February 5th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a long night

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

NEW YORK (CNN) - These very long nights happen every few years. I remember staying up all night in November 2000, wondering out loud on television whether George W. Bush or Al Gore would be the next President. We anchored our coverage that night from the CNN Center in Atlanta. And the next day, I flew to Tallahassee to cover the Florida recount.

Four years later, it was an all-nighter as we watched the results come in, and wondered whether Bush or John Kerry would be the winner. Kerry conceded the next day. We anchored our coverage that night from the NASDAQ headquarters in New York. It was the first time we took advantage of those huge video walls which have since become a hallmark of our CNN coverage.

In 2006, we brought our new generation of video walls to the CNN studios at the Time Warner Center in New York. It was another long night as we saw the Democrats become the majority in both the House and Senate. We took our political coverage to a new level that night.

And now we get ready for what I suspect will be another long night of election coverage.

People are always asking me: How do you prepare for this? My answer is simple. I am always preparing - every single day. I do my homework. I have discovered over the years that if you know your stuff, you will be prepared.

But there is also the matter of preparing physically for what will be a very long night. People always ask me about that. Don’t you get tired? The answer is that I am too pumped up to get tired. Still, I work hard at being ready. The night before, I always get a good night’s sleep. I exercise in the morning. It’s always a great way to start the day. I ran five miles this morning – as I try to do every morning. I eat a healthy breakfast. And the rest falls into place.

- CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. matt childs

Your analysts continue to make the point tonight that Obama has gained considerable ground because he has picked up so much more of the white male vote in georgia than he got in south carolina. Folks, the south is not one homogenous pot of people. Those who live in the south understand that there are HUGE differences in the demographics, cultures, etc in South Carolina vs. Georgia. Georgia, because of the influence of metropolitan Atlanta, is much more cosmopolitan and progressive than south carolina. Except for the fact that the two states are located adjacent to one another on the map, there is not that much similarity. Please.....add some nuance to your reporting. You guys should be better than that.

February 5, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  2. Scott

Wolf:

Obama does not have the experience for the job. And he's smug.
    After 7 years going on 8 with a smug President, I can't bear the thought of another
    "smug" face looking at me from Washington.

But this will all come out in the results, won't it?

by the way – I bet on the Giants! .....and I'm betting on Hillary!

February 5, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  3. Jeffrey, Salt Lake City, Utah

I thought today was about America and the future of our country, not about Wolf Blitzer. Turns out I was wrong. Good to know.

February 5, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  4. wallace colligan

wolf with all the problems this country has domestic and overseas what are these wacky carefree unconcerned people thinking about voting for a guy with no military ,governing background ,and foreign relations of any sorts talk about some flying the airplane thats never been in one wow goes to show you that this country is in a deep sleep and better wake up asap we are literately giving away our country our jobs our souls we do not need another know it all give away guy like obama at this critical time of our country . why don't you ask them real questions on their background , time in service ,overall experience . ,thank you

February 5, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  5. Cheryl Miller

I vote on the issues not race, gender, party or age. I know this was not part of your question but I just heard one of the super delegates say he has pledge to Hillary Clinton before the votes are even counted ,and he would not change his mind because he made a commitment. He should remember his first commitment is to the people of his state. It is a shame for the first time in history we have people interested in Democracy and actually voting in record numbers, many are first time voters. We preach to other countries about Democracy now it's time to prove it. So I strongly urge the super delegates to remember the constitution For the people by the people, so for once do what the majority of the people in your state say to do. I believe our For Fathers never intended for our president to be elected behind closed doors. If this happens I hope someones challenges this constitutionally. And everybody speaks up and takes our country back.

Cheryl

February 5, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  6. Cheryl Miller

Being First Lady is not experience in my book. If that was the case I'm qualified to be a General because I was with my husband giving patties to big wigs, and on several commites during his 21 year career in the Air Force. So if you eliminate that expierience she is in her 8th year as a US Senator. Barack Obama has 8 years as a State Senator and is in his 4th year as a US Senator.

February 5, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  7. KJ

I don't understand how the heck CNN or anyone for that matter can declare a winner when there is only 0% of the votes in! That is ridiculous and I would think poor journalism only to want to be the first to get the word out. Remember years ago when some broadcast company projected a winner when in fact it wasn't FACT! Can you explain this?

February 5, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  8. Bruce Waters

Hey, The Horserace coverage is great, but could you slip in some information?
    My question is: What votes will the Candidate/Senators face before the general election? Have any of them taken a stand? We need leadership BEFORE November. The Bush Deficit Budget, the Permanent Bases without Treaties, and Tax Rebates, to name a few Urgent Legislative Measures.

February 5, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  9. Charles Stoy

Colorado is a caucus state. Not a primary state.

February 5, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  10. Brian Loftus

will someone please tell Wolf that the word is "Project", not "Preject. thx, BJL

February 5, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  11. Joan Perry

People need to stop and think about what this race means. Before the Bush admin took office there was a booming economy, no war, jobs were up and crime was down, now look at the mess the country is in. But you can thank the people who put him into office. So the next time you hear about another life lost, another job gone down the tubes, another crime spree, or the recession, thank a republican!

February 5, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  12. Stephanie

Wolf, it is a shame that when Obama was projected the winner of AL, you definitely took a deep sigh? Were you disappointed? Were is your political objectiveness? Are you able to be objective? By the way, how could CNN & the media declare Hillary the winner of NY, with 0% percent of the vote in? I am a college educated woman, and yet this is nonsensical to me!!!!

February 5, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  13. Teresa

I agree, the stock market fell again today, I believe because of the Primaries. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow seeing as Hillary is doing very well.'
    Go Hillary,

February 5, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  14. Ivy

We love CNN, including Wolf Blitzer, but, are having to watch some of the election results on C-SPAN because CNN isn't showing all of the results which include the candidates who are no longer in the race. It is interesting to many of us to see how people voted in it's entirety, whether the candidate is still in the race or not, and, also to see the actual number of votes. Thank you.

February 5, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  15. Deb Hanes

Jjust a little sick of CNN stuffing Obama down our throats.

If he is meant to win her will.. we do not need you to choose for us.

Thought CNN was better than Fox.. I was wrong.

February 5, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  16. Billy

February 5, 2008 4:01 pm ET

This doesn't have to be a long night. I can give you CNN's results right now:

If Clinton gets the popular vote and looses the delegates, Obama wins.
    If Clinton looses the popular vote and gets the delegates, Obama wins.
    If Clinton wins the popular vote and wins the delegates, Obama wins.
    Ditto for me also................. PS..Wolfs got alheimers or ammaneshia..better get it checked out Wolf....I hate to have to start watching the Faux network

February 5, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  17. Angela

Wolf,

I love watching the Situation Room and I'm staying up with you all night tonight !!!!

Go Hillary!

February 5, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  18. Deborah

Please do not liken tonight to the days/nights when the Bushes stole two presidential elections in 2000 and 2004. That makes no sense.

Wolf, you are a spectacular human being. I only wish that I could someday touch your shoes. I would be so elevated by that action.

Wolf, try a little humility. You are not all that!

February 5, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  19. suzy

I believe the primaries are about voting for who you believe to be the best candidate so of course I had to vote for John Edwards.

February 5, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  20. Lawrence

Keep up the good work Wolf!

February 5, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  21. elaine

Mr. Blitzer, I respect you, and realize that you work very hard now, and have worked hard through-out your career; but you are rather transparent and bias (in my opinion) I lost some respect for CNN after the debate on Jan. 31, 2008.
    You had the "can't help it" transparency. Just thought I'd let you know, for whatever it's worth.

February 5, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  22. Hal

Great Blitzer, thanks for being fair and balance.

Go Obama, "out with the old politics and in with the new politics" Guys. Republicans hopping that Hillary wins because they have lots of baggage on her during the Clinton era, if Obama wins it will be a very great battle against the republicans indeed.

February 6, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  23. Morris Maron

As a Canadian vitally interested in what happens in the US, I have been watcing CNN throughout the primary season. I consider myself a Democrat and would be happy with either Senator Clinton or Obama as the party nominee. What I have noticed this evening in your coverage is a certain bias in the reporting in favour of Senator Obama. Nuances in how you portray videos of their wins, the fact that Obama's name always precedes that of Clinton's and other similar instances. I am disappointed in this lack of professionalism on your part.
    Thank you.

February 6, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  24. Eric

And Wolf continues to say 'PERjected' and not 'PROjected' .. that continued grammatical mispronunciation is frustrating – it's disappointing that Wolf, who earns his paycheck by speaking, CONTINUES to mispronounce this word.

Very distracting – I'm turning off CNN and will read the websites to keep up with results.

February 6, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  25. araya

You doing a wonderful job man
    God bless you