February 5th, 2008

How Clinton, McCain may have won California

(CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton can thank Latino and Asian voters for her projected victory in California. Early exit polls indicate that Sen. Barack Obama carried white voters in California because of his overwhelming support among white men. White women, as in other states, more often supported Clinton. Black voters overwhelmingly favored Obama but Asian voters, whose numbers are comparable to blacks, went overwhelmingly for Clinton. The deciding factor may have been Latinos, who make up roughly 30 percent of California's Democratic vote. They went for Clinton by a two-to-one margin.

UPDATE: Meanwhile, exit polls show Latino and Asian Republicans may also have played an important part in John McCain's victory in the GOP primary. Mitt Romney led among white Republican voters but McCain led among Latinos and Asians, the second- and third-largest voting blocs behind whites among California Republicans.

Related: CNN Analysts say Super Tuesday didn't distinguish Democratic candidates

Filed under: California • Hillary Clinton
  1. jerzee gal

She won with the same demographics as Mccain. What about the rest of the country. Everyone knows McCain is an Undercover dem. How She going to beat him fighting over the same people. We need a Uniter!!!!Some one who can win the Red states, McCain and Clinton got the blue don't forget Obama one some blue ones two.) Obama is not through, He's just getting started, Early voting helped Clinton, people who didn't have enough sense to weigh it all, before they could see the light. I bet alot are sick that they didn't wait. Watch out hill, Obama is hot on your trail!!!! Why are your supporters forgetting that you were supposed to sweep this nomination? Your still crying to stay ahead, sorry I meant trying.!!!!!

February 6, 2008 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  2. Bimmer

Did someone die in CNN last night? The mood was so subdued.

February 6, 2008 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  3. a little sad

Ray February 6, 2008 1:28 am ET

"The race, ethnicity and gender talk on this forum disturbs me. So does the fact that prejudice really might have influenced large numbers of voters. I'm not sure how Democrats can claim the high ground on progressive values with this kind of bigotry in play.

And to the media (this includes you, CNN), shame on you for slicing and dicing the demographics just to make it an issue. Latinos voted for X, blacks voted for Y, women voted for Z. How is it that we've returned to a place where people can be tabulated in such a way and not be offended. We are not widgets to be inventoried."

The race and gender talk disturbs me also. However, the demographics among the voters have always been "sliced and diced" this way.

It's just that in the past, it's been an white man against another white man, so the individual demographic groups were not represented and therfore could not be chosen on this basis.

February 6, 2008 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  4. ody

It will be very interesting to id the background of the people writing this comments.....their background could be very much related to some of the comments........................well, I only have to say that is about choosing the the best person for the job................and not about cultures.

February 6, 2008 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  5. OBAMA4EVER

lol she won the latino vote who are historically racist against black and also enjoyed absentee ballots..

look at the recent vote count....Obama has pulled close to her in California

OBAMA won majority of the states located in the South which play a decisive role in the general elections.

OBAMA 08...YES WE CAN!

February 6, 2008 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  6. OBAMA4EVER

Hillary will be roasted in the general election!

February 6, 2008 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  7. Mr. Latino

Why do people complain about our Latino vote? It seems like every time there is an election or primary people kinda forget the purpose of it. We choose who we think it's best for our country, and so far it's been clear who does the "AMERICAN CITIZENS" want to run for president on the Democratic Party. I've read a few reviews here and there and i can't believe how " THE AMERICAN PEOPLE" talk or think about the Latino vote just because WE believe that Hillary has a better chance to rebuild the "BUSH MESS", and this goes way beyond race and gender. It's time to open your eyes people, a woman has the exact same capabilities as a man does to achieve any goal, besides I do not support Hillary because she is a woman, i support her because i believe on her resume and i believe she is a person that can rebuild this country and make it prosper once more. So please respect our vote, i think i read someone saying if the Latinos that voted were legal...What kind of comment is that, have some respect please. Thank You and GOD BLESS!

February 6, 2008 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  8. avoice

I would like to ask the people who support Obama why they choose Obama over Clinton:

1) Because he is fresh – give me a break. I'm totally fresh. are you going to vote for me?
    2) Because he wants to change – another break. He only say the word "change", but he didn't do anything to justify that.
    3) Because he has integrity – are you sure about that? everybody knows or should know how politics works.

Again, ask yourself why are voting for that candidate. We want a candidate who has the ability, the experience, inteligence and strong enough to bring the country back to the right track. I understand that people are sick of Bush administration. But let us not over correcting it.

God bless America!

February 6, 2008 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  9. Andrew

Thank you both "drive the nation" and especially "citizen" - your illuminating and non-inflammatory views are just what our country needs.

February 6, 2008 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  10. Bev

voting in blocks based on age, gender, asian, latino, and black, instead of issues proves predjudice and bigotry is alive and well.

February 6, 2008 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  11. Joe, Florida

I have said before. I like Obama, I think he will make a great President one day if he sticks to his convictions and does not become bitter if he loses the nomination to Clinton.

There could very well be a Clinton/Obama ticket, but I don't want to predict it will happen either.

Hillary Clinton for President of The United States of America 2008!!

February 6, 2008 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  12. sinna mani

I was not suprised at the results in California. Asians and Latinos made the difference for Hillary. Their support appears to have been influnced by defernce towards Clinton family as well as some kind viisceral racialist feelings among the Asians> Given time these could have been overecome. Talking to Asians particularrly Asians from the Indian sub-continent I got the feeling that the first generation immigrants are not aware of the history of this great nation and competitive consumerism seem to dominate their lives. This will change as the younger generation go through the educational process. I was so impressed with the idealism of the youth both black and white that I am left with a clear feeling the best of America is yet to come.

February 6, 2008 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  13. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Laura in Seattle, California people don't know Obama, right, that's why it is not his time, he needs to practice for several years. Jamie, your concept of devider is just same with Obama's, Hillary showed her ability to unite for over 35 yearse, that is the reason why she won in California. Glenn, Obama won by caucus, Hillary won by primary, voter's real voices. Mike, I think you switched the name. Excuse me Bob, Clinton's win in California is a huge meaningful victory. I love America, I love Hillary Clinton, I want see her on TV rest of my life. Thank you, all of big States, you did a great job, I am proud of you.

February 6, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  14. Here in Britain

Tara February 6, 2008 2:23 am ET

It is so funny when Obama supporters keep threatening Democrats by saying "I am a hardcore Democrat or I am a Democrat for whole life, but I will vote Republican if Hillary wins the nomination …"

It's because they probably are Republicans tara!!

February 6, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  15. KIMBERLY

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HILLARYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    HOPEFULLY AMERICA CONTINUES TO WAKE UP

February 6, 2008 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  16. Here in Britain

For all those going on anout Obama's 14 states – Jesse jackson won 10 – and look where it got him. Winning states with small delegate numbers does not win the presidency. Winning the big 7 does – if Clinton takes Teax and Ohio Obam can wave goodbye to the election.

February 6, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  17. John

Some Obama supporters said that the supports of Latinos and Asians for Hillary are not great. But can I ask you more than 80% blacks vote for Obama great?

February 6, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  18. Aloha Independent For Fair Media Coverage

She won California because America was tired of the BS the media played by Glorifying Senator Obama and neglecting Senator Clinton and Senator Edwards.
    The media continues to spin bias and subjective reports and opinions that favor Senator Obama. Watch when the next report from the Center for Media and Public Affairs are disclosed and the results are similar or worst than prior reports. The media will never learn…and all this because Senator Clinton and her staff won't give the reporters interviews or tv spots that favor the media, instead the media decides to punish Senator Clinton with bias and subjective opinions to glorify Senator Obama.
    I wonder if Senator Obama has an idea of what his worth really is… after the media decides to treat him like YESTERDAY'S NEWS.

February 6, 2008 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  19. WMW

Clinton won with the Caucasian vote and Latino voters who are not about to let Louis Farrahkan take over this country.

McCain won with the establishment making sure he gets the nod due to being a government regular for the past several years and who is to say he is not arm in arm with the neo-cons. He knows how his bread gets buttered!

February 6, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  20. John (Boston, MA)

I know that many out there are thinking that there might end up being a super-ticket for the Democrats this year (Clinton/Obama). But I was wondering what people think about the possibility of a different ticket if Obama doesn't get the Democratic endorsement. John McCain in a previous presidential election stated that he wouldn't rule out a Democrat as a running mate. The best ticket and best possiblity for this country to run and be profitable again is to have a McCain/Obama ticket. Crossing party lines generally isn't allowed, but why the heck not. The two candidates are a like is many ways just in different parties. I am a registered Democrat but would love to see a different type of politician than what we have seen in the White House for the last 20 years.

February 6, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  21. Ohio

First of all, it bothers me is that there are peoplel who did not finish high school got to vote (in elections). Sorry but I don't like to put our faith in high school dropouts.

That being said.

I was really disappointed with Hilary's win and I wish women would stop voting for her just because she is female. So what happens if there are two female candidates? How will they choose then? Will they finally look at candidates issues or who will be the prettiest of them all? I bet people who voted for Hilary did not follow her policies but her fame and husband. All this being said by a female myself.

Also, Latinos and Blacks have always had a silly grudge... and Asians.. well I'm not sure because I'm Asian myself and I can never vote for Hilary. Don't know what happened in CA with Asian voters.

Still, let's keep on fighting Obama supporters!
    Yes we can!
    Obama 08!

February 6, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  22. Independent For Fair Media Coverage,PA

Rock on

February 6, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  23. Will

well, now i am voting republican.

February 6, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  24. anthony

Both Latinos and Asians would vote for one of their own if they had a chance to become governor of California or president of the United States, and they agreed with that person on the issues as well (see New Mexico and Richardson).

Everyone knows how racist asians and hispanics are against blacks, EVERYONE!

February 6, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  25. fedup

I saw one comment here that the voters "starting to realize" Obama is blowing hot air. I don't agree with that.
    It is just amazing to me how a man with very little experience could get as much support as he did just because he is using the SAME words as Bush did before he got elected...we are United.
    Same words just a different man. Even thought Obama is a great speaker, I do not have the confidence in him as I have Hillary. It’s amazing to me how a person can talk Americans into just about anything, without anybody really knowing much about the person.
    To me that said a lot more about the people voting, than it said about him.
    Our country is in a critical position at the moment and we simply cannot afford for our president to learn as he goes..not this time.

- Hillary we need you right now.

February 6, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |