February 5th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a long night

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - These very long nights happen every few years. I remember staying up all night in November 2000, wondering out loud on television whether George W. Bush or Al Gore would be the next President. We anchored our coverage that night from the CNN Center in Atlanta. And the next day, I flew to Tallahassee to cover the Florida recount.

Four years later, it was an all-nighter as we watched the results come in, and wondered whether Bush or John Kerry would be the winner. Kerry conceded the next day. We anchored our coverage that night from the NASDAQ headquarters in New York. It was the first time we took advantage of those huge video walls which have since become a hallmark of our CNN coverage.

In 2006, we brought our new generation of video walls to the CNN studios at the Time Warner Center in New York. It was another long night as we saw the Democrats become the majority in both the House and Senate. We took our political coverage to a new level that night.

And now we get ready for what I suspect will be another long night of election coverage.

People are always asking me: How do you prepare for this? My answer is simple. I am always preparing - every single day. I do my homework. I have discovered over the years that if you know your stuff, you will be prepared.

But there is also the matter of preparing physically for what will be a very long night. People always ask me about that. Don’t you get tired? The answer is that I am too pumped up to get tired. Still, I work hard at being ready. The night before, I always get a good night’s sleep. I exercise in the morning. It’s always a great way to start the day. I ran five miles this morning – as I try to do every morning. I eat a healthy breakfast. And the rest falls into place.

- CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Charlotte

Wolf, please, what ever you do, do not refer to a Hillary win as a beauty contest. That was so male chauvinistic.

February 5, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  2. shawn

Wolf thank you for being "fair and balanced" unlike the other network that doesn't practice what they preach...Thanks again!!

February 5, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  3. Elicka

Hey Wolf–I'm a long term CNN watcher, but lately, it's felt more due to the lack of good alternatives than your good reporting. This "best political team on television" thing. Says who? You need to stop that, as you sound ridiculous, and saying it every three seconds doesn't make it true. More something FOX would do. Or Bush. So, if CNN is looking to promote itself through the repetition of baseless propaganda, instead of being "the most trusted name in news" (there you go again), er, mission accomplished . . .

February 5, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  4. DAVID M KEATING

WOLF YOU GET IT. HE IS A WINNER.

February 5, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  5. S. Hunt

Wolfe, I hope you have plenty of coffee, it is going to be a very long night. Kind of like going into labor, can't wait to see what our citizens have delivered.

February 5, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  6. Gwen F

I am addicted to CNN coverage of the political races. Without CNN and Cspan we could not really be a democracy. An educated electorate, is helping to change politics-Please keep the politicians honest.

Obama 2009

February 5, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. Kristine

After years of watching cable news I finally have to say something about you Wolf.

Your bias towards all conservative moral people in this great country is outrageous. You are my least favorite commentator on CNN. Bias’ in the new media has and always will exist however you are by far off the charts. Your lack of personality and friendliness turns people off. Who hired you? I am a proud republican and hope your candidate Hillary goes down in flames. I have no problem voting for a women but Hillary is not the one. If she were a true feminist she would have dumped her lying cheating husband years ago. I guess she had ulterior motives.

With the amount of time and effort you have put into being prepared each day, why can’t you find time to see both sides. My distain for you is not just aimed at this election but is a result of years of unfair reporting. It is not healthy for me to spend time letting your opinions infuriate me so I will discontinue watching your station but only when you are on.

February 5, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  8. The Dejected American

Having tuned into CNN since the closing bell of todays dismal performance of the stock market, it would appear that there is 5 candidates still in the race.

Wolf, there is 6 candidates still in this race.

February 5, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  9. To all the Hill-Billy's

It's funny that you say CNN is biased because they are focusing on Barack so much....If Hillary was actually doing something rather than normal politicking and breaking out the tears for the camera then maybe they would....In a race of Issues Vs. Character Obama wins on both ends, and to those that just think that Obama is a pulpit politician come to Illinois where directly after he was elected to the senate he was right back out among the community talking to the people and working with the people of Illinois to make things happen....rather than taking a vacation like Hillary.

I'd rather take a chance on someone that follows through on what they say, rather than someone that says what they need to get elected and then changes their plan once they are elected but thats just me... Obama '08

February 5, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  10. Richard Almond

The nature of your questions and commentary in debates and interviews suggests a definite pro-Clinton bias. Are you aware of that? Is that the intent, as part of your careful preparation? For example, the "dream ticket" question to Obama is a clear Clinton message: Hillary is the top position, will you accept Vice President gracefully?

February 5, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  11. Lynn in St. Louis

I hope that CNN will give fair coverage to all the candidates running in the primaries. If you and your reporters (with fancy titles) support a candidate, they should let us know by wearing big buttons so we can decide if what they are saying is reporting or editorializing.

February 5, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  12. Joan

Wolf can show bias against Clinton as he was during the CA debate, and Clinton can set him straight – as she did. I actually flinched when he exhibited such an "unjournalistic" display as he did with his question of her regarding her support of the inspectors at the beginning of the war.

February 5, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  13. JoeyBLS

Hi Wolf,

This is the first election in MANY years that has renewed life into voters and has given new excitement in our election process. Many voters, old and young, will be voting for the first time. As one watches CNN, the words 'conservative' and 'liberal' are thrown around as often as the words 'democrat' and republican'. Can you please explain (on-air) what defines a 'conservative candidate' and what defines a 'liberal candidate'?

JoeyBLS

February 5, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  14. Aaron, NC

Wolf,

Thank you so much for what you do! Keep up the blogging-I love to see the behind the scenes work that you all do.

You truly are the best political team on television!

Aaron

February 5, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  15. Jo Ann

Wolf,
    Glad to see you are keeping yourself fit! Five miles is impressive! Now how about adding some muscle building.

To Peter @ 4:01PM, I am afraid that you might be right, but MSNBC is doing the same thing.

February 5, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  16. Raum

I like Wolf, CNN has the best election coverage hands down.

Obama/Edwards 08!

February 5, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  17. Peace

Please do not come and tell us again the Polls were wrong. Most people trust Zogby Poll and he is very professional on his work.

February 5, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  18. Heidi

I voted this morning. I always hand deliver my absentee ballot to the polling place.

I live in California, in an ultra-conservative small town and I NEVER thought I would see this, but there are OBAMA shirts everywhere. This is a town that went for Tom McClintoc against Schwarzenegger last time... Religious, extreme conservatives.

I voted for Obama.

I am a woman, and for me, everytime I see her speak, I just think she's being dishonest. With Obama, I have a strong gut feeling that he is honest.

I have a 17 year old son who will have to register with the selective service this December and I think that Hillary would say anything to get me vote, but then change NOTHING if elected and so Bush's 14 permanent military bases would become a reality in Iraq, and given the state of the military, they would eventually HAVE TO DRAFT.

I cannot support that for this phony war for Exxon.

February 5, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  19. Kate S

Not sure if you read all these comments, but I wanted to thank you for all your hard work during these primaries. It's amazing how much dedication you all have, and it's very clear how enthusiastic everyone at CNN is about this election. It makes me wish I could work there. I see in your Wiki that you are from Buffalo, which is neat because I went to UB as well. I'm curious as to what your political position is but maybe we'll never know. Thanks again for bringing your excitement to my CNN addiction days! -political junkie in Seattle

February 5, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  20. jonathan

Dear people of the united states,
    In this day and age it is important to remember that there is a war going on ..people have seem to have forgotten..The reason am letting u guys know this is because my brother came home in a body bag today .....We need change in this world and the republics need to get out of office ...My family morns the lost of my brother ....and iam turned off on the election...I hope who ever wins ...bring s home our troops ...lets not forget em ....god bless the USA ......
    support our troops
    not the political crap
    jonathan

February 5, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  21. Silence D

I can't wait for the results to come in tomorrow declaring anyone but Clinton the winner.

SAY NO TO FASCISM! SAY NO TO HILARY!

FREE PEOPLE FOR A FREE AMERICA!

February 5, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  22. Fraudulent Sam

Surging cost of Gasoline Crushing our Economy

As today’s Presidential hopefuls try to face issues, why does this issue remain hidden from the election fore front? Its time that the alternative fuels stop being used for race competition sponsored by companies like Red Bull, Monster Energy, and Mountain Dew.

February 5, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  23. Allison

Jonathan,
    My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your brother. I further more agree that out troops need to be brought home as in our family have lost a cousin on October 4th and still have 5 cousins over there fighting. I have with great confidence that Hillary Clinton will be bringing our troops home after she is elected. Hang in there as this is the most difficult time in your life.. May peace be with you and your family.

February 5, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  24. scout

Wow, are people getting nasty or what? Just an FYI... there is a lot of "editing" and moderation going on here!

February 5, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  25. Luc Vienneau

I just heard you mention that many people around the world are watching this presidential race. As a Canadian, I can speak to this sentiment. It is because your government makes us all a little nervous. With undeclared wars & Patriot Acts & the SPP/NAU, we in Canada especially have a little to worry about.

February 5, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |