February 5th, 2008

Schneider: Clinton losing among whites and blacks in California

(CNN) – An interesting dynamic is at play in California: Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are in a tight race, even though Obama is beating Clinton there among both white voters and black voters.

According to our exit polls, Obama is beating Clinton among whites, 49 percent to 43 percent, and among blacks, 81 percent to 16 percent.

How is Clinton in contention? She's overwhelmingly winning among Latinos and Asians. Two-thirds of California Latinos prefer Clinton, while three-fourths of the state’s Asians support her.

Latinos and Asians just may carry the state for her.

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Nicole

Most of the states that Obama won are caucus states.. which are not truly representative of the total electorate of those states...
    Obama is doing poorly among with latino voters again... and latino voters will be crucial in the general election. I daresay, John McCain could win California because of the Latino vote if Obama is in the general election.
    Face the facts.. Hillary competes better in the states and the key demographics that matter most to winning the general election.

February 6, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  2. Steve, NYC, NY

Yes John, Obama speaks like a preacher. And I don't hear anything of substance. And Thank You, he didn't vote for the war because he was MIA.

February 6, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  3. mgleaso3

Interesting that so many of the exit polls favor Obama and yet, Clinton has the lead in the vote. Either people are lying on the way out or something a bit shady is going on. (This is not just in California)

February 6, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  4. Rebecca - CA

Someone explain to me why Latinos are voting in such large numbers for Hillary ... I hope it is not a vote for Bill..... it can't be "change" ...... because she and "he" are both part of the Democratic establishment. Just wondering.... Do you all realize how disliked these two are outside of the democratic establishment? I voted for Bill both times...but it is a new day.... let's move forward, already.

February 6, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  5. deMontferrand

Racial card always played first by bl... afro-americans,remember O.J.Simpson case ?
    Omaba as a president is a mystery, Clinton is predictable. we all need stability, not a "change". I can guarantee, that in my community Obama find no support

February 6, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  6. Steve, NYC, NY

Thanks Ryan, someone that sees through the inspirational fluff.

"Am I the only "young" person who realizes that Obama won't actually bring any of the so-called "changes" to fruition? Nothing will ever deviate much from the status quo, short of a cataclysmic event (i.e., the Great Depression), so we might as well vote for someone who actually has experience instead of empty promises."

February 6, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  7. Jen, New York, NY

Why Asians are favoring Hillary is beyond me. This Asian American voted for Obama!

February 6, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  8. Steve

"Well, this Asian supported Obama. I can't believe the stupidity of my fellow Asians."

All 75% of them?????

February 6, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  9. Kerry Snyder

Whatever happened to just reproting the news-just the facts without racial or PERSONAL bias???! My mother was a journalist and she would be appalled as would I am sure Mr. Murrow. CNN and others really do make me sick...you are the detriment of this country and of elections. I don't think you should be allowed to report anything until all ballots are counted and then only the numbers PERIOD.

February 6, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  10. California 4 Hillary

Oh, so wrong. I am a white woman and I LOVE HILLARY! If you saw the crowd that gathered at her Town Hall, you would think twice!

February 6, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  11. Mike

Exactly Ryan! I'm a young person too (26 years old), but I realize that the US government has it's checks and balances which will prevent radical change to happen. Small incremental changes are possible for a president, but if you want to see major changes, you better wish that America becomes a dictatorship. Lobbyists will still exist, and you'll still have the old establishment like the Kennedys (who ironically endorsed Obama) still in office.

February 6, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  12. Dusty

Why get caught up in exit polls? Did you stop and watch when you voted today how many people did not fill out an exit poll? If only 30% of the voters stop to fill out this poll, how acurate can it be?

February 6, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  13. Steve

"Am I the only "young" person who realizes that Obama won't actually bring any of the so-called "changes" to fruition? "

Most of the young educated Asian Californians are with you, judging by the CNN statistics.

February 6, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  14. Asian for Hillary

I am an Asian and I am a Hillary supporter. Very proud that Asian is helping Hillary in California. Obama is not an honest candidate by all means. He refused to give straight answers to questions raised by 80-20 when he was given the equal opportunity as Hillary and Edward had. His camp only came back few days before the California primary with answers in the hope of getting some Asian votes. Asian won't fooled. You ignored Asian, and you will not get Asian votes. Go Hillary, you get my whole hearted support! Shame on you Obama!

February 6, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  15. Nicole

The people are saying they are FED UP with the overtly biased mainstream media.

February 6, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  16. Eric

The poor Hillary supporters believe that they are getting ClintonRedux. Sequels usually don't work, although Godfather II was good and there are similarities to Hillary there. And certainly 2009 is different from 1993. Hopefully before the election Hillary supporters will realize that she would be terrible for the country. Change and experience is needed and Obama has both.

February 6, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  17. Danielle

Well, this story is just one more reason to look to other news outlets. CNN is so shamelessly biased towards Obama, I will be getting my news from MSNBC or even Fox News going forward.
    Anything is better than this travesty of the "news."

February 6, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  18. Ann, mid-Michigan

You are all forgetting that early voting was allowed in California since mid-January, before Obama started matching Clinton in opinion polls. . The individuals giving their opinions in exit polls are telling the researchers who they voted for today. The early voters are not part of this equation.

February 6, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  19. MISSOURI

Its all about delegates. Right now things are tight and this works to Obama's advantage.Clinton may win California but not by a margin huge enough to give her a clear lead. Mind you the wind of change is blowing in both directions, North for Obama, South for Clinton. It is foolish to count chicks before they are hatched. 13 % return is not big enough to decide the vote. I have watched Clinton's lead in Missouri evaporating from 15 to 1 % point. So anything is possible. Obama for sure will make a push even if he losses it won't be a huge blow

February 6, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  20. Steve, NYC, NY

thanks Lwerence. Obama is wolf in sheeps clothing.

"Hillary congratulated her opponent for a great race in her speech tonight.

Obama continued to attack her.

Hopefully people will see right through Mr. Obama and realize that he would do whatever he needs to simply to become the President.

That's not "change." That's status quo.

Go Hillary!"

February 6, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  21. Benjamin

Shame on any Obama supporter who claims anyone who votes for Hillary is uneducated. I fall in the realm of highly educated and well-paid...I support Hillary. I know who she is, and what she stands for. I find that I am not naiive, I don't fall for empty rhetoric of an undeliverable utopia....and I AM ONLY 25!!

February 6, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  22. Steve, NYC, NY

May God help us if Obama gets in because he is 'cool'. Coolness won't solve our problems.

February 6, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  23. oltha

In a society where the politically correct are far too prevalent already, it's actually refreshing to see the open mention of race at all. As Americans we should be proud of our differences and, more importantly, our right to maintain them.

February 6, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  24. Mike

YES WE CAN! I think its pretty sad that Obama has stolen the Hispanic/Chicano slogans thinking it will give them the vote. Sorry Obama it takes substance not empty rhetoric. BTW the UFW supports Hillary as does Dolores Huerta and Cesar Chavez's children.

February 6, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  25. brian

I'm absolutely disgusted by the bias against Hillary. It's pretty shocking, actually. She could win 21 states and CNN would find a way to focus on Obama having momentum because he won one.

February 6, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |