February 5th, 2008

How Clinton, McCain may have won California

(CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton can thank Latino and Asian voters for her projected victory in California. Early exit polls indicate that Sen. Barack Obama carried white voters in California because of his overwhelming support among white men. White women, as in other states, more often supported Clinton. Black voters overwhelmingly favored Obama but Asian voters, whose numbers are comparable to blacks, went overwhelmingly for Clinton. The deciding factor may have been Latinos, who make up roughly 30 percent of California's Democratic vote. They went for Clinton by a two-to-one margin.

Related: CNN Analysts say Super Tuesday didn't distinguish Democratic candidates

Filed under: California • Hillary Clinton
  1. jon j

Math question ...
    Hillary start this campaign 1992. Obama after Iowa. 1-0 for Obama in my book

Hillary can win only blue states. Obama can win red states and gets blue if elected
    2-0 for Obama.

Economy:
    Regan gives Bill only super power country (USA) in the world on plate, economy gets boost (my way or highway policy). Obama gets -3T in deficit if elected.
    Hillary wins this one :)

Health care:
    Hillary : 10 years in making 0 result (you think that is gonna work this time)
    Obama : I will be very happy if he gets 10% working
    no winner for this one

Total : 2-1 for Obama

February 6, 2008 04:11 am at 4:11 am |
  2. grace

Shame on you Obama fans who refuse to support Hillary if she ends up winning the nomination.

Would you really vote Republican over Hillary Clinton? Argh.

Grace
    *Hillary fan who would fully support Obama if he is nominated*

February 6, 2008 04:12 am at 4:12 am |
  3. Drive The Nation

First of all...

Barack Obama isn't even close to being "through"... Sorry Hillary Clinton fanatics, but she can only run on her husband's success as a former President for so long, until someone like Obama can gain enough popularity and respect to convince America that he is electable and a serious contender for the Democratic Nominee.

California's total vote count still isn't completely done, but as the last votes are being counted, Barack is closing the gap little by little with enough percentage points, to win big congressional districts, which results in enough deligates to curb Hillary's win here in California. Since California's deligates are allocated proportionally, Hillary doesn't get all of the 441 deligates, which means Barack can make up the difference in other states to come. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Also, take into consideration that there were a lot of votes that went toward Edwards and Kucinich that would've otherwise went to Obama in the early Primary mail-in ballots, but since Edwards and Kucinich dropped out earlier than expected- those potential Obama votes are out there and not counted toward anything- and basically a margin of votes that aren't really counting for anything, including my vote- and my fiance's vote. I know there's probably hundreds of thousands of votes that didn't count in this Democratic Primary, because half of the Democratic Candidates dropped out before Super Tuesday. Had I known Edwards would've dropped out, I would've voted for Barack Obama.

As for the Hillary Campaign, though I prefer her over any Republican, I feel like it's just the bandwagon, and that America needs to move away from the Bush, Clinton dynasty, and put their faith in a younger visionary who can direct policy toward a more liberal agenda, which is what the core Democratic spirit covets.

Don't vote for someone because their Black, don't vote because she's a woman, and don't vote because she's more popular and because her husband was a great President, vote for the BEST candidate, and it's not Hillary- who takes lobbyist money and bribes, and is a career politician- and WILL compromise American interests for political gain.

As for California, I'm disappointed to see so much support for Hillary. I expected New York, but I figured Californian's would be able to see through her. I'm prepared to stand behind her if she defeats Obama for the Nomination though.

Republicans WANT her to win, because they know they stand a chance against her in the general election in November. They probably have negative adds ready to go right now...

February 6, 2008 04:17 am at 4:17 am |
  4. DP

Politics as usual
    People still afraid to change

Bush

February 6, 2008 04:18 am at 4:18 am |
  6. Drive The Nation

February 6, 2008 04:19 am at 4:19 am |
  7. DP

McCain

another war monger

for the surge and that is about it

You go to war with the army you have not the army you wish you had

Four years of McCain = Four years of Bush

except worse

February 6, 2008 04:20 am at 4:20 am |
  8. Garth

This is an example of how divided asians/hispanics are from blacks. Asians & hispanics are not trusting of a black man for president, so they will vote opposite.
    I don't blame them. Then there are white men who feel they are lowering themselves to vote for a female so therefore they will hand their votes over to a articulate black man who isn't black enough.

February 6, 2008 04:21 am at 4:21 am |
  9. Beto

"UPDATE: Meanwhile, exit polls show Latino and Asian Republicans may also have played an important part in John McCain's victory in the GOP primary. Mitt Romney led among white Republican voters but McCain led among Latinos and Asians, the second- and third-largest voting blocs behind whites among California Republicans."

I am a legal Hispanic voter. Because the GOP has branded itself as anti-Hispanic, my vote remains Democratic. In the case of the few Hispanic voters who are GOP, they voted for McCain out of graditude for what he tried to do with the recent immigration bill.

February 6, 2008 04:22 am at 4:22 am |
  10. John

I have bit my tounge far too long now. I am 63 and had a single caucasion mother to love and raise me . It wasn't easy as her family disowned her and the town wasn't any better to any of us, and it still isn't, and it's in Pa. My point is this. Obama is not the first Afro-American to run for president. Now that we have a viable canidate it is ask is he black enough? Is he too black? The blacks are all voting for him because he is black, etc.
    I would like to say 2 things. First: as a black American veteran I am interested in the security of my country, I am even interested in the economy. The second thing is ...Why do we have to even discuss why we are voting for this black man. I remember most elections since Ike and I never heard a "white " ask or answer was he voting for the mans race,. the closest to it was asking about JFK being a catholic. I have never heard in all the elections I have lived through such as this. I think the media should stay with the issues. It seems apparent that Obama has won states that have almost no blacks and that settles the question. They eveidently must think he has values and concerns that we are all concerned about.
    My other gripe is why spend millions to build a wall? Didn't we just have the beloved republican President Reagan say "Tear down that wall" How can we tell others not to have nukes etc yet we can have them and build walls too?

February 6, 2008 04:22 am at 4:22 am |
  11. dan viger

Go Away OBAMA..and take Oprah with you!! God! I'm disgusted with Oprah to the enth degree!

February 6, 2008 04:24 am at 4:24 am |
  12. Independent voter

Hillary was leading in CA by 30 points a few weeks ago.. only half of CA voters voted on Tuesday Feb 5, and with 67% of the vote reported now, Hillary is leading by 13% points only.. This clearly shows that had all californians cast their vote on Feb 5, Obama would have won. This is further evidenced by the fact that Edwards is now carrying 5% of the vote while he's been out of the race for several days..

February 6, 2008 04:25 am at 4:25 am |
  13. Val For Hill

CNN has some nerve... What will CNN do when Clinton wins and they have to start supporting the democratic voters after their anti-Hillary articles? I thought that America was aloud the news... The real non bias, free to decide for yourself, news! Hillary Won California. She is in the lead. Give her some credit.
    I love the race is not an issue among Obama supporters, but it is with the uneducated Latino and Asian communities. WOW! Well it is no wonder the media follows around Obama because its the same media that follows around Britney...
    They filter these comments too, so I bet this one will get left out due to "high volume"
    Clinton08!

February 6, 2008 04:26 am at 4:26 am |
  14. MacMo

I know why Asians voted for Clinton and not Obama. I went to school with lots of Asians and I know about their mentality concerning race. If you're voting based on intelligence, then I think it's Obama. Go find out from Harvard. Maybe if Asians say they voted for Clinton bcz she's intelligent, then they're not be honest with themselves. Maybe They can say they voted for her bcz of her so-called 35 yrs experience but not intelligence. The race is not ye ended. We have MD, DC, VA, etc where Asians and Latinos do not matter so much.

February 6, 2008 04:26 am at 4:26 am |
  15. R.C.

Both candidates won tonight, and yes, Hillary won Cali (thanks worthless absentee ballots, I but J.Edwards was flatered), but the simple fact is this. Obama won MORE states, not just hand me down status quo Dem. states but the battleground states as well. Hillary will spin this as a huge win, but as I type, Cali is becoming less and less impressive for Hillary. The fact I am seeing posts saying "Obama should concede" is absolutly appaling and IGNORANT! Who knows, maybe Obama supports will be saying the same thing to you after next Sat.? Pledged delegate count is equal/Obama edge. Superdelagets are uncommited until the convention. Chew on that for a bit. By the way, you telling us we can't, well, it gets me FIRED UP!

February 6, 2008 04:27 am at 4:27 am |
  16. hugo

All you Obama fans out there where the hell is the change he's talking about?. And why are you guys attacking the asians and the latinos.....you black americans can learn something from these group. (vote with you head, not the color of you skin or your a_s). you black americans always putting all your eggs in one basket.

by the way: i am a educated black man.

February 6, 2008 04:28 am at 4:28 am |
  17. michael

Opra came to california to endorce Obama, because she feels God mother .
    Carolyn Canady thinks she is loving princes of american royal family, even the whole familty could not get votes in their own state. think about it, that how voters are smart.

February 6, 2008 04:30 am at 4:30 am |
  18. Steve

I must say it does not bode well for the Dems that they will likely have their nominee chosen based upon super delegates. What happened to their argument of every vote counts in 2000? I suppose every vote counts and some count far more than others. Obama is in first place if you eliminate the super delegates. I also find that his argument that he can win over everyone who voted for Hillary but that she cannot come close to winning over everyone who voted for him to be a rather good point. Too many people hate Hillary for her to have a chance at winning a national election.

February 6, 2008 04:31 am at 4:31 am |
  19. Terrell Newkirk CA

She won because some people had already vote. They vote for her because of her name(Bill Clintion wife). That name will not matter anymore. This is a small victory Hillary. When people get to know Mr. Obama the vote for him. So, Hillary you won the battle but Mr. Obama will win the war. I will see all you Hillary fans in two weeks when there no NY(state senator),AR(First lady) or CA(people out here love Bill) all Hillary strong holds. Mr. Obama split super Tuesday which is great for him.

People for change
    Mr. Obama

February 6, 2008 04:32 am at 4:32 am |
  20. hugo

don't worry chacha! we live in a america the and of sexcist and racist. got me thinking american men mother happen to be (MEN.) and they talk about how the middle eastern men cheat there women........wow

February 6, 2008 04:33 am at 4:33 am |
  21. European

To Amy who wrote: "I do not see how Clinton who's Husbands affair made us the laughing stock of other countries"

In other countries it was not Bill Clinton who made us laugh, but the whole investigation that just seemed ridiculous and so out of proportion! Overseas Clinton still is a well respected man as is Al Gore.

February 6, 2008 04:35 am at 4:35 am |
  22. Marc

Everybody needs to take a deep breath and step back for a moment. For the first time in history, we have both an African-American and a female as serious contenders for a major party nomination for president (all due respect to Shirley Chisholm). When I think about what that means to our country, what it says about us as a people, I actually get a little misty-eyed. Barack and Hillary are BOTH stellar candidates (who actually differ very little platform-wise) and I for one will be thrilled and honored to give my wholehearted support to whichever one wins the nomination, particularly if the winner chooses the other candidate as a running mate.

Come together
    Right now

(BTW, in case anyone's interested, my first choice is for Barack to be president.
    In around 8 years. ;- )

February 6, 2008 04:39 am at 4:39 am |
  23. ALICE

GO HILLARY!!!!

I FOR ONE DO NOT WANT SOMEONE IN THE WHITE HOUSE WITH THE NAME BARACK HUSSIN OBAMA. REMEMBER 9/11 AND RESPECT THE MEMORY OF THOSE WHO DIED THAT DAY IT WAS HIS PEOPLE THAT DID THAT.HILLARY WILL MAKE AN EXCELLENT PRESIDENT AND I THINK IT IS TIME FOR A WOMAN TO LEAD US. I WILL VOTE FOR HILLARY AND SUPPORT HER AS MUCH AS I CAN AND I AM A SENIOR CITIZEN ON A FIXED INCOME. WE NEED HEALTHCARE FOR EVERYONE AND IF YOU WOULD LISTEN TO SOME OF THE EXPERTS ON THIS HER PLAN IS BETTER THAN OBAMAS AND EVERYONE WOULD HAVE INSURANCE WHERE OBAMAS LEAVE OUT MORE THAN 50 MILLION AND HIS COSTS AS MUCH OR MORE THAN HILLARYS.SHE KNOWS HER STUFF. SHE WILL BRING CHANGE GIVE HER A CHANCE.DON'T BELIEVE THE FAIRY TALE OBAMA IS GIVING YOU

February 6, 2008 04:40 am at 4:40 am |
  24. MacMo

It's very laughable for people to say Repubs will vote for Obama and then vote for a Repub nominee in the general. That'll be very foolish. I think Repubs are also concerned about whoever is elected and wll not crossover if they're serious Repubs. This Democratic race is far from over. I believe the Latinos and the Asians will be shamed by 02/12.

February 6, 2008 04:41 am at 4:41 am |
  25. Sola

Is it true that Obama was not in the US senate when the senate conducted a vote on the Iraq war? If it is true, how could he have voted against the war if he was not there? Could he have voted in favor if he was there in the light of all phoney evidence provided by the Bush administration?

How come the television networks have not investigated this matter? I agree its quite possible to be against the war like so many Americans but its not possible for all Americans to vote at the Senate with regards to Iraq war.

I know Obama arrived the US senate in 2005 but do not really know when the vote was conducted.

February 6, 2008 04:41 am at 4:41 am |