February 5th, 2008

McCain pulls ahead; Huckabee, Romney also score

Mike Huckabee vowed to stay in the presidential race as returns came in on Tuesday night.

(CNN) - Arizona Sen. John McCain was piling up early wins in important Super Tuesday states in the Republican race for the White House Tuesday - with former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee also posting multiple victories just days after ignoring calls to drop out of the race.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who had been campaigning as the only viable conservative alternative to national front-runner McCain, had posted one win - in the state where he used to govern.

McCain appeared headed to the top spots in New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Connecticut and Delaware, based on early returns and results from exit polls in those states.

Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor recently written off as a spoiler by other Republican front-runners, made a strong showing early, winning the West Virginia party convention then, according to projections, handily taking his home state.

On the line Tuesday were more than 1,000 of the 1,191 delegates necessary for the Republican nomination.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. No MittWits

Romney: Put a fork in him, he's done. McCain has 338 delegates. That's 2-1/2 times more than Romney has. Romney will not win California which will bring McCain's total to around 511. The real story here is whether Huckabee will eventually outdraw Romney. Well Mitt, apparently money can't buy everything.

February 5, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  2. suzanne

I know it is very difficult for CNN to cover anything Huckabee. I voted today in San Diego for Hillary Clinton but I, like many Americans , love an underdog. The treatment given to former Governor Huckabee in the last CNN Republican debate was atrocious. As often as I watch CNN and as much as I admire Wolf Blitzer and as much as I think Anderson Cooper has been a refreshing change these last couple of years or so, I am so happy you all and your Fox-like -lately punditry now have to eat crow. Please NEVER underestimate the American people to have the gall to have their own minds. And please tell Campbell Brown to let Mr. Huckabee decide on his own time when and if he will drop out. She is mistaking brutishness for good interviewing. And thank you for not groveling too, too much for Senator Obama this day.

February 5, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  3. Chuck Norris

Huckabee/Norris 08

February 5, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  4. Hillphil

Shucks, Huckabee if you drop out I will be forced to vote Democrat cuz McCain makes me sick. He has no respect for our soldiers that die in Iraq fighting A war that was started with lies.

February 5, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  5. Akat

I am a registered democrat but I have to say I hate how everyone is making jabs at Mitt Romney over the money issue. Shouldn't it be the other way around? If someone is willing to spend so much of their own money I believe that means he is willing to risk himself b/c he really believes in America and wants to bring about change. I'm so sick of people trying to knock him b/c he happens to have been successful in the private sector. Grrr!

February 5, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  6. Lisa

If McCain wins, he would be smart to pick up Huckabee for a running mate because of all the popularity. I would vote for that ticket!

February 5, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  7. bob carlisle

hey no mittwitts californias delegates are shared for one. maybee you would know that if you werent a southern bigott. oh yeah that deal mcgarbage and huckatrash had in west virginia was sad. very unchristlike to say the least. but maybee you and huckabee need to learn more about christ before preaching about other faiths.

February 5, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  8. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I hope Huckabee wins the nomination so he can get chewed up and spit out. He won't be able to joke his way in a debate with Obama or Hillary.

February 5, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  9. Antoine

Its clear to me that Huckabee and McCain have struck a deal to shaft Romney. By Huckabee staying in siphoning votes from Romney, or at very least splitting the vote, it gives the win to old Grandpa McCain!!! Look at West Virginia for a prime example. Looks like Huckabee might get th Vice Presidency for it. The Grandpa and the preacher, Oh God help us!!

February 5, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  10. bob carlisle

another jimmie carter. der der der i like peanuts, and i come from a white trash state. maybee they should put on there plates land of clinton?

February 5, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  11. Chris, Bethesda, Maryland

My God, McCain. If you win, please, please, please don't pick Huckabee. I really want to vote for you, but there's no way I'll support you if you bring a theocrat onto the ticket. There are plenty of politicians with the right conservative credentials, and any one of them would be happy to be your running mate. Just stay away from that scumbag. For the nation's sake.

February 5, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  12. guy strohmeier

I think I like Mike!!!

February 6, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  13. Gabby

Could Obama's victory speach be any longer? I swear he just drones on and on. The more he talks the less I like him. He reminds me of a used car salesman. He's such a great speaker he's able to sell a load of crap. Don't be fooled people.

Hillary Clinton '08

February 6, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  14. Lee

We love Huckabee! Send Romney packing and make our day!

Real Republicans Unite

February 6, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  15. Lee

Antione....Huckabee is the answer to your plea for help!

Go Mike Huckabee!

February 6, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  16. Elaine

Romney please bow out. Thank you.

True Republicans Unite!

February 6, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  17. Jared AZ

Mccain and Huckabee true snakes....backroom deal? c'mon mccain you been in washington too long, you still pullin that crooked moves again...
    Mitt Romney got ma respect and vote today. Mccain and Huckabee you both will get eaten up by the demoratic party, jus throw in the towel

February 6, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  18. Amanda

Hard to believe bigotry still exists in this country. The only reason Mitt Romney did not get more delegates tonight is because of his religion. Way to divide the republican party by ganging up on Mitt. Dirty tricks will get you no where. I will be voting democrat in this election. I always knew the south was full of uneducated bigots and it shows by the person they chose and his character. Those evangelicals make it a part of their religion to bash other religions, that is not Christlike to me. I just wish they would wake up and see some of the light.

February 6, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  19. Casey

I will NOT vote for McCain if he chooses Huckabee as a running mate. I like McCain alot but he really should think about his running mate. If McCain chooses the Huckster then I'm voting Democrat...Hillary or Obama anyone but Huckabee.

February 6, 2008 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  20. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

Romney may as well "hang it up" because it's over for him!!! Thank God!

February 6, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  21. Joel

True Republicans Unite!
    Ha! That is rich! Based on what exactly? Two of the most liberal candidates to run for the Republican nomination in recent history? True Republicans Unite! is a sham! It certainly isn't as if Huckabee is anti-Mormon having openly said so at a national Baptist ministry convention. He knows he can't win, look at the numbers! Did he make a better showing that many thought? Absolutely! Is he still in 3rd place out of 3 (aka LAST)? Absolutely! So the only reason that he has even been in it this long is because he is doing everything he can to keep Romney from winning. How anti-democratic can you be? That is the equivalent of tampering! If you know you don't have a serious chance outside of a Hail Mary, then step aside! It isn't hard to figure out. The most shameful thing I have witnessed in many years is this stunning example of bigotry from someone who REALLY should know better. Let me think...what would Christ do? Hmmmm, doubtfully slander.

February 6, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |