February 5th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a long night

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - These very long nights happen every few years. I remember staying up all night in November 2000, wondering out loud on television whether George W. Bush or Al Gore would be the next President. We anchored our coverage that night from the CNN Center in Atlanta. And the next day, I flew to Tallahassee to cover the Florida recount.

Four years later, it was an all-nighter as we watched the results come in, and wondered whether Bush or John Kerry would be the winner. Kerry conceded the next day. We anchored our coverage that night from the NASDAQ headquarters in New York. It was the first time we took advantage of those huge video walls which have since become a hallmark of our CNN coverage.

In 2006, we brought our new generation of video walls to the CNN studios at the Time Warner Center in New York. It was another long night as we saw the Democrats become the majority in both the House and Senate. We took our political coverage to a new level that night.

And now we get ready for what I suspect will be another long night of election coverage.

People are always asking me: How do you prepare for this? My answer is simple. I am always preparing - every single day. I do my homework. I have discovered over the years that if you know your stuff, you will be prepared.

But there is also the matter of preparing physically for what will be a very long night. People always ask me about that. Don’t you get tired? The answer is that I am too pumped up to get tired. Still, I work hard at being ready. The night before, I always get a good night’s sleep. I exercise in the morning. It’s always a great way to start the day. I ran five miles this morning – as I try to do every morning. I eat a healthy breakfast. And the rest falls into place.

- CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Marilyn

Wolf you stink! Hilary rocks!!!

February 5, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  2. PETE IN NEW YORK

John, your comment is ignonant, dumbfounded and stupid. Who will be dissappointed? Speak for yourself...

February 5, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  3. mort

I can't tell if these people are illiterate or just type too fast:

If Clinton looses the popular vote and gets the delegates, Obama wins.

– loses has one 'O,' not two.

CNN has been running with ratings game for a week now. Sad fact. The product advertised on this network is the boycott. Remember, women have great memories and we will hold you responsible for biased reporting! The MSM has really tried to influence this election just as they did with the others and I hope Hillary wins big so the media and all the pundits will have egg on their faces tomorrow. Hillary voter can see this happen once this election is over. Most likely this will be moderated.

– yeah... what she said (???)

Go OBAMA!

February 5, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  4. Teresa

Wolf, I am a 48 year old woman mother of 7. I would like to know why is cnn giving all the attention to Barak Obama? I am very excited about this election as most Americans are, and feel Cnn should not be tilting toward any particular candidate. Personaly I am very hopeful for Hilary Clinton. Not race, but yes gender. No matter the race. We have never given a shot at the Presidency to a woman. Please be fair here. America is watching remember.

February 5, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  5. lami

wow... seems like there are lots of Clinton lovers here...

I prefer Obama, most people with experience never change a darn thing...

Those who hate the Clinton's have a problem with themselves... I don't hate them, I just prefer Obama...

February 5, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  6. Disappointed

Wolf,

My previous comment was intended for the "McCain takes air at Romney article"

February 5, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  7. Phebe (Karen) Beiser

Wolf,

When you all cover California and the getting of the vote from Hispanics, conservatives, and other groups, I never hear you or the reporters mentioning the gay vote. From what I've heard, Hilary has the edge on that! The lgbt vote is significant in California–more than the 10% estimate nationally.

Phebe

Really enjoy CNN's coverage otherwise!

February 5, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  8. Kim

You are always sooooo funny. I just love watching you on CNN!!!

p.s.: I am pumped up too :)

February 5, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  9. Adele

Everyone seem to be down on Obama. I am just fed up with the Clinton's. Do we really want to have another Clinton in the Whitehouse. Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton. same old thing over and over again. Did you people forget that Hillary was already president when Bill was elected.

February 5, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  10. PS

Hi Wolf

What your CNN's independnt man is thinking. Is he searching for another Ross Pero or Ralph Nader? You guys deserve a break. Why don't you ask for that to your boss.

February 5, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  11. Dennis

Clinton supporters need to get off this "the media hates Hillary and is pulling for Obama" tune. It is getting stale and it isn't true. Notice the link to the fact check piece? Notice the spot on the ticker about Hillary being on Letterman? Hillary is getting plenty of coverage here today.

February 5, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  12. ObamaSUPPORTER

Wolfe,
    I truly think you and your team do a great Job! I love your programs and coverage. Keep up the good work.

February 5, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  13. Sam

LOL – CNN Results: Obama Wins

If Clinton wins more states, she won't do it by "quite enough"

If Obama wins more states by 1/2 a percent it will be a HUGE VICTORY and a CRUSHING DEFEAT for the Clinton Camp.

I can hear those CNN anchors now "This has got to be a HUGE dissapointment for Hillary" or, conversely "Hillary didn't deliver the decisive blow today, meaning this is a long haul for her with lots of toug contests coming up".

It's laughable, but sad because it's true.

February 5, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  14. Barry

Never ending blather from a talking head.

February 5, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  15. Kiera

I think if Obama Wins all the primars and delagets tonight then it wuld be very hard for Hilery to chatch up

February 5, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. Jeremy

Is it just me, or are 90% of the 'Hillary Lover' comments completely unintelligible? I'm also amazed by the posts from people saying, "OMG, CNN IS IN LOVE WITH OBAMA AND WON'T POST MY NEGATIVE COMMENT ABOUT HIM!" when a majority of the comments on here are anti-Obama.

Get over it Clinton lovers. Just get in line with the other sheep.

Obama '08

February 5, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  17. Valerie

Hi Wolf, thank you for your consistent excellent journalism! As your northern CDN cousins...we will there with you, watching this MOST important election for both of our countries! Go Barack!!

February 5, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  18. JWW

I agree with Peter Wolf. Just think Wolf all this fatigue will be worth it. In the morning you will have Barack almost in office. Your Boss don't seem to care about your performance. Most supervisors would have you under control by now. CNN is about to lose a lot of viewers and then when the boss sees that maybe he will put you back in line like the guy you used to be when he hired you. Most people would consider what you are doing and leading a crooked crime.

February 5, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  19. Stephina

To Lorraine

Yes, I have also noticed the decline in the Stock Markets when Obama has won a primary and the rise of them when Clinton has won.

Obama presents too much uncertainty to the world. European countries do not support Obama. He is popular in Germany and some other parts of Europe with the youths in those nations. However, political support from EU nations is not in favor of Obama. The same holds true for Isreal, who depends heavily on US support.

There are so many other influences that will play a part in the election, so if I were betting money, the final 2 choices will be Clinton & McCain.

February 5, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  20. Robert Vorthman

Holy moly 5 miles everyday! What kind of treadmill do you use that is soft on you knees?

February 5, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  21. Pat

TO PETER......

If Clinton gets the popular vote and looses the delegates,Peter loses
    If Clinton looses the popular vote and gets the delegates, Peter loses
    If Clinton wins the popular vote and wins the delegates, Peter loses

You are too weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 5, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  22. oliver

"Experience and common sense policies should win out. Hillary has great policies and should not be ignored."

Dem08, are you speaking about Iraq ?

February 5, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  23. DAVID M KEATING

WOLF YOU GET IT.

February 5, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  24. Kirk

Look forward to an exciting long night with your professionalism, charisma, and outstanding teams. You guys are absolutely fantastic!

February 5, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  25. ralph davidson

wolf-i dont think this country is ready for obama. go hillary

February 5, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |