary !!!!

I voted for HILLARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ALL my friends, my son and my friends grown children and others, who I know also voted for HILARY !!!!!
    HILLARY 2008 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 5, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  25. Roselle

Whatever happens, HIllary deserves to be the winner! She is the smartest, the most capable, the wisest and the most empathetic and genuine. Hopefully the country will vote for a wonderful President which we deserve.. CNN and all the other media outlets have been so biased that is quite saddening – I hope you enjoy getting mindless people to vote for candidates they know nothing about – other than that's whom they're talking about in the most favorable light!

Go Hillary!!