February 5th, 2008

Clinton leading in tight Super Tuesday race for Dems

Sen. Clinton cast her ballot in New York Tuesday.
Sen. Clinton cast her ballot in New York Tuesday.

(CNN) - New York Sen. Hillary Clinton claimed wins across most of the Northeast in Super Tuesday Democratic presidential primaries and split Deep South states with Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, according to CNN projections.

CNN forecast Clinton, the former first lady, to win her home state and neighboring New Jersey - as well as Massachusetts, where the state's two senators and governor had endorsed Obama.

She also was forecast to win primaries in Arkansas - where her husband was governor for more than a decade - and neighboring Oklahoma and Tennessee.

CNN projected Obama would win primaries in Delaware, Connecticut and Illinois, which sent him to the U.S. Senate in 2004. And he notched up substantial wins in heavily African-American Georgia and Alabama, despite extensive support for Clinton among black officials in each state.

The contests spread into the northern Great Plains as the evening went on, with Obama heading for wins in Democratic caucuses in North Dakota and Kansas.

Full story

1. Peggy

Hillary is a smart strong women who will make this country our country again. People need to forget Bills problems If they will admit it we had the best economy we have had in along time when Bill was in office and Hillary will take us there again.

February 5, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  2. Benjamin

How many times am I going to hear the same rhetoric from Obama? The same things over and over and over, and none of it actually means anything. What are you going to change? well, you know, change. What change? I just said, change. And that is? Change. Thanks a lot...that narrows it down from bliss to WWIII.

February 5, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  3. Dem08

As I sit here and listen to Obama's speech, I have never been so angry. When Clinton spoke, she did not attack Obama. Obama is giving a very misleading speech. His attacks are nasty. He says he will put an end to politics of fear, but yet he does just that by trying to convince his followers not to follow Clinton. This is shameful. I am sure everyone will talk about how great this speech was, but are you listening.

Remember, Hillary said nothing negative about Obama, only talking about her plans.

Obama is quickly becoming one of the slickest politicians of our time.

February 5, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  4. Go Obama Go

Hillary Clinton – An idiot who voted for the war in Iraq, didn't leave her husband after he openly cheated on her, and is at times so emotionally unstable she will cry in public (Did someone say Britney?)

February 6, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  5. Robert

What most of the comments here seem to be missing is that either the democrat ticket is going to be Hillery/Obama or Obama/Hillery. The last debate showed us that neither of them hates the other nearly as much as some of the supporters here seem to think!

And as the American people want a true change from the last seven years either ticket will win big in November. So I say, go Hillery AND Go Obama!!

February 6, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  6. Vote4Clinton

Go Hillary Go. You need to clear the mess made by Bushes.

February 6, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  7. Mike, Land O Lakes, FL

Obama has so far won half of the states AL, CO, CT, DE, GA, ID, IL, KS, MN, ND, UT with MO still to close to call!!

Even if he has to loose CL, he would still win more delegates than hilary.

Gobama!!

February 6, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  8. Donna

p.s. I cannot stand the fake "I stand for the woman in every city USA", "the soldier in every city USA" etc. crap...say what you mean and get on with it. OBama, you "yes we can" speech is sounding a little weak tonight. Yes we can "What"? Make your point man!

February 6, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  9. Bama Slama

Change is good donkey!

VOTE OBAMA!!!!

February 6, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  10. Jebin2016

Yipeee!!!!! Now that I see the Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton pattern- this means my favorite politican JEB BUSH will be in the white house in 2018!!!!!!!!

February 6, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  11. Dem08

Mike, you are wrong on the delgates counts. He has won more states( smaller states). Most people will say that the delgates will be even, or Clinton will come out ahead by a small margin.

February 6, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  12. Radical REDNECK

Perhaps the votes in GA should be (dare I say it) RECOUNTED!

February 6, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  13. scotty

just watching all the drama from here in canada.......at least politics there is more interesting.....unfortunately, the dummies up here voted in "our Bush"-Harper...i feel your pain.....but, it seems to me that the Democrats have two solid choices....i find myself leaning towards Hillary because she WILL hitthe ground running her first day in ofice....and having watched several debates now i find Obama to be very eloquent and charismatic, but he lacks the necessary "weight" to be president....i like his message of change, and hope, but i somehow doubt his ability to execute..?.....that's just the impression i get watching all this...as for the whole "family dynasty" in politcs there, so what??.....like Hillary said..."it took one Clinton to clean up after the first Bush, and it WILL take another Clinton to clean up after this one!!!

February 6, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  14. Texan for Hillary

I'd love to see a Hillary/Bill Richardson ticket!!!

February 6, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  15. Ahja

Cabinet posts? Experience begets Experience. I wouldn't want to be President of the US after Bush – but Pie in the Sky desire for "change" won't stand up to a Congress in need of Bi-Partisan Leadership. How Obama is going to accomplish his "change" is usually said AFTER everyone ELSE has put out their insights. Running for President I would like to think he's already prepared his policy or programs. Obama needs seasoning. Hillary has the steadier hand and more connections to change the policies Bush has installed as dictator, decider, within the cozy Lock Step Congress he's been surrounded with for most his terms. He got back in a 2nd term by "deciding" for the War in Iraq. Obama voted "No" – but why? "I knew it was wrong."? No, not good enough. What in your character made this decision when so many people in America wanted to give Bush the chance to use force IF HE as President THOUGHT IT NECESSARY? I didn't, but the rush, and the lack of verifyable information is why I didn't like the idea. We were already in Afghanistan. Once it was decided though, I backed my President. I did think someone was thinking of the troops for body armor and armored Humvees. Not Barack though. Why not? Hillary was. Murtha was. Kennedy was. Troops come first in War. I get the Bills, Authors, Votes Yay, Nay. Obama? None of them. Many American's went with the information given then too. If Obama saw something inherently wrong – what was it? One speech on how bad war is? Who likes war? Hindsight is 20/20. In Politics though it's a 50/50 chance – right/wrong – but how did he come to the decision after reading the Bill? Obama NEVER says specifically. The things he does speak on policy about – and there aren't many policy decisions he states – are an amalgam of what other's have stated before. I always want to be right making decisions also – but how does he, and who does he go to, what questions does he ask, where is his record, why does he want to meet heads of state off the bat without groundwork being layed? On and On. Great attitude and super oratory skills – but getting a sense of his character is a slippery wicket. VP, and Cabinet members,....? John Edwards for VP, Wesley Clarke for Defense, Pat Kennedy for Education? I don't know if that's true or not – but depth of Experience is a question. A question I hope to have answered. I keep listening – but ? Maybe after Hillary says something?

February 6, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  16. Penn state student

I am a penn state student, and i am inspired by Hillary. She will change American for the better and fix the problems that George Bush created in office.

As a college student, I don't have much money, but I just donated 10 dollars to her campaign. I believe in her.

February 6, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  17. Mike, Land O Lakes, FL

Breaking news Obama just got declared as a winner of the MO contest.

February 6, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  18. Rosyani

If I am an American, I would vote for Hillary Clinton. She is smart, and has capacity as well as have a lot of experience to change America in the future. Now is time for America, to make history for a first American women president. Good luck Hillary Clinton and God bless you.

February 6, 2008 03:36 am at 3:36 am |
  19. MARKOJO

WAKE UP AMERICA!,

Stop and Think!
    A DEVIL YOU KNOW IS BETTER THAN AN ANGEL THAT YOU DO NOT KNOW.
    America is based on some values.
    Befor you get a leading position in a Job, Your experience is mandatory for the employer to give initial trust. And before you obtain a loan in the bank, your financial history (Credit) is also crucial to outcome of the decision. More also is your criminal and driving records as well.
    America is presently in bad shape and Fixing this problems will require experience and not experimentations.
    Think

February 6, 2008 06:18 am at 6:18 am |
  20. Jdd-Atlanta

Here she's campaigning at a polling place.

February 6, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  21. IVAN

IF YOU WANT REAL CHANGE, YOU NEED TO CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS. ITS TIME TO LOOK AT THINGS THROUGH A WOMENS PIONT OF VIEW.

HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT