February 5th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a long night

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - These very long nights happen every few years. I remember staying up all night in November 2000, wondering out loud on television whether George W. Bush or Al Gore would be the next President. We anchored our coverage that night from the CNN Center in Atlanta. And the next day, I flew to Tallahassee to cover the Florida recount.

Four years later, it was an all-nighter as we watched the results come in, and wondered whether Bush or John Kerry would be the winner. Kerry conceded the next day. We anchored our coverage that night from the NASDAQ headquarters in New York. It was the first time we took advantage of those huge video walls which have since become a hallmark of our CNN coverage.

In 2006, we brought our new generation of video walls to the CNN studios at the Time Warner Center in New York. It was another long night as we saw the Democrats become the majority in both the House and Senate. We took our political coverage to a new level that night.

And now we get ready for what I suspect will be another long night of election coverage.

People are always asking me: How do you prepare for this? My answer is simple. I am always preparing - every single day. I do my homework. I have discovered over the years that if you know your stuff, you will be prepared.

But there is also the matter of preparing physically for what will be a very long night. People always ask me about that. Don’t you get tired? The answer is that I am too pumped up to get tired. Still, I work hard at being ready. The night before, I always get a good night’s sleep. I exercise in the morning. It’s always a great way to start the day. I ran five miles this morning – as I try to do every morning. I eat a healthy breakfast. And the rest falls into place.

- CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. mgb

Word up Wolf -B!
    Can you imagine Wolf running for president?? hehe..I have heard him talk..and he sounds the same even when he is not reading the prompter!..
    "i always look forward to Wolf saying "CNN can now project that Obama is goin to win.." i repeat CNN can now project Obama will win..."

Good job Wolf!..and to the best political team on television..as wolf would put it!
    Good job!

February 5, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  2. Paul, Atlanta

Best biased political team! That's CNN!

February 5, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  3. Kirk

You guys are great!

February 5, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  4. daniel proulx

Keep the good work, Wolf.

This is from a french canadian citizen who won't miss The Situation Room for a million !

February 5, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  5. edward

No wonder you're one of the greatest in our time.Many of us look up to you.Good job Wolf.

February 5, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  6. Josh

Hey Wolf. Just wanted to say keep up the good work. Just wanted to show the Situation Room some love from up here in Canada. Super Tuesday is just as super up here. Can't wait to see the results. Let's go Hillary.

P.S. LOLz for Peter's comment.

February 5, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  7. Al from Westport, MA

Wolf,

Now I see why you are so “Breathless”... “Breathless Blitzer”

Remember when Colin Powel said something to the effect... “Don’t get all breathless on me Wolf.”

Love that Jack Caferty!

Keep up the good work!

February 5, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  8. LC

Uh, oh... Wolf is pumped... that probably means we'll have to listen to the phrase "the best political team on televion" every 30 seconds instead of every 60 seconds! Wolf, if you really were the best political team on television, we would know it – you wouldn't have to tell us after every breath!

February 5, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  9. Big Doug

Peter – Thank you for your comment cause it is right on the mark... CNN has consistently shown that they are for OBAMA.

If it were not for the press and their desire for $$$ and ratings, Obama would not be anywhere near where he is in this race... HILLARY WILL PREVAIL and win the nomination. See you at the Pepsi Center in Denver this August. Go Hillary!

Peter February 5, 2008 4:01 pm ET

This doesn't have to be a long night. I can give you CNN's results right now:

If Clinton gets the popular vote and looses the delegates, Obama wins.
    If Clinton looses the popular vote and gets the delegates, Obama wins.
    If Clinton wins the popular vote and wins the delegates, Obama wins.

February 5, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  10. dj4wrd

For all of you upset with Wolf letting us know about his day and how he preps, relax. He's not on air talking about breakfast. He's mentioned on air to check his blog. So what. It's a loooooooong day. Can you imagine trying to fill an entire day with "We don't know anything yet. We are anxiously waiting for results." That's what's going in this early part of a long day. I highly doubt Wolf will be talking about his blog or breakfast in 4hrs. And to Wolf – nice work! I appreciate your commentary and look forward to a long evening of watching the results. Cereal or eggs this morning? Hopefully a bloody mary to help you through too!

February 5, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  11. HH

Great job on the five miles run.

How fast were you running?

February 5, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  12. Brian

What is this, the Hillary Clinton cry room?!?
    Obama 08!

February 5, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  13. David

It is sort of sad that the news media has drastically changed from something that informed the people to something that is driven by revenues. In the old days it was a given that the news segment was not a money maker. Instead, the news segment was seen more as a public service. Today the news segment is a 24 hour 7 day a week revenue stream.

I do enjoy watching CNN. I was glued to CNN on 9/11. Even so it is still sad that so much energy and time is put into drawing more viewers in order to gain a larger revenue share.

I just hope CNN doesn't try to spin all the numbers that will be reported tonight. Just report the facts, draw some interesting conclusions, and do some interviews. Don't spin the numbers with conjecture and opinion. Leave that up to the actual candidates.

February 5, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  14. Charlotte

Wolf, you will be fine. Obama is not in favor of debates because he is a pulpit politician. His interview with you on Iraq. He said, "I will pull all troops out of Iraq in 16mos." When pressed by you he said "I would keep the opitions open." So, pulpit politics is his forte, questions and answers are not.

February 5, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  15. C

Hey Wolf, you gonna start attacking Clinton again and start blowing sunshine up Mr. Obama's behind? That's a typical day for you and CNN.

February 5, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  16. College girl in Texas

I may not know you politically; but if I don't speak out now, when it counts then I am less than who I should be.
    I believe in Hillary. I would like to see her become the first woman president. I believe that she is the most qualified to:
    1) get us out of Iraq – in a responsible way,
    2) restore our integrity, credibility and prestige internationally,
    3)RESTORE OUR ECONOMY – try to undo some of the terrible unfair tax cuts and stop the horrid budget deficits (NO ONE can EVER claim that this administration was "conservative" – they just spent without paying!!)
    4) put emphasis in public education on federal aid for early childhood education and special education – rather than on test taking
    5) establish fair health care where EVERY citizen benefits and every citizen pays,
    6) and follow and respect our Constitution.

Not that I don't think Obama will try to do some of these things: but he hasn't don't anything yet – just rhetoric. He talks a good game, but when he had to actually dirty himself by actually voting in the Senate to fund the war – he voted to fund it. Sure he spoke out against the war when his vote didn't make a difference. Leading is about making tough decisions, and Obama might be a good leader in the future, but he hasn't done enough to prove to me that he can get us out of the dark hole Bush has left us in.

I can't vote today, (the Texas primary is in March), but you can. Please consider Hillary on her own merits. If you can vote for her today – please do; if you can't, please forward this to someone in one of the 21 states who can.

February 5, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  17. Carl MN

Nice quick blog Wolf.

I suggest all the posters calling Wolf biased to turn back your TV channel to FOX news...

February 5, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  18. Sam

Wolf I am a Die Hard CNN observer but if CNN does not stop talking about todays first exit polls, and then not showing them you are going to lose a lot of observers including me. Stop saying you are going to show exit poll results and just show them.

February 5, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  19. judith rocchio (pronounced like Pinocchio)

Dear Wolf or to whom it may concern:

My daughter in Rome tells me there were CNN reporters covering the big Democrats Abroad rallies today and this evening. She had just come from an exciting rally for Obama. Why aren't you broadcasting any of this?

Thanks,
    Judith Rocchio

Questions for Dems Abroad, ask: Tina Marisa Rocchio @ 011 39 347 744 3094

6 hours ahead.

February 5, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  20. Pharaoh

That's right let's not forget that CNN was riding the "inevitable" nominee wave until Obama won in Iowa. I think he rightly deserves the good press he has gotten. Another thing to consider if you haven't voted yet is republicans will vote if Hillary is the nominee even if they don't like their candidate. I think Obama has a much better chance to win the general election. He is already attracting independents and republicans in open primaries.

February 5, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  21. Wayne, Florida

Since the Democratic party is acting so stupid about not counting their delegates, I want my vote to count. I am a Demorcrat , I am going to fight very hard to have all democrats change to Republican so all people will have a say so.

February 5, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  22. Joe Sunrise Fl

For those accusing CNN of favoring OBAMA, would check POLITICO.com , ABC, FOX or any other network LOL it's not any different. Because it can't be different folks ! The man is just the main subject of discussion LOL Don't blame the networks, Blame is rhetoric, Blame is elegeance, blame is apperance, blame is race, blame is background, blame is abilities to capture people everything that makes OBAMA the "Phenomenon".

Hillary is a good politician guys !!! But can 1 of you tell me why she should get the spolight ? What 's new !?! We've seen and heard about her in the past 16 years right ?

February 5, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  23. Seeking Honest Nominee

Don't underestimate how angry and disgusted many Republicans are with McCain. I've already conversed with over forty republicans who will not support McCain if he wins the nomination. I've heard responses from, "I'll write in a candidate," to "I won't vote at all for President." And yes, I've heard several say "Hillary will get my vote before McCain will – at least you know what you get with her." It's not a conservative or far right problem. It is an honesty, integrity and character problem with McCain. Mavericks may inspire legends but they never inspire trust because they don't use ethical means to get things done – they are mercenary. That's the problem with McCain – anything to win. (West Virginia is a small example.) Many Republicans simply don't want to put another back-room dealing, nasty-tempered crooked-talker in the White House. Been there. Done that. The anti-McCain vote simply doesn't want to make the "Crooked Talker" our President. We'd rather see a Democrat in there than an egotistical, cut-throat, backstabbing politician that we have to be responsible for. Some disenchanted voters may justify it and say, "He is, at least, a Republican, the lesser of two evils." But he is still evil (as in NOT good for the country.) That's what the anti-McCain vote is all about – we simply won't give him our vote.

February 5, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  24. Janette, Honolulu

I've been a moral supporter of CNN until this election! However, clearly CNN wants McCain to win, and reinforces the states that Huckabee and McCain have won, while barely mentioning all the delegates Romney has accumulated and the big states in which he has won by securing a VAST majority of the votes. McCains wins consist of almost ties in states where his military record really matters a lot.
    Liberals are loving Huckabee and McCain right now, because they know Romney is the only chance the Republicans have in a general election!!

Why must CNN underestimate the intelligence of its viewers?!

I nominate Anderson Cooper for president!! The spin stops in the AC zone....but don't get me started with his clearly anti-Romney and pro you-know-who political team!

Janette, Honolulu

February 5, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  25. Ken

Can anyone ever imagine Walter Cronkite talking about himself - pontificating on what he eats for breakfast like it could matter in the least.

We have made the media - even the news media - celebrities, and the news will never be as good as it once was.

Wolf: You are not the point. Fade into the background. Be a non-personality that is focused on what we should be focused on, and that is not you.

February 5, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |