February 5th, 2008

How Clinton, McCain may have won California

(CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton can thank Latino and Asian voters for her projected victory in California. Early exit polls indicate that Sen. Barack Obama carried white voters in California because of his overwhelming support among white men. White women, as in other states, more often supported Clinton. Black voters overwhelmingly favored Obama but Asian voters, whose numbers are comparable to blacks, went overwhelmingly for Clinton. The deciding factor may have been Latinos, who make up roughly 30 percent of California's Democratic vote. They went for Clinton by a two-to-one margin.

UPDATE: Meanwhile, exit polls show Latino and Asian Republicans may also have played an important part in John McCain's victory in the GOP primary. Mitt Romney led among white Republican voters but McCain led among Latinos and Asians, the second- and third-largest voting blocs behind whites among California Republicans.

Related: CNN Analysts say Super Tuesday didn't distinguish Democratic candidates

Filed under: California • Hillary Clinton
  1. Arielle

I still don't know how they can call California – we've been told locally it would take possibly 24 hours to count all the ballots, not to mention this so called "Bubble Trouble", where declined-to-state had to ink a dot saying "yes, this ballot full of democratic candidates is the ballot I actually want to vote with".

I read the instructions, so I'm okay, but I don't think everyone did. They may have felt "Well, DUH", and not bothered. The polling place I was at did NOT say we need to press it – I happened to read everything since I was a first time voter in CA.

While Obama would probably suffer more if these votes are disallowed due to the surge, it would also affect other democrats.

Either way, this "proportional" system is just awkward – it's just a mess.

As for the results, outside of Arkansas, it looks like Obama has a much more rounded national base – he got the "liberal northeast" state of Connecticut, yet also pulled in Kansas, and The Way Out Thar state of Alaska. This can't look good for Hillary – the only reason she's ahead right now is from all those superdelegates. She's going to have to shore up her female voter base AND be able to move beyond the so called "liberal female voter" – otherwise she'll get nowhere in the Midwest.

Not that I would ever tell her this, as I have no intention of voting for her.

February 6, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  2. rick from wisconsin

If Hillary wins the democratic race, i will vote republican. I am a diehard democrat but i refuse to go backwards. NO MORE CIGARS.... WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE.. CLINTONS AGAIN ???? VOTE REPUBLICAN.... I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SAY THAT...

February 6, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  3. Tom

To all those voting for Mc Cain, here's to another 8 years of Iraq war, economic mess, recession & billions in deficits. If you want that, go for it!

BUT WE, THE CLINTON SUPPORTERS, will not allow that! GO HILLARY!

February 6, 2008 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  4. greg

As an Australian with a keen interest in U.S. politics, I hope that Hillary Clinton wins the Democrat nomination and the Presidency. Why ?. I believe Hillary Clinton is not only the best candidate for the U.S., but she is the best candidate for the rest of us who rely on a strong U.S.economy and sensible,balanced foreign policy to help sustain common sense outcomes in a increasingly difficult world.
    Barack Obama is a very smart and talented man. He is however very young and inexperienced and I think 8 years as a VP would serve him and the U.S. to the best collective advantage.
    Based on our local experience, I also have considerable misgivings about politicians who are so enthusiastically supported by Rupert Murdoch and his minions.
    Regardless of who is successful, Good Luck America.

February 6, 2008 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  5. david

look at the results carefully. clinton is mostly winning in states and among constituencies the Democrats should carry in November no matter who's on the ticket, while Obama is doing very well in states (primaries as well as caucuses) that have gone red. the Obama campaign's argument about relative electability is actually vindicated. this doesn't bode well for hillary in November - or for the Democrats should they nominate her.

February 6, 2008 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  6. rick from wisconsin

HILLARY WINS ...VOTE REPUBLICAN.. I'M 100% DEMOCRAT, BUT NO WAY CAN I VOTE FOR HER.. NO WAY

February 6, 2008 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  7. I endorse Hillary

Please don't yell "yes we can". So sick of it, really
    Goooo Hillary!

February 6, 2008 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  8. jeanette

I am half Native American, and sick to death of the bickering between Latino and Black voters. At least your numbers are growing, so quit whinning.

February 6, 2008 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  9. merlin

seems like latinos and asians do care more about the future of america... why? Because weve seen politics and promises in our country, that's why we don't want that to happen in the U.S.
    GO HILLARY
    Oprah, go back to your talk show....

February 6, 2008 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  10. Geraldine Ciesielski

Did anyone watch Good Morning America Monday? Michelle obama said she couldn't support Hillary if she got the nomination. Why didn't she say that before the debate on cnn. If Bill or Hillary said this they would make headlines. I will stay home before i vote for him. The media is afraid to cover this.

February 6, 2008 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  11. S in NC

Reading the post the past few weeks. I have notice that all the Hillary Supporters use the same hatered and slander in their post to express their pont of view, and its getting very old. Where as the Obama supporters use logic and facts in a positive tone. I guess birds of a feather flock together. Having hope is not a bad thing, and having a choice is not a bad thing. The facts are the facts. Obama is getting momentum. Within the past month Obama has had more prominent individuals and organizations support his canidecy than Hillarys has, and I am sure that more support is yet to come for Obama. Another fact that cant be denied is that Obama has won more states than Hillary. Race is not factor because he won in predominatly white areas like North Dakota, Utah, Iowa and Idaho. Therefore, the country has spoken and its time for change. Instead of being scared and using slander and hatred to express your ideas. Look at the fact that America is changing and embrace the truth that voters want something new that is positive and not negative.

February 6, 2008 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  12. kori34

Its not over yet.. Obama is the better candidate with a more realistic solution to fixing America! Go Obama!

February 6, 2008 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  13. Fernando

I'm an Independent voter that is for Obama. If Hillary gets nominated then me and the rest of my family is staying home for the general elections. We all know that the moderate Republicans will then vote for GOP. Hillary is the down fall of the Dems. History seems to be repeating itself because this country doesn't elect the right person for the job, look at the last 8 years. They voted Bush in twice! We are bound to fall like past great nations.

February 6, 2008 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  14. Jose Card - Independent

Women's tears work wonder for Latinos.
    Hillary speaks the language of tears, not Spanish.

Asians just love Hillary.
    Only the Clintons know why the Chinese just love to give them money every day if possible.

McCain has been looking forward to running against Hillary for a long time.
    If Hillary does win the nomination, he will have a grand time.

February 6, 2008 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  15. SMK

I am not a Republican however I have to admit that I loved Paul's comments during the last Republican debate.... whereby he stated that the stimpulous plan will not help the U.S. economy, it will only help the Communist Chinese economy..... can you picture it.... the U.S. Government will need to BORROW the money from presumably the Communist Chinese....(as if 9 trillion is not enough debt) and then the very people that will receive the stimulous will go out and buy a pair of Communist Chinese made shoes or some other Communist Chinese made item that they don't need. Wake up America, the well is dry and the Communist Chinese are laughing all the way to the bank.

February 6, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  16. joe, chicago

Obama performed better in the last debate. The last thing Hillary wants to do is have a repeat performance– well, maybe just to throw in a shameless plug at the end for her TV event, like last time.

The more the US gets to know Barack, the more they like him, the more people vote for him, the more they realize we have to step forward and progress and the politics of old just won't do! I am sick of having a divided country, divided house, divided senate... Hillary polarizes this country further if she ends up being the nominee. With Barack we have a chance to repair our Country and get to work.

February 6, 2008 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  17. BobbyJ

Why are California democrats shooting themselves in the foot here?

February 6, 2008 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  18. JA

I still cant understand how someone like Sen Obama can hoodwink this many people... come on people everyone is hooked on the the rhetoric and asthetics of change but a large number of people cant seem to get past Sen Barrack Hussein Obama's hot air! if he gets the nomination, i'm going republican....

February 6, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  19. stevem

Oprah,go back to endorsing books! Your time on the obama campaign trail has come to a halt!

There are alot of women out here that are smarter than you. They can recognize a serious qualified candidate when they see one. Oh! and by the way, it happens to be a woman just like you>

Congradulationjs HIllary, you deserved it especially with all the negativity thrown your way.

I was an undecided voter, but now I think I know where I'm going.

Good work! Were all rooting for you!

February 6, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  20. DR WIEKK

I am so happy for the Clinton Camp. Once again, Hillary showed up to show out..

Hillary 2008

February 6, 2008 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  21. John Smith

Talk about Hillary winning Big is really quite a shame!!

As an independent, I carefully looked back at all the polls since this campaign started. Poll after poll had Hillary in DOUBLE DIGITS!!! I could not find a SINGLE state where either Edwards or Obama was ever in the lead!!

To date, Obama won MORE states (14 plus) than Hillary. How could this be a BIG win for Hillary?

Moreover, who really believes that Independents and moderate Republicans can EVER come out to vote for rather than against Hillary? Give me a break!! Hillary can have CA and NY, but I doubt how she can win any of the Southern states in theClinton won 52-43 among those who didn't graduate from college.

Obama beat Clinton 54-42 among those with a college degree.

–Clinton had a 5-point edge among Democrats, while Obama had a 21-point lead among independents.

February 6, 2008 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  22. kori34

And lets not forget all of those independent voters that would have definitely voted for Obama today.. If they were able to vote today there would have been a considerable difference in several states.. In Obama's favor!

YES WE CAN!!!!

February 6, 2008 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  23. Tara

It is so funny when Obama supporters keep threatening Democrats by saying "I am a hardcore Democrat or I am a Democrat for whole life, but I will vote Republican if Hillary wins the nomination ..."

February 6, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  24. Rob

Well, it's been a long night, and a good night for both Democratic candidates. Denver should be an interesting place around the time of the DNC....

February 6, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  25. basumatika

Gloria watch out ur words! on California ! Now Hillary has won,u r going into debate,ha! I have to understand why white americans r anti Hillary! What has she done wrong? Everyone is beating her up for no reason. I honestly feel bad for her. I guess tAmericans like to see women only in strip clubs! Honestly,i have never come across as many as strip clubs as USA in my world travel. No wonder,Asians & hispanics who always respect women have voted for Hillary! Don't get carried away by Obama bubble! If it bursts like housing market,u have no where to go! Great orators r not always great leaders! GRow up America

February 6, 2008 02:26 am at 2:26 am |