February 5th, 2008

Schneider: Clinton losing among whites and blacks in California

(CNN) – An interesting dynamic is at play in California: Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are in a tight race, even though Obama is beating Clinton there among both white voters and black voters.

According to our exit polls, Obama is beating Clinton among whites, 49 percent to 43 percent, and among blacks, 81 percent to 16 percent.

How is Clinton in contention? She's overwhelmingly winning among Latinos and Asians. Two-thirds of California Latinos prefer Clinton, while three-fourths of the state’s Asians support her.

Latinos and Asians just may carry the state for her.

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Zina

Obama did wonderfully tonight!! He did much MORE than was expected! Missouri was just called for him!

I'm so proud to have caucused for this man!

Obama '08

February 6, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  2. BOB

Republicans would vote for Hillary , in the ceneral election, but not fo for , the kid on the block . For the republicans will, dump all his dirty laundry out for the public to sort threw. May find a loose check , from Farrakhan. And many more from the great state of Ill.

February 6, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  3. Isabelle

I hope Hillary wins the nomination and chooses Obama as VP. In 8 years he will win and be really ready. I haven't heard him say much of anything specific and John McCain and the republicans will tear him a new one I'm afraid.

February 6, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  4. Laura

Biased, oh yes. No sooner did cnn call Clinton the winner of California that the pundits were spinning that she'll have some problem related to dollars to fund her campaign. Can you let us ride the high and not rush to go "there"? If it was Obama who they were discussing we'd hear about how great and filled his pockets are.

I have no worries about her funding– all interested parties, lets back her, go to HillaryClinton.com

February 6, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  5. SF, CA

Zipo, get a life!

I am Latino, and I have voted for a female African American candidate for posts in the past.

Your message of "We need to deport all those illigal immigrants who are coming here to kill Americans" shows your immense racial animosity toward Latinos and Asians.

I voted for a white woman, because she is the most experienced person to lead this country. She doesn't vote "present", she has ideas, and she's not only about blowing hot air.

SF, CA

February 6, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  6. joey

Choosing a president because of cool factor could lead to disaster like Iraq war, Bay of Bigs, Cuban Missile crisis, etc. We need a president who look at this jot with a serious ideas how to solve it. Just find a cool way to say I bring change and nothing more. I like JFK, the myth even though, he was before my time. His speeches were very elegant and no hint of arrogance. I like Obama too but his thin on specifics, and more rhetorics just do not cut it for me. And when I listen to Senator Obama's speeches, I detect a hint of arrogance and smugness unlike JFK
    Joey

February 6, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  7. David

Mike -

I wouldn't write Hillary off too soon for getting along with Republicans, if you knew anything about her, she has a very strong , successful record in the Senate for working across the aisle with Republicans and Democrats alike. Hillary is the one!

February 6, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  8. sa

This voter believes Bill Clinton was right 'on the money' when he pointed out, over and over, how this contest was about race. STUPIDLY – about race. The race issue is plastered everywhere we ALL look, folks! Hasn't the last seven and a half years of stonewalling and extreme partisanship taught us Democrats anything?

Just because I am a "Hillary" woman – does NOT mean I am against Barack. Obama (from my perch) is eloquent and he DOES have Kennedy-esque visions. Hillary and Barack each share MLK-esque visions ... or, as I'd like to call them John Lennon "Imagine" visions. These are the visions we Americans need to fix our eyes upon ... that we may all day "live as one", free of any and all racial hatred.

Remember, "Headlines" sell ... they draw our attention and rile us internally making us lose our focus. Remember – our focus should continue to be upon change, be it via Hillary or Barack.

February 6, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  9. SF, CA

Gary, get past your sexism.

Countries all over the world have elected women as their leaders.

There are 3 Latin American countries (which are seen as "macho" countries) who have women presidents. Nicaragua has also had a woman president.

Our neighbors to the north had Kim Campell.

Our British friends had Margaret Thatcher for 12 years.

India had Indira Gandhi.

The Philippines has had Corazon Aquino, and they currently have a woman leader.

Should I go on?

Get out from under your rock. You are GOP so, what can we expect?

February 6, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  10. AnnaLee

This title is ridiculus. Completely biased, misleading, how dare you call it "reporting"? The media's bias against Hillary is almost disgusting. What's their problem? Shame on you CNN!

February 6, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  11. Benjamin

Missouri was a near draw, with a negligible difference. Barely goes one way or the other...look for it to tell you nothing.

February 6, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  12. Lee

The only thing I hate from Barack Obama is that it looks like he just knows how to talk all the good things while everyone has already known that he can't even do a thing to whatever he wanted to say in his ad!. All he wanted to do is "I want this, I want that....blah...blah" in his ad. And I have to say that it looks like CNN is being angry with the results from California!.

February 6, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  13. Hillary

Without looking at the final vote and comparing that to the electorate, you can't be sure whites really voted for Obama as much as they say. People often lie so they don't appear racist. Also, you can't take an exit poll of the early voters. I believe the white vote was close, but I'm skeptical that more whites voted for him than for Hillary.

February 6, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  14. guy strohmeier

Ben, You can be sure that no Republicans I know will ever vote for Hillary.

February 6, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  15. Sarah

mike you got it right.

February 6, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  16. SF, CA

Zipo,

My parents are not illegal immigrants, and I ALWAYS vote Democrat – REGARDLESS of race, gender.

My brother in MN voted for Obama.

Stop your generalizing, and you'll be a much happier person.

February 6, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  17. Boogie

PEOPLE...don't be fooled by these angry comments!!!
    Most voters don't spend there time being influenced by hateful rhetoric on the web...they have real jobs and real opinions.

If Clinton wins the nom...a TINY percentage of sore losers will vote against her...the rest of the country is NOT that angry...only us nerds on the internet.

I'm a dedicated Hillary supporter...but, I'm a DEMOCRAT FIRST...both candidates will do pretty much the same thing in reality.

I think Obama is a arrogant, government demonizing, televangilist...but, I'll still vote for him if he wins...we HAVE TO SAVE OUR SUPREME COURT NOMINEES!!!
    Take a chill and live to fight/vote another day.
    Many people died so we could have this choice!
    It's a privlege.

February 6, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  18. Rebecca - CA

I am a democrat (white woman, over 50)...never voted any other way, because there was always a Dem available to trust and support. If Hillary were to win the nomination, I will vote for "Character" first.... gotta give that one to McCain. It is not over just becuase of Cali's vote. I predict that many of these predominantly Red states with predominantly white voters who have voted overwhelmingly for Obama are anti-Hillary voters. Like I said, when it is a choice between Hillary and John McCain, we would have to actually "believe" Hillary to support her...the only thing I believe about Hillary is that she is an extremely ambitious politician... not at all a champion of the people.

February 6, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  19. Aloha Independent for Unbias and Objective Media Coverage

Here We Go Again
    The downplay of a Senator Clinton's victory by bias and subjective reporting runs rampit. This report is evident of that statement.

February 6, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  20. dan

absentee ballots and early voting played a large role in the Clinton victory... its got its upsides and downsides.

February 6, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  21. Jasira

Its funny that people are complaining about race & gender being a factor in this election. It was always a factor in politics. In 230 some odd years there's never been a racial minority, female, or combination of both so close to receiving a US Presidential nomination. Were there never any that could do the job? Of course there were but bigotry and prejudice held them back. White males and white women have been keeping white males in the most powerful positions of political office since this country began and only now, after re-electing the worst President in our history and allowing this country to crumble, are they desperate enough to consider the possibility of giving someone "different" a chance.

I am black and since gaining the right to vote over 20 years ago I have always done so for one white male or another for President. Racial minorities have demonstrated our willingness to cast our votes for people who don't look like us. Black people helped carry Bill Clinton in office with over 80% of our vote. Black women afforded Hillary and many other white women the opportunity to sit with the most powerful leader in the free world as his First Lady – a title no black woman has worn. Black people voted overwhelmingly for Gore and Kerry. It was not us who dropped the ball and allowed Bush a 2nd term.

This time its the majorities turn to us show that they can vote for people who don't look like themselves or aren't the same sex as themselves. As a black woman I say that I've already proven myself and done my part. I like Obama's message. I think he can be a voice of reason in this troubled world. I think he can do the job well with the right advisors as every President needs. I trust that he's got black people's best interest at heart as well as the rest of America and I have never had that comfort. I'm not going to feel guilty about voting on that basis alone.

February 6, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  22. dar1031

YES HILLARY CLINTON WINS CALIFORNIA BY A LANDSLIDE

SHE IS NOT THE STATUS QUO CLUTCHING HER PEARLS AT THE THE YACHT CLUB LIKE SOME NONINFORMS PONDER..

YES CLINTON TAKES CALIFORNIA... READ EM AND WEEP. THE NUMBERS HAVE SPOKEN..

GO ALL THE WAY HILLARY CLINTON
    GO VOTE FOR CLINTON BECAUSE YOUR GREAT GRANDMOTHER COULD NOT.

February 6, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  23. Samson

I am an Asian American in Los Angeles, CA. I really tried hard to find reasons to vote for Obama. I've gone to his website to read up his issues. I've gone to his rally. I watched the debates. But in the end, he reminded me too much like Bush: arrogant, condescending, chauvinistic. He rallied behind change, yet has he changed Illinois politics much? He voted "present" because it's part of the Illinois "rough and tumble" politics. Instead, he should've voted yes/no on important issues if he were as independent and free from "same old" as he claimed. I would've loved to vote for the first African-American president today, but Obama was not the man. I'm glad my vote helped California be Clinton Country!!!

February 6, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  24. Mike

HILLARY CLINTON is Tracy Flick as portrayed by Reese Witherspoon in the movie "Election".

Tracy Flick is an overachiever. She is smart, brilliant, and ambitious, but cold, ruthless and manipulative and running for school president.

Matthew Broderick (her teacher) cannot stand her so he persuades a less smarter but more popular jock everyone likes and who is basically an overall good guy (similar to Obama) to run against her. Tracy does her opponent in, then slowly drives Matthew Broderick, the voice of conscience, into ruin.

I swear, watching what is happening now is like seeing a rerun of 'Election', only real-life adult version.

Everyone should watch the movie 'Election'.

February 6, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  25. Paul Ooi

It's not that we "hate'" Obama because he's black. His speeches make broad "wonderful" statements but where's the substance? How does he plan to unite all Americans when his campaign was so heavily grounded in appealing to the African American community in the inner cities and deep South? The man just does not come across as being practical or worst still, smacks of insincerity. If there was an African American personlaity that I could have voted for , Collin Powell would have fitted the bill better as a man who spoke his conscience in admitting the mistakes on his speech to the UN. Obama is conveniently absent from having to make all those tough calls.

Some people want change at all cost but some changes can be for the worse. We have already lost almost 8 years to the Bush administration, but going for another greenhorn in the Oval office does not make things right. America cannot afford another failed experiment whether Democrat or Republican.

Will Mr. Schneider care to have some salt with his crow?

February 6, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |