February 5th, 2008

How Clinton, McCain may have won California

(CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton can thank Latino and Asian voters for her projected victory in California. Early exit polls indicate that Sen. Barack Obama carried white voters in California because of his overwhelming support among white men. White women, as in other states, more often supported Clinton. Black voters overwhelmingly favored Obama but Asian voters, whose numbers are comparable to blacks, went overwhelmingly for Clinton. The deciding factor may have been Latinos, who make up roughly 30 percent of California's Democratic vote. They went for Clinton by a two-to-one margin.

UPDATE: Meanwhile, exit polls show Latino and Asian Republicans may also have played an important part in John McCain's victory in the GOP primary. Mitt Romney led among white Republican voters but McCain led among Latinos and Asians, the second- and third-largest voting blocs behind whites among California Republicans.

Related: CNN Analysts say Super Tuesday didn't distinguish Democratic candidates

Filed under: California • Hillary Clinton
  1. epia123

"Ramiro February 6, 2008 1:16 am ET

Am I the only smart Hispanic who sees through Hillary's veil(s) of deceit?

Obama '08. Si se puede."

Ramiro, you're not the only smart Hispanic who saw through "...Hillary's veil(s) of deceit", but sadly, you are among the few.

"jacob February 6, 2008 1:34 am ET

Hope wont breed change just by repeating the word hope, i need someone who instills hope through proposals for solutions and Hillary does that so i voted for her tonight."

Jacob, have you even read the section of Obama's website called "Issues"? If you do, you will discover a vast array of sensible solutions to all the major problems of the day, both foreign and domestic. That should instill enough HOPE in you to change your vote in November.

February 6, 2008 04:45 am at 4:45 am |
  2. Tell me the truth

Are we sure Hillary didn't ship a bunch of Mexicans in just for today? Were they all citizens?

February 6, 2008 04:46 am at 4:46 am |
  3. MacMo

Obama will win MD, DC and VA next week.

February 6, 2008 04:47 am at 4:47 am |
  4. Tascien

The clintons are veterans... they know what states to win.. and they did. CA, NJ, NY, MA, FL, MI

Obama is a great speach maker. but he does not seem to know about politics. winning UTAH, will not do for a democrat because he will for sure not win in in Nov.

Democrats need to rally behind clinton and take the WH from the republicans. Obama is a big black box. he could be exposed by the republicans and at that time, it would be too little too late. clinton is polished. they republicans have already have a shot, and they have no more dirt on her. But who knows what the republicans are cooking against Obama.

the country cannot afford another 4 years of republicans. vote safety. vote hillary.

February 6, 2008 04:51 am at 4:51 am |
  5. argos

An important thread in these comments is the profound - and I think justified - distrust of CNN. Years ago a commentator noted the "hollowing out" of CNN in fall 2004, when it suddenly adopted Fox Noise as a role model. Entirely unrelated to whether Hillary or Obama is the better candidate, Hillary's supporters are manifestly justified in their feeling that CNN has slanted its coverage, ditto most of the media (who usually ape each other). . If the Dem party eventually nominates Barack after all, the media knifemen will then turn on him faster than you can say Wolf Blitzer.

February 6, 2008 04:52 am at 4:52 am |
  6. Wade SD

If anyone is really paying attention to total delegate votes:

Obama 540 delegates
    Clinton 531 delegats

of course this is without Super Delegates added into the mix.

I would be careful Clinton Supporters of how you tout this day. Everyone has said this is not the deciding factor in the race. And if you really understand and have been following the political environment.

February 9, 2008 are major caucus states and well if you look at the track record we all know who wins Caucus states. Obama.

even with Super Delegates added in and the total distribution of delegates Clinton only shows a +9 delegate lead.

After February 9th Obama will be in a significant lead over Clinton, even with her Super Delegate lead.

So Hillary supporters.....have you heard the expression..... "Don't count your chickens before they've hatched?" Well, I would really be careful with your pride and ego.

February 6, 2008 04:55 am at 4:55 am |
  7. Wilma

We should all pull together and analyze who can better handle all of the stuff that is being left behind by our present cabinet.. Nothing against BO however he speaks of delivering but what is it he is truly delivering, I am not sure. All I have seen from his campaign are a large # of celebrities coming out to support his cause; they speak corporate words such as "unity, empowerment, change". Are we not united today, how enpowered can we the people be since Congress holds the power, and hopefully change will come with whoever is elected. If we are looking for inspiration, we can look inside ourselves and find that. His campaign momentum is "the future", however he is constantly relying on folks from the past, the theme is confusing. Our last eight years were based upon likeability and look where we are today---economically insufficent, war/healthcare issues.

People are not looking at the facts and whether one wants to admit it, most of this democratic race is split between race and gender instead of facts. Hopefully, we can pull together and rise above those two traits and identify the candidate who can best serve the democratic party whether you like the person or not.

February 6, 2008 04:55 am at 4:55 am |
  8. Star23

It's ridiculous that so many independents were rejected at the polls, which clearly benefitted Billary.
    I'm going to vote for McCain if she's nominated or I'll write in Obama, but either way
    I don't want her to cry about it again (because nothing says "Commander in Chief" like crying under pressure).I will vote for a fellow woman to be president when a worthy candidate presents herself. Til then I refuse to settle for a fake. She will motivate a legion of GOP voters. At least, they've got someone to get excited about now.

February 6, 2008 05:02 am at 5:02 am |
  9. Clinton-Obama, Obama-Clinton in '08

rick from wisconsin says: "if Hillary wins the democratic race, I will vote republican. I am a die hard Democrat..."

Ha! paaa...leeeeez!!! I seriously doubt that! That's a contradictory statement if I ever heard one.

I believe I see an elephant attempting to blend in mules clothing among us.

February 6, 2008 05:04 am at 5:04 am |
  10. cmt

Laura–VanCover-thanks-- your comment says it all and let me add "Oprah", because people used their heads instead of her words, their hearts-priceless.

February 6, 2008 05:08 am at 5:08 am |
  11. G.Pattullo

I from Haiti, the first free black republic in the world ,do i need to vote for Obama just because i'm black, i dont think so, if we (black) have to vote for Obama because he's Black, i got to say there isnt NO CHANGE we still got 2 AMERICAS,,,,STOP TALKING ABOUT CHANGE OBAMA ,,,we still have this word is a BROTHER let's vote for him, we suppose to vote not because of his race but because for he really represents,,,,THIS IS 2008 NOT 1948 STOP TALKING ABOUT MY PEOPLE (BLACK WHITE LATINO) ,WE ARE JUST HUMAN, we see in each state 70% of black voted for Obama ,,how many white voted for Clinton do the math,you know why because White people dont see Obama as a Black candidate,,,,they see him as man that represent America,,not the white or the black America but the USA,,,think about that,,,,

February 6, 2008 05:08 am at 5:08 am |
  12. Michael

Congrats to Clinton, but you supporters may want to consider the long term goal. That is a win in the White House. I live in Utah. (Yes I am LDS if it matters.) I go to BYU. I am in probably the most conservative state in the US. Everyone that I talk to says that if the race is McCain and Obama then they will vote Obama. But if it is McCain Clinton, they will vote McCain. Clinton may still win the white house, but Obama would win against the most likely candidate in the most unlikely place.

Personally I think that all these people aren't worth our time......

February 6, 2008 05:08 am at 5:08 am |
  13. Drew in KCMO

First of all I just want to note how often I seem to see remarks left by women voters who seem to bring up the fact that they probably voted for or support Hillary based on the fact that she is a woman.

If this is true, and you are a woman who did just that, you have nominated someone for the most important job on the planet simply b/c she's just like you...This of course makes you a complete and total idiot. Girl power, time for a woman in charge, and all of this nonsense just proves to me that you can be just as short-sighted and misogynistic as men, congratulations...

And for you ladies who are voting for her b/c you think its time we had a woman leader, just like other countries have in the past, I just have to ask......Would you really want Margaret Thatcher running the show in the US? Food for thought.....

February 6, 2008 05:11 am at 5:11 am |
  14. Socal Alan

I agree with boogie completely...The Republicans are terrified of the Clintons. Republicans want Obama to win because they know he wont stand a chance in November. And why some people might ask???? Because this is sad to say in the 21st century but this country's still a very racist nation ,and most radical republicans who voted for Bush's second term will come out of there caves and vote Huckabee,Romney or McCain in November in order to keep a black man out of the White House. People should think why the Republicans would slam on Hillary and VERY silent on Obama .
    Thats why many people voted for Hillary including myself. Hillary is a Shoe in if nominated.Obama is a great candidate and I would love to see that Dreamticket to the White House "Clinton/Obama 08" in November.

February 6, 2008 05:11 am at 5:11 am |
  15. Delphin

It's like hell, having Clinton's in Washington for 4 more yrs. Can u guys try something new? why should we eat the same dish as 90th? Did we really enjoy Clonton's Administration policies? why do we want it again? In any case, get ready for the copy & paste.

February 6, 2008 05:14 am at 5:14 am |
  16. Jimrock bbh crew

This is all exciting.. I'm a LATINO Voter in CALIFORNIA !! and I voted.. and I'm 28. I guess my vote did count.

February 6, 2008 05:15 am at 5:15 am |
  17. D

I am personally VERY SHOCKED at the obviously blantant sexism I saw while sitting up all night watching CNN...
    Every time Obama won a state, it was HUGE PRAISE and tons of too heaped on him ..
    when Hillary won , they tried to figure out WHY she won and what it meant to Obama, and the CAST of "pundits" seemed to get more and more caught up in it as the night went on.....
    I also noticed ...that when Hillary was leading in a state, CNN and the powers that be, wouldnt call it for HILLARY until it was over 60 sometimes 70 percent, and they would say ITS BECAUSE IT WAS JUST TOO CLOSE ... But once the votes were actually IN ... She beat Obama handily ...But they would call an OBAMA win alot faster and PRAISE AND PRAISE and spend lots of time on him ...
    The only people I noticed who tried to keep the folks away from that was LOU DOBBS and ANDERSON COOPER ...
    Please guys.. I know some of you cant stand the IDEA of a FEMALE president , but please .....keep it to yourselves ........ it was SHOWING BAD last night ... very BAD .......
    I love my PARTY and will support whoever wins my PARTY ...
    But please be FAIR "GENTLEMEN" and keep your personal ideas and feelings at HOME ....
    I watched this go on AND on on FOX ... but we all EXPECT it from them ... NOT CNN...

February 6, 2008 05:22 am at 5:22 am |
  18. Allen Tennessee

Thank you California!
    Go Hillary!

February 6, 2008 05:23 am at 5:23 am |
  19. Anonymous

Keep hating on he black vote!!!!

At the beginning the question was : Is Obama Black Enough????

Now the question should be: Will the black voters criss-cross, if Hillary were to get the democratic nomination.....???? (its up in the air?)

Forget the hispanic, white and all the other vote....NO DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE WILL WIN THE GENERAL ELECTION WITHOUT the black vote.

February 6, 2008 05:23 am at 5:23 am |
  20. roger

Shame on CNN for ingnoring Hillary & building HYPE for Obama. Many of my friends including me are considering stop watching CNN. Your philosophy is coming pretty close to Fox's. Be fair to all candidates including Hillary, Obama, & Ron Paul. Hillary 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 6, 2008 05:25 am at 5:25 am |
  21. Rebecca - CA

Sorry, Patrick, if the American People were squarely behind Hillary Clinton, the popular vote and delegate numbers would not be so close.... If you think she is so popular, just give her the nomination and watch how very "unpopular" she is. You people crack me up... I wish you would wise up.... when you choose a "candidate," you should try to choose the most "electable" candidate....not all of this "you go girl," "poor Hillary is fighting the bad press".... etc.. The fact is Hillary was "expected" to win "overwhelmingly" until a month or so ago...and SHE DIDN'T. From everything I have seen, it is pretty much even. Hopefully, the rest of the country will figure this out in the upcoming primaries. By the way..."Universal Healthcare" isn't "free" healthcare...and unlike the mandatory car insurance in CA , you will be fined for not being able to afford it.... and let me remind you about how we Californians still must pay additional $$ in our premiums to protect the rest of us from those "uninsured" drivers! Those uninsured drivers just continue to drive, now without a license (and Hillary doesn't want you to have one of those either if you are not documented).... So this healthcare plan covers "everyone?" Get real... there is still a divided house and senate.... She knows that, but unfortunately, she continues to pander to those that believe this means "free" healthcare.

February 6, 2008 05:28 am at 5:28 am |
  22. bobby

GO BARACK OBAMA HILLARY DOSEN'T STAND A CHANCE

OBAMA 'O8

February 6, 2008 05:32 am at 5:32 am |
  23. James

If any other race voted based on race would that be "racist"?

" Obama carried black voters 82 to 16 percent".

February 6, 2008 05:32 am at 5:32 am |
  24. Andrew B.

Yeah.. she got Latino and Asian voters, but perhaps it was that huge chunk of voters Edwards some how ate up? People in California did get the memo that he dropped out right?

February 6, 2008 05:36 am at 5:36 am |
  25. Cathy

Oh, how funny it was to see that John Kerry and Ted Kennedy lost...there is a god! Poor Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann..almost in tears. I wouldn't have been surprised if they had worn t-shirts saying how they support Barack. Even with all the negative, onesided remarks, Hillary stood tall. What a fighter!!

February 6, 2008 05:38 am at 5:38 am |