February 5th, 2008

How Clinton, McCain may have won California

(CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton can thank Latino and Asian voters for her projected victory in California. Early exit polls indicate that Sen. Barack Obama carried white voters in California because of his overwhelming support among white men. White women, as in other states, more often supported Clinton. Black voters overwhelmingly favored Obama but Asian voters, whose numbers are comparable to blacks, went overwhelmingly for Clinton. The deciding factor may have been Latinos, who make up roughly 30 percent of California's Democratic vote. They went for Clinton by a two-to-one margin.

UPDATE: Meanwhile, exit polls show Latino and Asian Republicans may also have played an important part in John McCain's victory in the GOP primary. Mitt Romney led among white Republican voters but McCain led among Latinos and Asians, the second- and third-largest voting blocs behind whites among California Republicans.

Related: CNN Analysts say Super Tuesday didn't distinguish Democratic candidates

Filed under: California • Hillary Clinton
  1. Marie

It's disgusting that even from an outsider, CNN's bias for Obama is sooooo glaring!!!! To think that CNN is perceived to be a reputable News Network.

I'm not an American, I'm Asian and I have been following US primary elections and I could really see how bias CNN is.

Come on!!! I know that you are voters as well but you guys need to remember that you are also a journalists!!!!!!!!!!! Aren't journalists supposed to adhere to higher standard of excellence and part of attaining "excellence"" is objectivity.

Well! I guess I just have to switched channel turn to BBC instead so that I can get objective opinions and presentations of the US primary elections.

If only I can vote, I'll go for Hillary!! I'm impressed by her brilliance. Obama is also impressive. When it comes to rehearsed speech he could really be electrifying!! but substance... I'm not sure.. so far he hasn't shown yet that he could go beyond rhetorics. For me he did not fair well on debates. The true mettle of a candidates could be gauged on debates where candidates are faced with unprepared questions.

February 6, 2008 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  2. Cy

Everyone is shouting change in America. If Americans really want change, they should go out and vote for OBAMA. American should create chance for the change not only shouting we want change. They should not make the same mistake and vote for Hallary Clinton if they really want change because she will do the same old factors. And this time it will be worst.

Americans should rise and go out for a change!

February 6, 2008 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  3. joe

for a state where she was leading by a comfortable margin about 2 wks ago, to win by only 10% points in california is not really a good sign. in total won delgates, this is the first time clinton leads, and only by 9-20. this will quicly change with the next races, and democrats may find that obama is leading again in actual won delegates. this prolonged race is not going to help this party. it allows the clear republican leader to consolidate and that party to start planning. worse still, this extended competition can deepen divisions between the supporters of these candidates. also, the safe guard put in place by the democratic party to settle a tie, may cause more problems than it solves. the democratic party is, at this time, a house divided ( more so than the reps ). they also face the issue of trying to retain the obama supporters, who are decidedly young, well-educated, and primarily only involved in this elections because of obama. it would probably be no surprise to find out that for a good number of these obama supporters, clinton is not their second choice. the democratic race will continue, but it may turn out to be to the detriment of the party.

February 6, 2008 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  4. A concerned entrepreneur in New Jersey

Dear Anderson:
    Whether you read this comment or not… I felt that I had to get it off my chest… Hillary or McCain… much of the same… the small entrepreneur works hard and long hours and then watches his/her revenue evaporate in taxes and health benefits… etc. Dreaming to get ahead and grow into a company that could create business and jobs as well as make an impact on its community; yet, the system as it is currently designed works more against him/her than for him/her. The under-funded Huckabee campaign offers real departures from the current system – bold and challenging steps that would promote the type of change that we are all looking for… Only Obama offers a degree of change on this other side of our political machine although I do not agree with him on some of his positions. If the presidential campaign offers a McCain – Clinton or Obama ticket, then I have no idea whom to vote for… Frankly, it is even a bit discouraging… Though not left without hope, I will continue to pursue the dream and believe that my children will have better opportunities…
    I am 41 years old; I have been living in this great country for 21 years; I have been a citizen for five years; I am of French and Morrocan descent and I am married to an African-American woman and the father of two beautiful girls; I am an entrepreneur; I am a registered Republican; I am a Christian and I love my country…
    Another Frenchman by the name of Alexis de Tocqueville in his time once answered the question: “What makes America great?” by stating: “America is great because America is good; when America ceases to be good, it will no longer be great!”
    I am a concerned citizen and entrepreneur who lives in New Jersey…
    I am a Christian who will continue to pray for America and its leadership…

February 6, 2008 06:33 am at 6:33 am |
  5. Ron

Somehow I get the feeling that Barack Obama is still going to defeat Hillary for the Democratic nomination.

Here's a key number from last night in California.
    Those who decided more than 3 days ago who they were going to vote for ,
    voted for Clinton..........Those who made up their minds in the last three days,
    voted for Obama.

He still clearly has the momemtum and there aRE STILL ROUGHLY HALF THE STATES WHO HAVE YET TO VOTE!!

Plus he has raised more money than Hillary .
    She is in a real dogfight

February 6, 2008 06:34 am at 6:34 am |
  6. rj

All this talk of Hillary's experience is malarky. just because she lived with the president doesn't mean she's qualified to be the president. she cannot work with others–it's her way or the highway. just look how great she was when after bill was elected she spent three years working on healthcare reform and got absolutely nowhere with it. who do you think will pay for this 'free' healthcare?? if hillary is the democratic candidate i plan to vote for anyone on the republican ticket. she is extremely divisive and this country will be in the worst shape it's even been in if she is the president. and even her fake tears will not solve all the problems.

February 6, 2008 06:37 am at 6:37 am |
  7. Angel

Hillary won HUGE.
    Obama won the states; most of those states will never be in democrat’s column in November. Does it matter if he wins those states?

DNC wake up. Stop this non-sense. Hillary won popular vote. She won most delegates. She won the States, which are most important for General election NOv 2008.
    SHE is the Democratic nominee for President.

Hillary, YOU are GREAT!!

February 6, 2008 06:38 am at 6:38 am |
  8. mark

I am so disapointed in some of my fellow democrat voters for clearly voting on there candidate by race and not a record of work ;performance ; or issues..Latinos & aisian voters clearly wont vote for the black candidaye;& many southern blacks did not vote for a white candidate eventhough whites in Iowa chose Obama ;but clearly had another choice.

February 6, 2008 06:38 am at 6:38 am |
  9. concerned

So proud of you Hilliary

You showed CNN MSNBC news media

Fox was not as biased in their reporting last night.

You also showed the Kennedy clan and Oprah. I think so much less of Caroline for getting into this. ALL Barack can preach is change but with no substance.

February 6, 2008 06:41 am at 6:41 am |
  10. bk Michigan

Inspite of the media's over scrutiny of the Clintons, total bias towards Obama, the last minute (intent to hurt Hillary) endorsements from the Kennedy's and the celebrity women, Hillary won (as for delegate counts, i am sure it'll add up). Don't over analyse (especailly Gloria, who comes across as a surrogate of Obama just like Chris Mathews and that other babe in MSNBC), just say HILLARY WON!

Inspirational speeches are good but Hillary has the substance, the specifics. Obama has a lot to learn...maybe in 2016. But 2008, it's Hillary.

If only Michigan and Florida were int he count..............

February 6, 2008 06:41 am at 6:41 am |
  11. Michael-California

Come one people... obama is using all the jet set people to try to lure votes, obama is using churchs and congregations to get votes, obama is using small groups of people to campaign against the "conditions against black people", obama is using all kind of tactics to take down the think of a possible woman to be in power (to right after that present his wife and say that it´s here that commands the house?).

I have many fear if obama gets elected... he is just a puppet that have some big corporations behind him moving the cords. It will not be too far to see obama in every major television talk show talking about his decisions to the future, just to get votes from the minorities.

February 6, 2008 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  12. Emmett

Hillary, the crying wanna-be-Commander in Chief, is not electable in the general election. The Clintons are too divisive, and too hated by the Republicans. She would galvanize a united Republican electorate that, at present is unhappy and unenthusiastic about their front runner. Voting for Hillary is a vote for the Republicans to keep the White house and continue the horrible Bush policies. Obama WON 14 states to Hillary's 8, and only fell short in delegates by 76. An amazing Super-Tuesday. If not for the old establishment "super delegates" that favor Hillary due to previous political ties to the Clintons, Obama would lead in the delegate count, as well. The Clintons hope to steal this election from the people in back-room deal making. Obama's support is much broader across the country, Hillary's is concentrated in a few population centers. Obama's financial support is from a broad coalition, with much more coming, while Hillary's is from a few fat cats, previously tied to the old Clinton machine, that are now at their limit. The next few weeks will reveal that Obama is going to be the Democratic candidate, who will indeed win in the general election.

February 6, 2008 06:48 am at 6:48 am |
  13. nihalsam, switzerland

It's a shame that the democratic race has degenerated into a fight between black and white, man and woman. Every new analysis of results or opinion polls adds more fuel to the fire and causes more polarization. As for the "Latino-Phenomenon", I think it is easily explained: ENVY!

February 6, 2008 06:49 am at 6:49 am |
  14. Jo

Thank you God you're Hillary's endorsement. Go girl you made it through the key States. Just stay positive and let God do His job. Be strong and of a good courage, be not afraid neither be dismayed for the Lord is with you. We’re ready for a woman president.

February 6, 2008 06:51 am at 6:51 am |
  15. livingstone

Thanks Patrick, We they people have spoken , enough of the media hype, celebs endorsements . I have said that this election will be based on one three things- economy , economy , economy . please can anyone tell me if Ted Kennedy , John kerry and Oprah was watching last night. I wonder what happened to the lion of the democratic party in his own den! is it that the lion can no longer roar both in his den ( boston) and away from his den (Calif) . it is time for a change,John kerry and Ted Kennedy should resign from the senate and make way for generational change. Oprah should continue with what he knows how to do -selling books.

February 6, 2008 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  16. Leigh

Well i think a lot of Black People can no longer say they're "voting based on who is the best candidate" considering the landslides of Black Voters for Obama even though he is the epitome of "Big Corporate Money"......

What counts though is that Hillary is STILL ahead in total delegates and only has to maintain her lead now through the rest of this.....

the scary part is that no matter WHICH candidate wins total delegate votes....when it's THAT close with any candidate, it's pretty much up to those old cats in Washington to cast their votes based on what we expect them too and more often than not, they delegates do whatever they want since they're clearly allowed to and i think a lot of Americans don't understand that. I don't like ANY Nomination to be in the hands of Washington and when it's as close as it looks like it will be, it's hard for anyone to cry "foul" on who is the elected Dem candidate in the end.

Again....Hillary is ahead and I am one very happy camper....bragging rights don't get you far and since this isn't the actual election with popular vote, nothing matters except delegate count for either side.

Keep winning Hillary!!!!!

February 6, 2008 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  17. Holly, Kansas City, MO

Someone said Obama only won 6 states. Um, no? He won 14. Hillary won 8.

February 6, 2008 06:56 am at 6:56 am |
  18. GEAUX HILLARY

I'm so proud of Hillary's win in CA. Thank you to all those who voted for her.

But more important IMO, is the HUGE number of Democratic voters who turned out to vote yesterday all across our country. I think it bodes well for November and no matter who the candidate turns out to be, I think we are headed to a win in November for the Democratic Party.

February 6, 2008 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  19. Kodi

When people speak on these blogs they should speak for themselves. I am an "american people" and I am not behind Hillary. This is a primary for nomination of our democratic leader. The party may be split now but in the end whether it be Obama or Hillary, I believe that our Party will win over the Republicans. However, If I really had my way I'd do away with all these bi-partisan politics.....thats what Really divides our country. Also, id like to see a populous vote and none of this electoral college crap. Anyway, Go Obama. I think you speak for the majority of our people. I trust you over Hillary. Hillary has too much political baggage.

February 6, 2008 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  20. Opradone

Go Hillary! Obama is all talk-no action. I live in Illinois and HE HAS DONE NOTHING FOR OUR STATE DURING HIS TENURE AS SENATOR. Talk is cheap but in Illinois his grandeous ideas have not amounted to anything tangible. He side stepped the issues in Illinois by voting "present" in many critical state issues. He has great fluff, BUT LACKS ANY SUBSTANCE. Look at the facts America!

February 6, 2008 07:08 am at 7:08 am |
  21. Barbara

Mary Smith -"Clinton divides the country because she went after the Latino vote?

Let's see, Obama went after the black vote – all over America. Ask campaign volunteers in South Carolina who they were instructed to 'go after'. Yes you guessed it – the 'black' voters.

Seems to tme, that every time 'good news' or 'results' come to the Clinton camp, some CNN pundits, and thousands of pro-Obamas, are the first to whine, 'cry', etc about what a 'divider' Clinton is, or how 'polarizing' she is.

But whenever Obama's camp does anything – good or bad – pro-Obamans and some CNN pundits are fist to shout that it's 'proof' that Americans 'love' the 'change bandwagon' or how meaningful his by-now-redundant schpiel is to everyone, except those who aren't 'yet' on the good old bandwagon.

If Obama takes the nomination, not only will the Democratic party be divided between blacks and whites, but it will be between 'haves and have nots' as well. Obama's support, acc. to CNN at least, comes mainly from those making over $100K a year...and in major cities. Clinton gains most of her support from those earning less than $100K and in sub-urban and rural areas.

If Clinton takes the nomination, she'll have the backing of many of the 'have nots' regardless of race, and the majority of 'white' women, according to Bill Schneider's read on exit polls at least.

Now, if Bill's right in both cases – who's the real divider here? I'd say Obama, or a large portion of his 'supporters', win that one, hands down.

February 6, 2008 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  22. Realist08

DUSACRE,

PLEASE SPEAK FOR YOURSELF AND DONT USE THE WORD ALL AMERICANS. I DO NOT SHARE YOUR MISCHEVIOUS ANALYSIS

February 6, 2008 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  23. anthony

Asians and Hispanics are blatantly racist towards blacks, this is clear. They will not vote for a black, or half-black person no matter how qualified they are, and they routinely kiss up to whites.

February 6, 2008 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  24. Realist08

I THINK WITH AL THE STUMP SPEECHES GIVEN BY OBAMA, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN GOOD IF HE CONTESTED FOR THE PRESIDENCY OF KENYA AS I SURE DO BELEIVE HE WILL BRING A LOT OF GOOD TO THE COUNTRY OF HIS ORIGIN WHO BY THE WAY NEEDS HIM MORE THAN AMERICA DOES

February 6, 2008 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  25. Susan

People will not let the media, the Oprah's, the Kennedy's or whoever else Obama's people bring out decide for them their vote. If it is a speech that inspires you then vote for the speech writer. It's time for the news media to start being fair and stop promoting their candidate

February 6, 2008 07:27 am at 7:27 am |