February 5th, 2008

Huckabee: Don’t count me out

(CNN)— Mike Huckabee, who racked up nearly as many wins as his GOP rivals Tuesday, told CNN reports of his campaign’s demise may have been greatly exaggerated.

“Every time we win something, somebody tries to figure out a way to explain it away,” Huckabee told CNN’s Campbell Brown.

The former Arkansas governor exceeded expectations Tuesday, and Huckabee said his campaign had instilled hope in all the underdogs of the world.

“I have spent my life coming up from the bottom,” says Huckabee, and “there are a lot of people in American who want to believe they too can go from deep in the hole to the top of the mountain in their own lives.”

Huckabee’s delegate count remains far behind that of Republican presidential frontrunner John McCain.

Related: Watch Campbell Brown's one-on-one with Huckabee

Reated: Watch Huckabee's Super Tuesday speech

–CNN's Emily Sherman

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. travis

on the main page it has a typo ("whole to the top of the mountain") its corrected here though.

February 6, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  2. jstbnme

This man has more change in him than obama ever dreamed of, if the media would just mention his name a little more often( in a positive note) the man just might have a real chance. Just think of how it might be if he got the attention that Obama got, after all look how far beind he was before the media got behind him...give the man a chance...

February 6, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  3. Michael

jstbnme is right, Huckabee is a man of ideas and they keep coming. His personality is hopeful and energetic enough to lead this country through any times of hardship. The media and the American people need to understand that Huckabee cannot be ignored or relegated to the backburner as a second rate candidate. This man is a well of potential.

February 6, 2008 03:23 am at 3:23 am |
  4. Terry D

It's not over until it's over. Louisana, Virginia, and Maryland are coming up in the next week. These are all states that Huckabee could win or at least do well in. What happens if Romney decides that he has already spent too much money and drops out? A week from now things could look a lot different. With two or Three wins Huckabee could be the momentum candidate.

February 6, 2008 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  5. andrew

Huck is the only hope for america. He is by far the best candidate

February 6, 2008 06:56 am at 6:56 am |
  6. Cody Harding

Has anyone told the preacher that he can return to church now? Because he isn't going much farther on the campaign trail.

Maybe he can go to Fred Phelps to protest the ballots as sinful. They're both baptists, they should get along quite nicely.

February 6, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  7. HuckFan

Huck and RP are the only ones that have an idea for the economy other then more of the same junk that doesn't work or just delays the crisis further.

February 6, 2008 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  8. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Huckabee did his part to help McCain. If it was not for Huckabee, I think that more votes and states could have gone to Romney. I still don't think he has much of a chance to win the nomination though. Huckabee still has a greater shot than Ron Pau who has none no matter what his supporters say.

February 6, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  9. RB

Without Huck this coutry will start it's downward spirl toward HELL IN A HAND BASKET!

Higher taxes, the sit back and wait approach as our enemies plot against us because we back down on our military offensive, or basically become sissies! Loss of our constitutional rights! etc...etc...etc..

Come on Huck ! Keep up the fight!

February 6, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  10. Robert

All Eyes Need to Be on the Lonestar State !
    Texas, my home state. A state that was once considered an afterthought in the primiaries now becomes the biggest prize left in the nominating process, this is a battle that could be staged from the skyscrapers of Dallas to the orchards of the Rio Grande Valley. The Republican Party chooses 140 delegates through primaries in 32 congressional districts and at-large delegates. With the GOP race not wrapped up, McCain has his work cut out for him here and If I were Huck I would have landed in Austin by now and got a rapid rewards card on Southwest to get from Austin to Ohio over the next few weeks.

Any way it turns out campaigning in Texas won't be easy but very costly.

February 6, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  11. huckadave

Mike is the real deal. I like listening to a man that speaks to Me not at me! I know that he is genuine and will be the best leader for the country. I think the media is afraid of him because they know in a debate the dems will get waxed (stomped) and they don't want to see that happen.

February 6, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  12. debbyjoy

I think that no matter what the vote, Clinton and Mccain will win, because the media is behind them, giving them the attention.(shame on them) Huck could have been a lot farther along if the media had not been telling people that it was a wasted vote. I personaly am getting to the point that I wonder why we bother to vote in the out skits of the citys. We the people, in the farm country are just nobodys. Our votes don't count, and I really have been trying to study online about the voting system and I don't get why some states have 10 delegates and some have in the hundereds, and why some are winner takes all and some are not. And why does a persons vote count more in Vegas then in Michigan and why does my Govener's vote count more then hundrends in a state ? I have to admit they announce sometimes for example,, well so and so has won in the city of Atlanta for example , and there is no way the rest of the state can vote and take the win away from him, so you just stay home., Where if the media would shut up and all the voting would be in one day,, and only go by actual votes, I think you would see a total different cituatiion.

February 6, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  13. John Edwards

Just bow out old man, you are done. Look at me. I love my hair.

VOTE ROMNEY, McCain and Huck ar3

February 6, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  14. Gay Lynn Owens

Why were you surprised at Huckabee?
    Iowa saw his integrity from the beginning.
    When it comes to economics...... Huckabee has shown the nation that he is leading by example to do the most with what you have and not throwing millions and millions to buy votes.

February 6, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  15. Darrin

Huckabee and Fred Phelps are not similar in any way. Phelps is not a Baptist or a Christian, no matter how much he says otherwise. Sounds like you're afraid of his momentum, Cody.

February 6, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  16. Dorothy Kaller

This man is the only Republican I would think of voting for. Even though I am not a "conservative". He shines in his over all out look. I am an independent thinker and voter.

February 6, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  17. Chris

Huck is a liar. How could he look in to the television and say that the way he won w virgina was not a collaboration with mcain.

February 6, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  18. FairTax

A lot of Huckabee's support comes from supporters of the FairTax. Too bad the media won't acknowledge that the FairTax is a Big Idea and worthy of more in-depth analysis.

A FairTax supporter

February 6, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  19. Roy Carthen

Rommney is finished and all we got to do is wait on his advisors to tell him he is out of the race. Huckabee needs to hold in there, if he doesnt get the Presidency, he would be great as a vice president.
    Dont know where the democrats are. Either one would be bad for the United States. Leave it to the democrats to steal the delegates from Florida. If I were a democrat in florida I would change to anything else that is availablel.roy

February 6, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  20. AC

I think that Huckabee is the only candidate with true faith & morals and that is what our country needs to get back to. We need someone to stand up and fight for what's right.

February 6, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  21. Romney

i gotta say im concerned about the "fair tax" being a college student i work mostly under the table. my taxable income last year was 2 dollars. being that i put myself through and dont get any money from mom and dad a 20 something percent increase in everyday purchases would pretty much be my financial ruin.
    -Romney GO PAUL (i like the constitution as its written)

February 6, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  22. lacy

As far as I can see Huckabee is the only candidate with good morals and values. We need him in office to keep the country from further deterioration. If Hillary wins the country is in BIG trouble.

February 6, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  23. Jim Rob

Needs to get back to? Where have you been the last 7 years with Mr. Faith GWB?! Is not his ludicrous messages from some God what got us in a lot of this trouble to begin with?

And just to let you know, all the candidates from both sides are Christian. You can't run in this country unless you are – fact.

Gomer Fudd is just touting the Bible for votes. If he believed in what he preaches he wouldn't be a Republican. After all, was not Jesus a liberator from the rich and powerful?

Vote Gomer Fudd so you can self-fulfill your prophecy and send this planet straight to hell so you can say "I told ya so"

Pardoning rapists != morality, sorry.

February 6, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  24. Gomer Fudd

Don't worry Gomer Fudd...most of your supporters can't even count anyway!

February 6, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  25. J.P. in GA

FAIR TAX FOLKS..... Please will the pundits stop ignoring that Hucks support is largerly from his efforts to abolish the 16th amendment and institute the FAIR TAX and not just evangelicals.

Go Huck!!!!