February 5th, 2008

Huckabee: Don’t count me out

(CNN)— Mike Huckabee, who racked up nearly as many wins as his GOP rivals Tuesday, told CNN reports of his campaign’s demise may have been greatly exaggerated.

“Every time we win something, somebody tries to figure out a way to explain it away,” Huckabee told CNN’s Campbell Brown.

The former Arkansas governor exceeded expectations Tuesday, and Huckabee said his campaign had instilled hope in all the underdogs of the world.

“I have spent my life coming up from the bottom,” says Huckabee, and “there are a lot of people in American who want to believe they too can go from deep in the hole to the top of the mountain in their own lives.”

Huckabee’s delegate count remains far behind that of Republican presidential frontrunner John McCain.

Related: Watch Campbell Brown's one-on-one with Huckabee

Reated: Watch Huckabee's Super Tuesday speech

–CNN's Emily Sherman

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. Lothar Vogel

Mike Huckabee is not only the best choice for the USA, Mike is the best choice for the world!

February 6, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |

Total Votes 564,194
    Cost Per Vote $36.12

Mike Huckabee
    Money Spent $7,107,364.00
    Total Votes 2,383,877
    Cost Per Vote $2.98

The numbers speak for themselves: Huckabee doesn't need to pay you to convince you to like him.

February 6, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  3. AC

Jim Rob, its ashame that you agree with the Democrats that its okay for innocent babies to be killed and for children to have 2 mommies or 2 daddies. Let's not talk about morals!

February 6, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  4. Jim Rob

Well AC I didn't know that pointing out the lack of morality of Mr GWB equates to agreeing with Abortion but your uneducated types do have to do some mental gymnastics to make your points. In other words, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Care to adress the points I made? Or are you trying to bait and switch (you know, a dishonest tactic?).

Democrats don't think it's ok to kill innocent babies. Nice demonization – did you get that straight from the Nazi handbook? Democrat stances on that usually tend to favor that choice between the person and their god...because it's not your business. Anyway, wouldn't that send these innnocent babies right to Heaven?

But I see your logic: it's ok to kill dogs, kill brown people, and free rapists but it's not ok to allow a woman the right to choose?

Seriously though, regarding abortion, as if it has anything to do with anything discussed in this thread, should be frowned upon. I think the option should be legal but encourage people to use other means of birth control. I am a pro choicer who chooses life so F u very much. Now let me make my choice in peace and you can dictate your morals on your own family instead of being focused on others'. You want a theocracy; Americans don't. No one tells me or my family how to worship god.

Now back on topic – why choose the guy who's just pandering religious votes when every single candidate is a Christian? He talks the talk but can he walk the walk?

February 6, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  5. Leroy Livesay

What is wrong with some of you who need to call names and distort peoples names? Is it that you are not articulate enough to do otherwise? Why don't you use your name? Are you ashamed of it? I use mine. I'm proud of it. I'm also proud of a 14 year friendship with Mike Huckabee, a great man and a great Governor of Arkansas after the sleazy years of Clinton and Jim Guy Tucker. Time Magazine named Mike as one of the five best Governors in America. Mike and Janet have been married for many years. I have known her about 10 years and spent three days on a campaign bus with her a couple of years ago. Mike is the ONLY TRUE CONSERVATIVE in this race. He and Janet go hunting and fishing often. Rudy Guiliani has been married more times than Mitt Romney has ben hunting. The 2nd Amendment isn't about duck hunting and Mike is the only one who will tell you that. The writers of the Constitution said it was to protect the people from the Government. James Madison, the "Father of the Constitution" was one of my relatives, along with five other Presidents. Mike is solidly Pro-Life, unlike the rest, who blow in the wind. Mike is also solidly Pro-Military and has proposed a VETERANS BILL OF RIGHTS. Mike beat the Clinton machine in a Democratic – Dominated State and can do it again. A lot of Republican voters will stay home in November if John McCain is the nominee. He is a loose cannon. His temper comes from his father, Admiral John S McCain Jr., who I served under several times. Like John, I am retired from the U.S.Navy (SEABEES) and a veteran of two tours in Vietnam. I lived in Arkansas for 25 years, all through the Clinton Regime and most of Mike's time in office. Hillary Clinton is the essence of evil and has many times professed an extreme hatred for the Military. Think what she will do as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces. We must defeat her at any cost.
    As the Democrats in Arkansas say "Vote early and often".

Leroy Livesay
    Vast Right Wing Conspiracy–Charter Member

February 6, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  6. CarpetDeeum

Mike was my only choice on the Republican side.
    I was going to vote Democrat, but after Sen. Biden dropped out., I was torn between Edwards and Gov. Huckabee, leaning towards the Governor. Once Edwards dropped out, I settled on the candidate that can do the most good for this country in this particular period in history, and my donations have gone to the Governors campaign.

The more Gov. Huckabee rallies and appearances I see, the more I am impressed by him. I am not a "Christian", but he does inspire me in that he is exactly what a real Christian should be. Leading by example, and all people are created equal regardless of religion or race.

Obama has time to run in the future-after he gets some more experience under his belt. I will vote for Obama in a future election, but right now we need experience.

Mike has proven that he can balance budgets and work across the aisle. But his main quality is his infectious optimism about America. All of America.

February 6, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  7. CG

Huckabee is an idiot. Moving to Canada if such a louse is ever elected.

February 6, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  8. Caitlin from Texas

Jim Rob is absolutly right! I believe nothing will change if huckabee wins. it will be like "dubya" all over again!

February 6, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. randy

I'm having trouble with many of the statements made by huckabee, during his time as govenor of arkansas he had a chance to pardon 3 wrongly convicted young men for the case known as the west memphis three, 1 of the men is death row, the other 2 are serving life sentences. these young men were convicted without a single piece of credilbe evidence. and in the 10 years that he was govenor of arkansas he said that found no reason that these convictions should be overturned or that the young should be pardon. but he claims to be a man of god and that he will always choose life. but I guess when it came to the case of the west memphis three he decided not to do the right thing. he decided not to look at the facts of the case and left a wrongly convicted man on deathrow, and 2 men in prison for life. WHAT'S GODLY AND PRO-LIFE ABOUT THAT MR. HUCKABEE?

February 6, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |