February 5th, 2008

How Clinton, McCain may have won California

(CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton can thank Latino and Asian voters for her projected victory in California. Early exit polls indicate that Sen. Barack Obama carried white voters in California because of his overwhelming support among white men. White women, as in other states, more often supported Clinton. Black voters overwhelmingly favored Obama but Asian voters, whose numbers are comparable to blacks, went overwhelmingly for Clinton. The deciding factor may have been Latinos, who make up roughly 30 percent of California's Democratic vote. They went for Clinton by a two-to-one margin.

UPDATE: Meanwhile, exit polls show Latino and Asian Republicans may also have played an important part in John McCain's victory in the GOP primary. Mitt Romney led among white Republican voters but McCain led among Latinos and Asians, the second- and third-largest voting blocs behind whites among California Republicans.

Related: CNN Analysts say Super Tuesday didn't distinguish Democratic candidates

Filed under: California • Hillary Clinton
  1. San Francisco Voter

Mary wrote:
    No, Clinton DID win California! All that shucking and jiving by Oprah fell flat in California – maybe Obama should get a new slogan "Hype We Don't Believe In".

Mary,
    Perhaps you should go crawl back under the rock from which you came. It's precisely that racist attitude that White Voters in California were able to overcome. Too bad we can't say the same for everyone.

February 6, 2008 02:26 am at 2:26 am |
  2. Baron

Has anyone noticed the absentee ballot effect ? almost 1 million votes had been cast by absentee ballots long before the latest Obama surge.

I say , time is on Obama side. The result tonite shows that Obama will beat Hillary the longer this thing goes on.

February 6, 2008 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  3. Stanley

You go Girl! I'm pandering to the female vote! I'm pandering to the female vote! I'm pandering to the female vote! I'll bring universal health care, just like my husband promised when he was running! I'll bring universal health care, just like my husband promised when he was running! I'll bring universal health care, just like my husband promised when he was running!

I'll win the general election, because I'm very popular with Republicans and Indipendents! I'll win the general election, because I'm very popular with Republicans and Indipendents! I'll win the general election, because I'm very popular with Republicans and Indipendents!

Yeah, you go girl. GO straight to hell. You can meet the Dem party down, there, too. Cause if you think anybody but Hispanics and White democratic women are going to be excited about your nomination, should you win, then you really are crazy.

February 6, 2008 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  4. Adam

Al Gore is set to endorse Obama.

Obama won the VAST majority of the states tonight, and the delegates will come out even.

He's going to win in Maryland (where I am) – believe me. He'll then win in D.C. and Virginia.

Barack Obama will be the nominee within the next two weeks.

To Hillary's supporters: don't be blind. Do the math.

She's dust.

February 6, 2008 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  5. Roland

No, what decided tonight was the 40% of the vote which was mailed in several weeks ago when Hillary Clinton was popular. Obama actually won the voters that decided in the last 3 days.

February 6, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  6. Dan

I and many of my active military friends will never vote for McCain if nominated by our party. Although we support him as a war vet, we will never support him for a Whitehouse bid. He has simply become out of touch with the soldiers of today. He and other foolish Republican Senators have got to be replaced if anything should get done in DC. Romney was my candidate. He was articulate and had an actual plan. McCain had candy coated words and will not improve our economic condition or be firm on immigration.

February 6, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  7. Mike

Looks like the Hillary victories are going to put McCain in office...Wow, can't believe we are going to have another 4 years of Republican rule! Because white men are not going to vote for Hillary...most black men probably will not vote for her either, and outside of California and Florida the number of legal Latinos that can vote is very small. The number of Asians is even smaller...Four more years.

February 6, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  8. Bo

i didn't even have to read the article – maybe they're the best candidates!!!!

February 6, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  9. ddrbc

Okay, so it's not about race or gender despite the numbers:
    60% of whites for Obama
    80% of blacks for Obama
    80% of asians for Clinton
    70% of latinos for Clinton

Let's look at the economics: For the white votes, Clinton took it for those making $35,000 and under while Obama had the votes for those making $150,000 and over.

Who's the candidate that best represents the vast majority of Americans struggling to get by?

The Democrats never fail to disappoint when it comes to shooting themselves in the foot. Their hatred for Clinton knows no bounds. Despite her alleged win in California, the race is not over. The Democrats would rather split their party down the middle than rally support behind her.

As an independent, I'd love to vote for the Democrats, but they just can't get it together....

February 6, 2008 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  10. Justin

Asian-Americans for Clinton. Asian-Americans for McCain.

February 6, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  11. Asian voter in CA

Asians support Hillary because she is intelligent, experienced, and a hard worker. Whatever differences we have, we want someone who can do the job.

February 6, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  12. San Francisco Voter

Mark from Louisville,

One more thing as I laughed at your text: As of 4 weeks ago, YOUR campaign said that this race would be over by Feb 5. Care to spin that?

According to YOUR campaign's spin, Senator Obama is a one-term Senator with no experience. How did he win more states than the wife of a 2-term former President who had overwhelming institutional support and $100 million of lobbyist money coming into the past month? HOW is that POSSIBLE?

February 6, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  13. eat it

I know CA likes to think it matters, but in the end, who is going to swing the General Election into Democrat hands, the coastal blue-always states that Clinton won, or middle and southern America that tend to vote red, but are overwhelmingly blue this time around? The Idaho and Kansas rednecks aren't going to go blue for Hillary, but they will for Obama. California, NY, NJ etc will vote blue regardless, so it's really in our best interest to see Obama win the nom. I know I'll stay at home if I have the choice between Giant Douche Hillary or Turd Sandwich McCain.

February 6, 2008 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  14. stevem

And you want Obama to be our next president...........Obama who majored in political science in international relations at Columbia University, has repeatedly claimed to be the most knowledgable Democratic candidate in the area of foreign affairs.

On the 7th of August, 2007, during the Democratic Party presidential debates,Obama was asked if he would scrap the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) as president.

His response was that he would "immediately call the president of Mexico (and) the President of Canada" to discuss the issue.

Of course, Canada has no "President", but a Prime Minister.

This gaffe further shows Obama's unfamiliarity with foreign nations--even our next door neighbor--proving his unsuitability to lead our country during an era where foreign policy will be of prime importance.

February 6, 2008 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  15. jstbnme

Mark C Asheville NC

Just wait and see, Race is a part of our history, and it does count, and some day it will count even more and an african american may or probably will be the pesident of our great nation, just not yet, but I am just being honest, your being blind...look at the State with the greatest diversity in the nation, CA. how large was the margin even with all the endorsments...

February 6, 2008 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  16. Anthony

Dusacre,

I hope you're right and that the vast majority of Americans are peope with a good judgement. I just hate to remember that a lot of these people with good judgements also gave us Bush for the last 8 years...

February 6, 2008 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  17. shaun

Just look at the map..obama won practically won every thing out there, but just lost a state that has more delegates. clinton is going down in the next coming weeks and it's going to be so sweet...

off with hillary and all her gender bias white women votes..

February 6, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  18. Alex

I can see it now, get ready to trade in your dollars for the Amerro! whether its President McCain or one of the other Democrats. Its coming people, new America, for better or worse.

February 6, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  19. Todd T.

Obama's time has come to realize that Hillary is the only real choice for the nomination. In our history, when has a social movement – as Obama declares his campaign is running – lead to a Presidency. Obama needs to save his movement efforts to unite his supporters to support the real candidate for change. Hillary has secured the states that matter to the Democratic party and she has the momentum to carry her to the democratic nomination. Hillary's only campaign worry is that Obama's liberal ideologies may be adopted by another liberal republican like John McCain, perhaps as his vice president on a republican or independent ticket. Amnesty, non-documented drivers license, gasoline taxes to support a unilateral effort to control global warming, and other ideologies Obama has similiar with McCain, not to mention having an identical voting record with Hillary to fund our troops who are in harms way. It amazes me that none of the Republican candidates have emphasized Obama's extreme liberal voting record in the last 3 years, since he has been a Senator. Like Ted Kennedy likes to quote " you are not a Jack Kennedy". Thanks Ted for your support.

February 6, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  20. SMK

Rick from Wisconsin if you are such a huge Democratic supporter how can you state that you will foolishly vote Republican if Hilary wins the Democratic ticket. I suppose you want another 100 more years in Iraq and an indefinite body count that would pale in comparison to any other war in history. When was the last time America had a surplus budget, a favorable Foreign Policy, record jobs and less poverty???? When the Clintons were in office. No matter how much distain you have for the ridiculous cigar incident put it in the past... that was over a decade ago. Within the last eight years the Republicans have managed to destroy the country.

February 6, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  21. Amy

Although by polls I am not a Obama voter, I for the first time voted this early in the race. I am a white female and I voted Obama, but If Clinton gets the nomination I will not vote Democratic in Nov. I will support a third party instead or write in for Obama. And although that may put a republican in office for another 4 yrs, which will undoubtedly cause us to have further forien policy issues, I do not see how Clinton who's Husbands affair made us the laughing stock of other countries would be any better in that regard. And ok I'm female and I'm all for womens rights, there are countries and plenty of them that do not believe women should be in power, and how will that improve our situation in this world. Obama would be the first candidate and in my opinon the only candidate that is worth voting for, if for no other reason than diplomatic relations in the state that they are we Need more diversity that others can accept, not diversity that will be rejected.

February 6, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  22. Dem 1

I will vote democrat no matter who gets the nomination but I don't understand how people can look past Obama. He really does stand for change and he excites and inspires the American public and young voters like no other candidate since JFK. Clinton may have taken California but younger voters are making their voices heard and change is inevitable.

February 6, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  23. James

At least Californians have got it right unlike most of the country. The latinos and asians are right on with this and people should realize that this is not just about who Oprah wants to win or about race or sex. It's about who is best to run this country and it's not Obama.

February 6, 2008 02:41 am at 2:41 am |
  24. Chacha

Here's my reaction to Ms. Delegate count-

Ms. Delegate Count wrote" Did they check to make sure all of the Latino voters were citizens? I can't believe I am writing this, but…."

Ms. Delegate count,

I think what you wrote was really caustic, offensive, and racist.

February 6, 2008 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  25. TH

Hillary Clinton is winning the states that will go to the Democrats in November come hell or high water. Barack Obama is winning the states that are traditionally Republican but would go to the Democrats if he is the nominee. Looking at the electoral maps from 1992-2004, I really hope he wins the nomination.

February 6, 2008 02:45 am at 2:45 am |